cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Coverage for 3G data VS LTE

kevin999
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I just signed up for a plan with only 3G data. I am in Northern Ontraio and the coverage map covers my area no problem. I just put in my sim card and it says no service. I heard that the coverage was the same as Telus? I was with Telus before and I had no problem. 

Is it becasue I went with 3G data instead of LTE?

8 REPLIES 8

I think a lot of people have seen that screen lately, especially duing busy server times.  Can you try using a laptop to login? If so, clear your cache and use incognito mode if available.

If not, wait a bit and try again.

There is a system upgrade planned for tonight so if you don't get in tonight, try in the morning.

kevin999

That’s what I thought too. But when I signed up I got the error in the attached picture after submitting my payment.

A157AC4C-E38A-429B-9521-64A6AC654554.jpeg 

But in my account it says that it is active and I see that my data is available in my data usage and my credit card was charged. I’m using an iPhone 7.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

If you set your cell phone to LTE it will connect to LTE if available. Your 3G service is basically throttled LTE, so there should be no difference as far as I can see with LTE or 3G if you don't have service in your area.

I've had times where my LTE changes to H+ especially in rural areas. I'm assuing at those points LTE is not available, but I'm still receiving data.

@kevin999 wrote:

Hi,

I just signed up for a plan with only 3G data. I am in Northern Ontraio and the coverage map covers my area no problem. I just put in my sim card and it says no service. I heard that the coverage was the same as Telus? I was with Telus before and I had no problem. 

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@kevin999 coverage is exactly the same as Telus and Bell. What phone are you using and what area are you in? Are you sure your SIM is activated correctly?

kevin999

Yes, I took out my Telus sim card and put in the PM sim card and I restarted the phone with no success. I can select the PM netwrok in my settings, instead of having it on automatic, but that makes no difference.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kevin999 wrote:

Hi,

PM 3G plan can use both 3G and LTE signals.  The data speed will be throttled down to 3Mbps on LTE signal.

Is your account status active?

Try the lost/stolen phone trick to re-provision your plan features.

1. Login to your self-serve account.
2. Report your phone lost/stolen using [Plan and Add-Ons] --> [Lost/Stolen Phone]
3. Logoff
4. Wait 5 minutes and login again
5. Report your phone found.
6. Re-start you phone to provision your account again. i.e. enable all features of you plan again.

If this trick failed to get thing working again, you should send a private message to moderator for help. But the wait is up to 48 hours. Good luck.
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@kevin999 wrote:

Hi,

@kevin999 Publuc Mobile users LTE for data and texting but uses 3G for calling. Telus also supports VoLTE but PM unfortunately does not so maybe that is the issue. 

Data should work but calling might be an issue if 3G is not available.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kevin999 

Try restart your phone with PM SIM card installed.

Are you using the Telus phone with PM?

Need Help? Let's chat.