cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signup process help

markkatz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have just purchased a new SIM card and am wanting to activate it with a new plan.

I am confused with the activation process. During the signup process I am asked to enter a phone number. Do I just make one up or do I need to have an existing mobile number to join Public Mobile?

When I enter a random phone number it asks me to provide information for that phone number (Service provider, address, etc..). Does this mean the phone number is already taken?

Please help.

Thank you.

13 REPLIES 13

@markkatz wrote:

For example, I want a 778 area code, however in my city the overlay is 778 and 256 but only 256 is available to choose from.

If I pick a neighbouring city, it does have the 778 area code overlay available.

Would I have any issues if picking a neighbouring city?

As @computergeek541 mentioned, it doesn't make a difference to your billing, but it might to the person who calls you, if their provider restricts their local calling options.

My assumption is that you only get offered 256-xxx-xxxx numbers because Telus is running low on 778-xxx-xxxx for Vancouver (my guess?). So they offer the remaining 778-xxx-xxxx to first tier / Telus customers while Public Mobile customers get to choose from 256-xxx-xxxx numbers. (Same over here on the Island - when I first signed up I was able to choose a 250-xxx-xxxx number, now I only have access to 778-xxx-xxxx...)

One option, if you are willing to spend the time and money, is to find out if there are other carriers out there that still offer 778-xxx-xxxx for your local area. Sign up with them and then port that number to Public Mobile.

@markkatz wrote:

For example, I want a 778 area code, however in my city the overlay is 778 and 256 but only 256 is available to choose from.

If I pick a neighbouring city, it does have the 778 area code overlay available.

For you to make or receive calls on your cell phone, it makes no difference at Public Mobile.  However, each prefix (the first 3 numbers after the area code) determine which city the phone number belongs to. While all Public Mobile calling plans include at least province-wide phones calls, all phone numbers have local calling areas.  What does this mean?

When someone calls you, they have a preset cities that they can call to without it being considered long distance.  So, choosing a neighboring city could possibly make people calling you have to pay long distance charges that they normally wouldn't have to for calling people located where you are.

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@markkatz wrote:

Unfortunately that question is outside my scope of knowledge and experience. Hopefully someone else could provide a better answer to that question. If you start a separate thread on it, community members might be able to find it easier and share their experiences and give you a better answer.

@markkatz Your activation has hung up. Start again at              Activate a SIM Card            after clearing your browser's cache, close your browser, and open on incognito/private mode; or use a different browser. 

If you get  a message "invalid SIM", you will need to wait until tomorrow to clear the partial activation. 

If failure continues tomorrow, click this: message to moderators to send a private message to the moderator team with a description of your issue along with your SIM number. 

Moderator hours are: Monday to Friday, 9 am (ET) to 9 pm (ET); Saturday - Sunday 9 am (ET) - 7:30 pm (ET). Usually they answer within in 24 hours, but can take a few days.

BE PREPARED

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

markkatz

Jarvar

Glad that was sorted out @markkatz

Could you be more specific about the different city for a desired area code?

I think your location would play a more important role than the area code. Public Mobile uses the same network as Telus and Koodo for it's cellular service so the area code is more likely connected to the pool of numbers available which you could choose from.

However if anyone has more experience with this it would be helpful for them to chime in.

markkatz

It was in fact a glitch within google chrome, thank you for the suggestion.

I now have a different question regarding choosing phone numbers. Does choosing a different city for a desired area code affect quality of service?

Jarvar

@markkatz

What Browser are you using? There could be a glitch. I think there is supposed to be a radio button that lets you choose the option of selecting a new numbers. 

publicmobilechooseport.jpg

markkatz

Second phase in SIM activationSecond phase in SIM activation

I am not sure what to enter here.

Jarvar

@markkatz I see you can enter in a phone number of someone who referred you. If you don't have a referral number you can select No as well. 

As for the other number request, are you talking about an Alternate number? That field does not seem to be required.

I hope that helps.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@markkatz I think you are using the create account instead of the activate sim link.

Don't forget when activating to check the I was referred box and enter a number from a pm customer).  That will give you a $10 credit and the reference a2$ monthly reward

markkatz

During the second step of activating my SIM, I am prompted to enter a phone number. What number am I supposed to enter if I don't already have one from a different carrier?

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Use this link to activate your sim:

https://activate.publicmobile.ca/

You will then have your Public Mobile number.

After you do that, use this link to create a selfserve account:

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/self-registration/

Need Help? Let's chat.