cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Card Activation

Lab
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

For new activation on Public Mobile, should the sim card be inserted into the phone before starting the sim card activation process? If the phone is not eligible to be transferred to Public Mobile, will the sim card that was removed work when it is put back into the phone?

14 REPLIES 14

@Wheezser  Look at you offering solutions already! A "newbie" in name only. Welcome to public mobile and welcome to the community! I see a community reward in your future.

Wheezser

I have a Galaxy S9 Plus and I just literally activated my account "WITH NEW NUMBER"while I had my Rogers SIM in the phone. Then I put the public SIM after activation and it immediately worked without even a restart on the phone.

I would recommend a backup and reset to factory before you even put a new SIM  if you're having issues

DL888
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I don't think it matters...

@Lab wrote:

This phone was originally activated on a business account and was transferred to an individual personal account last month.  That as you say is probably why it cannot be transferred. Any other suggestion on how I may get it authorized on Public Mobile? Thanks for your help.

@Lab  You should be able to transfer your personal account phone number without any issue. You can complete the PM activation and choose a temp number. Once you activation is complete and your online selfserve account is created you can go into selfserve and chose the "Change phone number" option on the landing page and just enter the previous provider account number, name on account and the phone number and the port request will be initiated.

If you need moderator assistance just submit a ticket. To submit a ticket to Public Mobile do the following: PMST.png

@Lab 

If you transferred from business to individual account, it should be fine.  Make sure that you old account is "active" for port to be successful.  

Then you may need moderator help to transfer your phone number over.  You may want to activate with temporary new Public mobile number first, then ask for port to be completed.

Click on the right lower question mark on this website to start the ticketing process to get moderator help.  

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@LabPublic Mobile can't do anything until you have activated an account with Public Mobile.

The phone is not in question but the phone number is.  Once you started a new account and want to transfer the number you will then need to contact the moderators by clicking on the ? in the lower right hand corner, chat with SIMon, once you think it understands what you need, type submit ticket, so a support ticket will be generated for you.

However do have your name that is on the account, account number, the number and other pertient information handy. Also make sure your number's account is still active and of course paid in full.

Lab

This phone was originally activated on a business account and was transferred to an individual personal account last month.  That as you say is probably why it cannot be transferred. Any other suggestion on how I may get it authorized on Public Mobile? Thanks for your help.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@LabThose are 2 seperate issues.

Phones eligilbility has to do whether the phone is compatible with Public Mobile. The widget there is for reference and not authoratative. Make sure your phone supports 3G Band 2 and 5 (at the minimum).

Unable to transfer phone number has to do with your number, especially if it is a commercial number or numbers that are via Koodo prepaid you will require Moderator intervention and cannot be done automatically. I would suggest you aquire a temporary number during sign up and transfer the number once everything is all setup.

@Lab wrote:

What I mean by "not eligible" is during sim card activation when you get to the step "Check Eligibility" and the message says "Unable to transfer the phone number you entered".  I got that message but I did not have the Public Mobile sim card in the phone so I was wondiering if it needs to be in the phone for the phone to be "eligible".

No, doesn't matter

Lab

What I mean by "not eligible" is during sim card activation when you get to the step "Check Eligibility" and the message says "Unable to transfer the phone number you entered".  I got that message but I did not have the Public Mobile sim card in the phone so I was wondiering if it needs to be in the phone for the phone to be "eligible".

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@Lab wrote:

For new activation on Public Mobile, should the sim card be inserted into the phone before starting the sim card activation process? If the phone is not eligible to be transferred to Public Mobile, will the sim card that was removed work when it is put back into the phone?

If number is not eligible to be transfered, you can choose a new phone number at activation.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@LabI would suggest leave the SIM card out until you have activated the SIM card.

IT depends what you mean by "not elligible".. is it blacklisted? or it doesn't have bands that is needed by Public Mobile? If it is the either case, the SIM card won't work period.

Glenn1

Use step 1 to check your phone's compatibility prior to activation.  Follow the instructions

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Lab  it doesn't matter, I've done it either way! Sometimes you have to restart your phone after the activation. As for the old Sim it will still work if you put it back in the phone 

Need Help? Let's chat.