cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up account

emptynoggin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I live in the Yukon and am awaiting a sim card for public mobility and in the meanwhile have been reading up on getting started.

There are some questions I either can't find an answer to or the answers seem incomplete.

I have an unlocked Koodo phone that I bought on Ebay years ago. I have a Bell sim card in it at present, but do not have a contract with anyone. I buy prepaid minutes from Bell as needed.

My questions are:

1) What do I put in the box for account number? Some people say my present phone number. Is this correct?

2) I wish to port this number. Do I need to talk to Bell first? If this number is my account number, can I also put it in the "number to be ported" box?

3) Although this is a Koodo phone, I have never used it through Koodo.On the page for setting up an account it says:

"For Koodo or PC Mobile users, Public Mobile says you need to choose a new number first, then contact them to manually complete the port."

Does this apply even if I never got my existing number through Koodoo? It's a Bell number.

4) "Alternate phone number"?  There seem to be conflicting ideas as to what this is.

5)"Authorization name"  -What is this? My name?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with these questions.

I look forward to being on Public Mobility!

13 REPLIES 13

emptynoggin

Finally, after going over chat online page found the tab to initiate chat and got the account number.

Whew! Wasn't such an easy task!
thanks to all for the help!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Have you tried the bell online chat?

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@emptynoggin wrote:

This is weird. Have accessed my bell account online and nowhere is there an account number given. it just says "prepaid account".

Tried phoning all phone numbers given and only get recorded messages about account is active, but no account number and no option to talk to anyone. will have to wait until I go to town again and talk to them in person.

When I ported over my number from Petro-Canada mobile, I didn't have an account number either.  I just used my phone number.

emptynoggin

This is weird. Have accessed my bell account online and nowhere is there an account number given. it just says "prepaid account".

Tried phoning all phone numbers given and only get recorded messages about account is active, but no account number and no option to talk to anyone. will have to wait until I go to town again and talk to them in person.

mimmo

@SD08 great minds think alike. 🙂

SD08

@emptynoggin

If you need to contact Bell Prepaid, you could try their number from this page: 1-888-466-2453

Might save you a trip.

Edit: ninja'd by @mimmo by a few seconds lol

mimmo

Try calling 1 888 466-2453.

Bell also has an online chat https://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Cell_phone_plans/Prepaid_plans

Hubertzh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

1) the account number for logging the website is your email address as showed

2) no need. After logging into public mobile, you can port your old number by youself. But you need PIN for your bell phone number.

3) do not know

4) do not need to care about this  "Alternate phone number"

5) never had this question

emptynoggin

thanks to all for the swift answers. All replies were helpful except info about bell account. because I just go in and buy minutes as needed, I have never had a Bell statement, and the receipt I get after buying has no account number on it either.

I have tried calling 611 as one person suggested and get only a recorded message that says my account is active but gives no account number and no option to talk to anyone. I guess I will have to wait until my next trip to town (40km away) to ask in person.

other than that, thanks again to all for such quick help.

SD08

@srlawren wrote:

Hi @emptynoggin,

2) No need to talk to Bell.  Put your Bell phone number in as the phone number you wish to port to Public Mobile

@emptynoggin

I have no experience either with ports from Bell, but if I recall correctly, @will13am has often mentioned that Bell could hold up a number port until you contact them, giving them one last chance to persuade you to stay with them. If you find this happens after you initiate the port, then just contact Bell to insist that they proceed with the port.

mimmo

I would simply call 611 from your phone and ask the bell rep what your account number is and possibly the name on tha account.  

srlawren

Hi @emptynoggin,

1) Account number is whatever Bell says is your account number, not your phone number.  Sorry I've never been a Bell customer so I can't tell you where to look, but it should be on all your statements, and if you have a self-serve site at Bell you can sign into, it should show there somewhere too.

2) No need to talk to Bell.  Put your Bell phone number in as the phone number you wish to port to Public Mobile

3) No, it's where your service is coming from.  Pre-paid Koodo and pre-paid PC Mobile accounts share a back-end system with Public Mobile, which is why they need moderator assistance to be transferred.  A Bell number requires no special treatment.

4) Alternate phone number is another phone number you can be reached at if there are issues with your porting request, in case your number is inaccessible due to the issue.  I can tell you in practice there is virtually zero percent chance you will receive a phone call on the number you enter here, but it is a required field.  You can enter your home phone number if you have one, your work phone number if you have one, a parents/spouse's/boyfriend's/girlfriend's/close friend's/cousin's/neighbour's phone number in there--basically any valid phone number other than the one you are trying to port in or the temporary Public Mobile phone number you receive if you first activate with a temporary number.  

5) Put the name that Bell has on record for your account.  If you go by "Bill Smith" at Bell, put in Bill Smith.  If you go by "William J Smith" at Bell, put that in.  Whatever appears on your statements or self-serve account.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

specialK
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@emptynoggin wrote:

I live in the Yukon and am awaiting a sim card for public mobility and in the meanwhile have been reading up on getting started.

There are some questions I either can't find an answer to or the answers seem incomplete.

I have an unlocked Koodo phone that I bought on Ebay years ago. I have a Bell sim card in it at present, but do not have a contract with anyone. I buy prepaid minutes from Bell as needed.

My questions are:

1) What do I put in the box for account number? Some people say my present phone number. Is this correct?

2) I wish to port this number. Do I need to talk to Bell first? If this number is my account number, can I also put it in the "number to be ported" box?

3) Although this is a Koodo phone, I have never used it through Koodo.On the page for setting up an account it says:

"For Koodo or PC Mobile users, Public Mobile says you need to choose a new number first, then contact them to manually complete the port."

Does this apply even if I never got my existing number through Koodoo? It's a Bell number.

4) "Alternate phone number"?  There seem to be conflicting ideas as to what this is.

5)"Authorization name"  -What is this? My name?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with these questions.

I look forward to being on Public Mobility!

1) usually the account number isn't the same as the phone number, can you find a place that says account number here? http://bell.ca/selfserve

2) don't contact bell first, when your number is ported, it will automatically cancel your service with your current provider

3) does not apply since you aren't with koodo or PC

4) phone number in case they need to contact you iirc, it's optional

5) this should be the name associated with your current account with bell

Need Help? Let's chat.