cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send and receive pics and video

Hct398
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do i set my iphone6+ to send and receive pictures and video without a data plan?

14 REPLIES 14

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Anonymous wrote:

@sandpublic wrote:

Instead of using the IP address for MMSC proxy it is better to use the hostname mmscproxy.mobility.ca just in case the IP changes in the future. Also for MMSC Port you can use 8799 instead of 80.

Ok. Cool. But why? I would have to imagine that that ip address is a fixed ip. And why the different port when 80 works anyway and is the standard?

Just curious.

Hostnames should always be preferred over IPs it's a standard practice. Let's say in the future if the provider adds a second IP for load balancing if you use the IP you will not be able to take advantage of it. As for the port I prefer to be with the few and not the many 😊

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sandpublic wrote:

Instead of using the IP address for MMSC proxy it is better to use the hostname mmscproxy.mobility.ca just in case the IP changes in the future. Also for MMSC Port you can use 8799 instead of 80.

Ok. Cool. But why? I would have to imagine that that ip address is a fixed ip. And why the different port when 80 works anyway and is the standard?

Just curious.

sandpublic

@Alex888 wrote:

@Jackhyf63 A picture or video message will count as 1 text message.

@hycm53  You may need to configure your APN settings, they should look like:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com 
Proxy: Leave blank 
Port: Leave blank 
Username: Leave blank 
Password: Leave blank 
Server: Leave blank 
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc 
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18 
MMS port: 80 
MCC: 302 
MNC: 220 
Authentication type: Leave blank 
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

APN protocol: IPv4

APN roaming protocol: IPv4

Bearer: Unspecified

MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

Don't forget to save these settings and then select this APN as the active one.

Android 

Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Iphone

Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Cellular Network
OR
Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network.

@Jackhyf63 A picture or video message will count as 1 text message.

@hycm53  You may need to configure your APN settings, they should look like:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com 
Proxy: Leave blank 
Port: Leave blank 
Username: Leave blank 
Password: Leave blank 
Server: Leave blank 
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc 
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18 
MMS port: 80 
MCC: 302 
MNC: 220 
Authentication type: Leave blank 
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

APN protocol: IPv4

APN roaming protocol: IPv4

Bearer: Unspecified

MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

Don't forget to save these settings and then select this APN as the active one.

Android 

Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Iphone

Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Cellular Network
OR
Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network.

frank312
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

turn on data is good

@Tony8 wrote:

I am also on the $10 plan, limited to 50 min/50texts. I will be changing to the $15 plan with 100 min Talk/Unlimited Texting.  It may be better for you, for the extra $5.   Only messages sent via the messenger app built into your phone will count against the 50 SMS/MMS texts.  Text messages sent by WhatsApp or Hangouts apps are free and unlimited over a Wifi connection at home or at Tim Hortons, Mcdonalds ect.

Text messages sent by the message app on iPhones are free as well when connected to wifi as long as iMessage is turned on in settings.

For my understanding, even if I have a data plan, but if I didn't turn on mobile data service , I couldn't receive picture or sent picture. Since I tried it before, it didn't work. 

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I am also on the $10 plan, limited to 50 min/50texts. I will be changing to the $15 plan with 100 min Talk/Unlimited Texting.  It may be better for you, for the extra $5.   Only messages sent via the messenger app built into your phone will count against the 50 SMS/MMS texts.  Text messages sent by WhatsApp or Hangouts apps are free and unlimited over a Wifi connection at home or at Tim Hortons, Mcdonalds ect.

Jackhyf63

@Alex888  Thanks let me know.but how PM counting the pictures &video for texting?i have only 50text outgoing!

@Jackhyf63 With Public Mobile if your plan includes texting you can send picture and video texts for free without a data plan.

Jackhyf63

@Hct398 I suggest you download some app,like WhatsApp ,TextNow or Wechat,it is free sent or receive pic or video.

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi, i can suggest you install a messaging app like WhatsApp or Hangouts. These apps will work on Wifi or a Data connection. You can purchase add-on data , and turn it on for the odd time you need it ($10/200mb LTE) and it carries over month to month. 

Hct398
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Will try that. Thanks

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@Hct398Turn on your data then send it, you don't need a data plan but it does need a connection. If it's not working go to Settings --> Messaging and make sure MMS is turned on.

Need Help? Let's chat.