cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending SMS – Inconsistent (only working sometimes)

natyd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm having a very frustrating experience with sending text messages.

I'm on an Android phone Honor 7X

My APN settings are:

Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: blank (not set)
Port: blank (not set)
Username: blank (not set)
Password: blank (not set)
Server: Leave blank (not set)
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: blank
APN type: default,mms,supl

APN protocol: IPv4

APN Roaming protocol: IPv4

APN enable

Bearer: unspecified

MVNO type: None

MVNO value: blank (not set)

• I've searched here, and I found some suggestions … but no one is working (I set my APN 3 times with suggestions I had found here, but still inconsistent).
  • I’ve restarted my phone several times

Messages sent to my brother in Spain are working. Messages sent to my friend in Romania, are working almost all the time, but messages sent here in Canada are working rarely.

Any suggestions will be welcome! 

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

17 REPLIES 17

natyd

My problem was soldved but I am not sure how.

There were 3 things that I have done.

1. I migrated my number from PM to Koodo. I had the same problem with KooDo with the same number. The messages were working only sometimes and for some numbers were working always, but for some numbers never. They tried to fix the problem ...

However, I like PM!!!! even if I migrated my number to Koodo.

2. I changed my phone number (I did this myself - self serve)

3. I deleted my APN (because I didn't want my phone to connect to Koodo Data ... I like to connect only to WIFI and if you ask Koodo to remove data, you are charged $2/month).

After doing this 3 things in one day, my sms messages are working 100%. I can send, receive sms without any problem.

Thanks for everyone who tried to help me.

After doing these, all the sms started to work, therefore, my phone was OK.

natyd

Dear @Mary_M

My ticket number was 000000008823631

I am still unable to send messages to some numbers (I can send in Spain to my brother, but not in Canada).

I am still able to receive messages for anyone (Europe or Canada)

I cannot send for example a message to my friend X here in Canada, but I am receiving his messages. In addition, I can send messages to Spain, and receiving them from Spain.

Any help will be welcome.

natyd

Thanks for trying to help.

I set my preferred network type to 3G only ... but that didn't fix the issue.

These are some interesting things:

1. In few rare situations, the sms are delivered to a number and in almost all the situation the sms are not. I am speaking about the same numbers.

2. My phone is telling me - Delivered (but it is not).

3. In the Public Mobile's history I have the confirmation that all my sms are delivered.

3. I can call and received messages from those number where my sms is delivered only sometimes.

4. All my sms to my brother in Spain are working.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

I did everything except trying my mobile sim card in a new phone.

I would like to do that, but I have to find someone first ...  and I have just moved in this new town.

Thanks guys for trying to help.

andy0311
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had a similar issue to what you were having but not sure if the root cause is the same. My phone was switching back and forth between Telus and Public Mobile signals randomly and whenever it's on Telus I can't send any SMS texts out. I went into my phone's settings and set my Preferred Network Type to 3G only (it was on 2G/3G/4G before) and that seems to have fixed the issue for me. I haven't had a "failed to send" text since then. 

Hope this works. 

natyd

Yes, I can call them and they can call me. I have received the message from them ...

natyd

I have just sent you two numbers.

natyd

... and forgot to say that all the messages are seen on my Public Mobile Usage History.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Can you please provide me with the number that you are texting (via private message please) ?

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

natyd

I did everything,

It is not working. However, I had just received messages from my friend, but he didn't receive any of my messages.

11/07/2018 1:41Outgoing Text34336...43364... ON  SMS$0.00
11/07/2018 1:41Outgoing Text34336...34336... ON  SMS$0.00
11/07/2018 1:41Incoming text34336...34336... ON  SMS$0.00

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @natyd,

I've tried doing a few things on my end, can you please power cycle your phone and test out your service? Send a test text to your friend and vice versa (ask them to send you a message).

Let us know how it goes! 🙂

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

wondering if the issue persist if you use a different phone?

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Interesting - let us know the outcome @Mary_M and OP. 

Would be good to hear what the issue was.  

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @will13am,

correct - some numbers are not properly mapped out within ones profile therefor a local call could be treated as a long-distance call. However, I can't confirm this regarding the text messaging. I do know that we have agreements with other carriers within given countries - but not having an agreement with a carrier is very rare. I'll try looking for the list of carriers and get back to you!

Mary

@Mary_M wrote:

Hey @natyd,

please feel free to send us a private message if you're experiencing issues with your text messaging services. We can try to reset the SMS service # for you and further troubleshoot if needed.

Kind regards,

Mary

@Mary_M, I know that the calling feature experiences issues sometimes with account provisioning that causes certain area codes to not be interpreted as being included in the plan calling feature.  Texting is international only and so it should be not subject to limitations on area code, country code, etc.  Just for my benefit, what in the text feature setup can affect why text will work for some areas of the world and not others?  I always thought the issue may be due to compatibility issues between carrier software, aggregators used by carriers, texting apps on the phones.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @natyd,

please feel free to send us a private message if you're experiencing issues with your text messaging services. We can try to reset the SMS service # for you and further troubleshoot if needed.

Kind regards,

Mary

natyd

Thanks for trying to help @will13am,

I changed the app with a new one yesterday. There are no positive results.

Moreover, some of my messages are not visible on my public mobile's history (in the view usage).

Here is an example ...

0/07/2018 11:38Outgoing Text343...460... Spain  SMS$0.00

However, there are messages that aren't there (on the history).

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@natyd, the APN settings are only important for data and MMS.  Regular SMS requires a connection to the network only.  If just a single MMS can be sent successfully, then the APN is correct.  Trying using a different texting app.  You might not like this suggestion, consider using a more modern instant messaging platform.  There are many out there.  SMS is like using windows 95. 

Need Help? Let's chat.