cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Card Locked

Kovalchuk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey all,

I'm trying to switch my dad from Virgin to PM. We opened the account no problem and clicked transfer number over. Everything looked good but now when I put the PM SIM card into his phone it says the SIM card is locked. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Kovie 

8 REPLIES 8

Kovalchuk

Phone was locked. Thanks all 🙂

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@Kovalchuk wrote:

Hey all,

I'm trying to switch my dad from Virgin to PM. We opened the account no problem and clicked transfer number over. Everything looked good but now when I put the PM SIM card into his phone it says the SIM card is locked. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Kovie 

You can't use it until getting the unlock code from Virgin. The unlock code will be free.  They sometime give hard time if you are not a customer any more, but if you are still customer, they have no choice.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Kovalchuk wrote:

Hey all,

Thanks,

Kovie 

@Kovalchuk Hi Kovie, it could be the phone locked by Virgin. You have to ask Virgin to unlock it. 

Jadebug
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

From Wikipedia:

A SIM lock, simlock, network lock, carrier lock or (master) subsidy lock is a technical restriction built into GSM and CDMA[1] mobile phones by mobile phone manufacturers for use by service providers to restrict the use of these phones to specific countries and/or networks. This is in contrast to a phone (retrospectively called SIM-free or unlocked) that does not impose any SIM restrictions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_lock

In Laymen's term, the phone is locked to only use certain cellphone providers, in this case Virgin Mobile. You would need to contact them to unlock your device:

https://www.virginmobile.ca/en/support/faq.html?q=unlocking-your-phone

Good luck.

@Kovalchuk wrote:

That was my initial thinking. I thought only SIM cards could get locked, not entire phones

Yes your phone can be locked from the last company and if it is the case you need to contact them to unlock your phone..and it's free..

@KovalchukPhones get locked too. You will have to contact Virgin for the unlock code.

Kovalchuk

That was my initial thinking. I thought only SIM cards could get locked, not entire phones

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Kovalchuk wrote:

Hey all,

Thanks,

Kovie 

@Kovalchuk 

Is his phone unlocked ?

Need Help? Let's chat.