cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signed up for 3G but getting LTE speed

rommi_73
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

New here. Just signed up today for 500 MB of 3G data.

Tested my speed using the Speedtest app and surprised by seeing LTE speed at

• 37Mbps down and
  • 35Mbps up.

Is this normal?

20 REPLIES 20

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jp2 in fairness, that is by far the fastest speed test result I've ever gotten. It was taken at my office, near downtown Vancouver. In most areas including the suburb in which I live, I get nowhere near those speeds.  And yeah, my home internet is a 75Mbps plan which routinely speed tests around 85, and our office WiFi is a 150Mbps business cable package--this particular Koodo test puts them both to shame!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Wow you have fast data. It must be nice to be in Vancover; I can't even get those speeds on my home wifi

jp2

It could depend on which site you use. I used the chrome speed test

srlawren

@jp2 wrote:

Tipically a speed test will use around 40MB depending on speed. LTE speed used 41MB on my mobile device. 

@jp2 can be much higher. I did a test earlier this week which used 120MB during the download part and 60.5 during the upload test. 

Screenshot_20180403-153015-01.jpeg

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

jp2

Tipically a speed test will use around 40MB depending on speed. LTE speed used 41MB on my mobile device. 

@__ wrote:

I've just signed up for a plan today with 1 gig of  3G data and have also been given access to the LTE network. I can only assume that it's temporary and is due to our new activations. It sure will be nice while it lasts! Welcome!

@__

As mentioned further up in this thread ( https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Signed-up-for-3G-but-getting-LTE-spee...) if the network and your phone settings allow it "LTE light" plans (what PM calls "3G") will run on the LTE network and have LTE latency. The difference is that your plan eventually will have throttled upload and download speed.

__

I've just signed up for a plan today with 1 gig of  3G data and have also been given access to the LTE network. I can only assume that it's temporary and is due to our new activations. It sure will be nice while it lasts! Welcome!

The funny thing about Public Mobile charging more for LTE data plans has to do with the fact that the faster speeds help to make you use up your data amount faster, and in turn, increase the possibilty of customers purchasing a seperate data add-on.

In some cases, for profititability, it could work out better for Public Mobile to actually charge less for LTE plans than 3g plans. 

srlawren

@rommi_73 wrote:

Thanks for a qucik reply. 🙂

I should be fine with 3G as well. All I need is Google Maps and Email.

I was just curious.

@rommi_73 yeah the "3G" plans are perfect for that kind of casual usage.  Cheers!

imm1304

At unthrottled LTE speeds, 1 speedtest will easily consume between 90 and 100 MB  

@luke11992 wrote:

@jeffster1970 wrote:

Just be careful with those speed tests..you only have 500MB, that'll get burned through fast, especially at LTE speeds.

How much data does running a speed test usually consume?

luke11992
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@jeffster1970 wrote:

Just be careful with those speed tests..you only have 500MB, that'll get burned through fast, especially at LTE speeds.

How much data does running a speed test usually consume?

jeffster1970

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Getting more than you paid for or deserve is not something people usually bring up. The only reason I can think of is if they are nervoius about it being taken away and want to know when it will likely happen. Enjoy it when you can.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@rommi_73 wrote:

I was just curious.

@rommi_73 you can used offline Google Maps, you need to download offline

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

Try a few more, then you are at the limit! Smiley Happy

Michael77

Good to hear. 

@rommi_73 wrote:

I was just curious.

@rommi_73

Just clarifying that PM's "3G" plans are actually throttled LTE (throttled upload and download speeds, but LTE latency). I know that it's unlikely that it's going to happen but I'd like to have them renamed as something like "LTE light"...

So whenever it's available from the network and your phone settings allow it, you will still be on the LTE network.

Clefort88

Welcome to Public Mobile!!! 

You’ll no doubt love it here!! 

As previously mentioned, it can take a couple days for the throttling to kick in. 

I myself use 3G data, even have my phone toggled to force 3G, and while the difference between the two speeds to palpable, 3G is definitely still fast enough for me. It’s really adequate. Kinda makes me laugh that we’ve got LTE at all, really. 

Anyway, enjoy! 😁

rommi_73

I was just curious.

srlawren

@rommi_73 enjoy it while you can!  it can take up to 72 hours for the throttling to take effect when changing from "3G" to 4G plan, vice-versa, or activating on a new "3G" plan (such as you have done).  Welcome to Public Mobile!

Need Help? Let's chat.