cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service

dhs1000
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I ported my Rogers home phone number to a Public Mobile cell. I can call out, texts work in and out, but inbound calls still ring at my home phone, not on the cellphone 

4 REPLIES 4

@computergeek541 wrote:

@esjliv wrote:

@dhs1000 wrote:

I ported my Rogers home phone number to a Public Mobile cell. I can call out, texts work in and out, but inbound calls still ring at my home phone, not on the cellphone 

@dhs1000 

While porting from another cell provider could take 2-3 hours to complete the port, a landline could take up to 7 days (but usually less).

Incoming calls are usually the last to port over.

Make sure you do not cancel your previous provider's services until the port is complete.

See helpful info. here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

I would say that the a customer who is porting out is not supposed to call in to cancel. I know that there are rare cases when this is needed because the old carrier neglects to do it properly. However, this i supposed to be automatic. I consider recommending people call the old carrier to cancel to be ill-advised because much of time, customers do not understand when a port is actually complete (that and the fact that the cancelling is supposed to be done upon port out without the customer requesting it).

@computergeek541  my intention was merely not to cancel the previous provider's services; although, re-reading that sentence I can see it may be suggesting to call them after the port is complete. I've revised my original post, in order not to confuse unnecessary processes.

Of note, when I ported a Bell landline over to Public Mobile, in order to keep my tv/internet services at the time, I did need to contact Bell (PRIOR to porting to PM) to arrange an agreement to keep package pricing at a lower price, OR I would have gotten hit with an increase for less services. 

That could have been an except to the rule though.

@esjliv wrote:

@dhs1000 wrote:

@dhs1000 

While porting from another cell provider could take 2-3 hours to complete the port, a landline could take up to 7 days (but usually less).

Make sure you do not cancel your previous provider's services until the port is complete.

See helpful info. here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

I would say that the a customer who is porting out is not supposed to call in to cancel. I know that there are rare cases when this is needed because the old carrier neglects to do it properly. However, this i supposed to be automatic. I consider recommending people call the old carrier to cancel to be ill-advised because much of time, customers do not understand when a port is actually complete (that and the fact that the cancelling is supposed to be done upon port out without the customer requesting it).

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@dhs1000 wrote:

@dhs1000 

Make sure you do not cancel your previous provider's services.

@dhs1000 wrote:

This is expected behavior. This means that porting isn't complete. Porting from a home phone can take a few days. When porting is complete, your Rogers home phone service will stop working and incoming calls will work on your Public Mobile service.

Need Help? Let's chat.