cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Up Email on New Phone

ThisIsMe2021
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just bought a new phone, the number already existed. The guy at the store said to call the number from the phone to set up email. I did. The voice said to enter my password. I put in the same one I use for #611, which works. But the voice said the entry was invalid. What do I do now? 

22 REPLIES 22

@ThisIsMe2021 wrote:

...on my last phone, which I replaced because the hinge broke, it was PM, and I did get the visual VM icons on the front outside screen that let me know I have calls and VMs.

OK... I think you are confusing the terminology... When we hear "visual voicemail" we think of the service where voicemails can be played directly on your phone without having to call into check them - this is a feature of iPhone Androids (and not supported on Public Mobile). The voicemail indicator icon you describe on your flip phone is just a "voicemail indicator" - not "visual voicemail" per se. 😉

Cheers!

@ThisIsMe2021 wrote:

Thanks, again! Well, it seems the reason that call didn't hit the VM was because my cell - a flip phone, BTW, I can't use IPhones or that kind - was in a spot with bad reception. I tried it in a different place and it worked fine. Go figure. 

And also, BTW, on my last phone, which I replaced because the hinge broke, it was PM, and I did get the visual VM icons on the front outside screen that let me know I have calls and VMs. 

Again - weird.

@ThisIsMe2021 

As long as things are working fine, that is great.  

BTW, what you are describing is not true visual voicemail.  It is your phone giving you alerts that somebody left a voicemail.  Public mobile does not support true visual voicemail.  

ThisIsMe2021

Oh, yeah. Just remembered - when there is a message, I actually do get a little notification "sign" when I open the phone. 

It's all so weird. 

ThisIsMe2021

Thanks, again! Well, it seems the reason that call didn't hit the VM was because my cell - a flip phone, BTW, I can't use IPhones or that kind - was in a spot with bad reception. I tried it in a different place and it worked fine. Go figure. 

And also, BTW, on my last phone, which I replaced because the hinge broke, it was PM, and I did get the visual VM icons on the front outside screen that let me know I have calls and VMs. 

Again - weird.

@ThisIsMe2021 

Called which number? Your number? The vm 587 4001 number?

@ThisIsMe2021 

Go into your phone settings, and disable visual voicemail - Public doesnt offer it, so if it is on it might be a leftover setting from your previous carrier.

If incoming calls are not going to voicemail, try dialing this to reset all conditional call forwards: ##004#

Ps: it's voicemail not email 🙂

ThisIsMe2021

Thanks. Got to my email from "1". But then I called the number and the VM never picked up. Now what? It obviously worked OK yesterday when I left myself a message. Also, it's saying that "Visual VM" isn't available until my VM is fully activated. Now what do I have to do? Yeesh.

@ThisIsMe2021 wrote:

Thanks, all! I seem to have done the right thing. I got to change the password. Then I called the cell from the land-line - got my old message from the previous phone incarnation. And left a message. Now I have to figure out how to pick up the messages on the cell. I think that part will be easier. I hope. Thanks, again. 

If long-press of "1" is not reaching your voicemail on your phone, try dialing one of the local voicemail access numbers across Canada directly:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-N...

Normally the number that a long-press of "1" dials is provisioned along with the SIM card and a reboot. Are you on Android of iPhone? Android may let you manually set one of those access numbers for voicemail access within the phone app, and iPhone has a code you can dial to program it.

Worst case, you can just program one of those numbers into one of the other speed dial slots other than "1"...

@ThisIsMe2021 I am assuming that everything is fine and solved. If it is click solved.

@ThisIsMe2021 

It sounds like you had the password bypass set up on your old phone for retrieving messages on your old phone. You should be able to long press ( 1 ) to go to your voicemail. If you are not prompted for your password the you know thats how you had it set. Dialing your number from another phone number you should press ( * ) when your greeting starts and you will be prompted for your password before being able to access your messages.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ThisIsMe2021 wrote:

got my old message from the previous phone incarnation. 

@ThisIsMe2021 : Well that don't sound right 🙂 Did you transfer your number?

ThisIsMe2021

Thanks, all! I seem to have done the right thing. I got to change the password. Then I called the cell from the land-line - got my old message from the previous phone incarnation. And left a message. Now I have to figure out how to pick up the messages on the cell. I think that part will be easier. I hope. Thanks, again. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ThisIsMe2021 : Yes, log in to your self-serve and use that Reset Voicemail password function which then resets it to your 10 digit phone number. Then use that as the password and then change it in the system if you like.

@ThisIsMe2021 

You can reset your voicemail password if you forgot it.  The PIN for 611/account is likely different from your voicemail password.  When you set up your password initially for voicemail,  you would have chosen 4-15 digit password for voicemail.  

Here is the help article:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/reset-your-voicemail-password

@ThisIsMe2021 

So what happens when you long press ( 1 )?

ThisIsMe2021

Yes. I had voicemail on the old phone with the same phone number. Never needed a password to get messages - just clicked the button at the top left of the keypad. 

@ThisIsMe2021 

I'm not sure if there is a timed  lockout (like 1 hour) for voicemail or per call. I might need the in house expert if @Nezgar is around.

Did you previously have voicemail set up with a password?

@ThisIsMe2021 

Are you calling your phone number from another phone? Dial 1 from your phone and set up your voicemail pin# it is not the same as your account pin#. You have to make a new one for voicemail.

ThisIsMe2021

Thanks, but it still isn't working. It just asks for my password. I put enter it and it just says "invalid". It then says to press "star". I press it, and it just asks for the password again. I put it in again and it just says "invalid". And now it's locked because of too many incorrect passwords. Now what? 

ThisIsMe2021

Duh!! Yes. Thanks for noticing.

@ThisIsMe2021 

If you mean voicemail use these instructions;

After you’ve activated, your voicemail is automatically ready to accept messages as soon as you add it to your account. It will play a default greeting until you set it up. Setting it up isn’t complicated:

1. Hold down the ‘1’ key on your phone keypad to dial your voicemail access number. Calling your own 10-digit phone number will also bring you to your voicemail.
  2. When prompted, enter a password between 4 to 15 digits long. Try to make it hard to guess, but easy to remember. It will be more secure if you avoid using numbers that are repetitive or sequential such as ‘1111’ or ‘1234’.
  3. Choose whether you want to bypass your password when calling from your own phone.
  4. Record your name, and a personalized greeting.
  5. When you’re done, hang up to end the call.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ThisIsMe2021 

Do you mean set up your voicemail?

Need Help? Let's chat.