cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set outgoing caller ID?

pajo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

Seeing the Caller ID of incoming calls is great, but how can I set what my outgoing Caller ID is that other people will see when I call them? My number appears, but nothing else. With other phone service providers, my outgoing Caller ID showed my number and name, so recipients knew who was calling. Ideally, Caller ID text would be a field in the My Profile page of my account.

I do know I can use #31# to hide my number (although this displays as "OUT OF AREA") for a call (see https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/call-display-and-call-blocking).

Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18

hi @kyip PM only offers basic number to send out to receiving end, not name.  

kyip
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Rogers/Fido are not alone.  My other line is with Telus and they offer outgoing name display.  I would be surprised if another premium service provider like Bell did not offer outgoing name display.

@srlawren wrote:

@Someone_here do you happen to have a Samsung phone, by chance?  I seem to recall they tend to ship with a built-in service that attempts to look up incoming phone numbers.

On some phones, Samsung uses service called Hiya.  This feature keeps track of spam/scam reports from device users. This service also gives the option to link your name to the phone number to this service's database. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

There are some instances in which some phoens uses software to pull information from the internet about the phone number, but that isn't a service that is being provided by Public Mobile.

@Someone_here do you happen to have a Samsung phone, by chance?  I seem to recall they tend to ship with a built-in service that attempts to look up incoming phone numbers.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Someone_here wrote:

@chukdefatey wrote:

@pajo wrote:

Hi,

Seeing the Caller ID of incoming calls is great, but how can I set what my outgoing Caller ID is that other people will see when I call them? My number appears, but nothing else. With other phone service providers, my outgoing Caller ID showed my number and name, so recipients knew who was calling. Ideally, Caller ID text would be a field in the My Profile page of my account.

I do know I can use #31# to hide my number (although this displays as "OUT OF AREA") for a call (see https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/call-display-and-call-blocking).

Thanks!

What you are asking is not called out going caller ID. It is called outgoing NAME DISPLAY, Rogers, Fido and most Pots Landline offer this service. Rogers and Fido actually even allow you to self change the outgoing Name Display on there App.  I remember just for Fun I set mine up to Donald Trump and every time I would call a Roger, Fido or a Landline my name would Display as Donald Trump and I would get a awesome reaction out of the person or business I was calling. 

I'm with Public Mobile and I do see some people's names being displayed when they call me from their cell phones (obviously in this case people I don't have in my phone book/contacts). Maybe Roger/Fido are the only one sending name info with the phone number, but you don't have to be with Rogers/Fido to receive/see the name when you receive a call.

Like @computergeek541 said above this post some newer phones on the market pull that information from the internet. Public Mobile however doesn't not send the outgoing name display. So if on Public, Telus, Koodo, Bell & Virgin you are seeing a name on an incoming call that is not in your contact list that call is coming from Roger, Fido, POTS Landline & some VoIP Providers and the internet is being used to pull the name Display information

@Someone_here wrote:

I'm with Public Mobile and I do see some people's names being displayed when they call me from their cell phones (obviously in this case people I don't have in my phone book/contacts). Maybe Roger/Fido are the only one sending name info with the phone number, but you don't have to be with Rogers/Fido to receive/see the name when you receive a call.

If the name isn't saved in your contact list, in general, you're only going to see a name if an incoming call is coming from a landline service or from a Rogers or Fido customer. Some VoIP services might also transmit that information.

There are some instances in which some phoens uses software to pull information from the internet about the phone number, but that isn't a service that is being provided by Public Mobile.

As being discussed earlier, Public Mobile does not transmit your name information with outgoing calls.

@chukdefatey wrote:

@pajo wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!

What you are asking is not called out going caller ID. It is called outgoing NAME DISPLAY, Rogers, Fido and most Pots Landline offer this service. Rogers and Fido actually even allow you to self change the outgoing Name Display on there App.  I remember just for Fun I set mine up to Donald Trump and every time I would call a Roger, Fido or a Landline my name would Display as Donald Trump and I would get a awesome reaction out of the person or business I was calling. 

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@pajo wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!

@pajo The only Canadian cell carrier brands that I know that do this are Rogers and Fido.

pajo

@srlawren wrote:

@CS_Agent wrote:

What device are you currently using?

@CS_Agent what difference does it make?  Public Mobile only sends the phone number as outbound Caller ID info.

Exactly - which is why I asked here, but that feature isn't available in PM, apparently. Thanks Moderator. C'est la vie.

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@CS_Agent wrote:

Who are you asking?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CS_Agent wrote:

@CS_Agent what difference does it make?  Public Mobile only sends the phone number as outbound Caller ID info.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

My Caller ID shows phone number and also says British Columbia.    

pajo

@will13am wrote:

@pajo , there's really no workaround for what you want.  That said, those who know you and have your number in their contact list, that is as good as caller ID.  For strangers, do you really want your name displayed when you call them?  

True, but it can be useful when calling landlines, businesses, or people that don't have you in their list yet and you want them to pick up. For strangers, #31# works.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@pajo , there's really no workaround for what you want.  That said, those who know you and have your number in their contact list, that is as good as caller ID.  For strangers, do you really want your name displayed when you call them?  

pajo

I'm disappointed to hear that. How might we request that feature? Any workarounds?

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@pajoit is not an option with Public Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.