cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security PIN from Old Service Provider

timpham87
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am currently with Roger and I do not have the Security PIN.  I would like to join Public Mobile and when I try to set up the account/SIM, the system asks me for the Security SIM from Roger.  Since I do not have this code from Roger, can I bypass this info when setting my account?  Any suggestion?  Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@AE_Collector wrote:

PM asks for some existing account info besides the phone number when porting a number over. If all you had to provide was the phone number to port, you could steal anyone’s phone number you wanted to! Terry

@AE_Collector you only need to provide ONE additional data point beyond the phone number you wish to port and the name that's on your account at the source provider.  If I remember correctly it's something like 1 of:  Account Number, Account PIN, Device IMEI, maybe one other choice that I'm forgetting.  You actually can enter more than 1 of those values if you want, but only 1 is required, and entering more leads to more potential for error and failed port, as @computergeek541 pointed out several responses ago.  EDIT: the community generally recommends using account number, becasue it's generally easy to find on your statements or online account (other than 1 or two providers where you have to contact them to get the account number).  If you try to use your PIN you may mis-remember what you had on file there.  And using your Device IMEI is risky because the one they have on file for you may not be the device you're currently using with them, it might be the device you originally used/bought when you activated with them.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

PM asks for some existing account info besides the phone number when porting a number over. If all you had to provide was the phone number to port, you could steal anyone’s phone number you wanted to! Terry

@timpham87 wrote:

In my original note, I meant the Rogers Account PIN.  However, when I looked closely, it was NOT a mandatory fìeld to set up PM SIM card.  I was able to register and successfully switched to PM.  Thanks much for your help.

@timpham87  Great, thanks for the update and welcome to Public Mobile!! Smiley Happy

timpham87
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

In my original note, I meant the Rogers Account PIN.  However, when I looked closely, it was NOT a mandatory fìeld to set up PM SIM card.  I was able to register and successfully switched to PM.  Thanks much for your help.

@geopublic wrote:

@timpham87 wrote:

I am currently with Roger and I do not have the Security PIN.  I would like to join Public Mobile and when I try to set up the account/SIM, the system asks me for the Security SIM from Roger.  Since I do not have this code from Roger, can I bypass this info when setting my account?  Any suggestion?  Thanks

@timpham87  In order to use your phone with PM you need to call Rogers and ask for the network unlock code. Your phone is locked to Rogers.

Edit: Not applicable if the OP is referring to his account PIN for porting and not a network unlock code for his phone as I originally assumed..

@timpham87  For clarification purposes are you referring to your Rogers account PIN so that you can transfer your number (port) over to PM when activating

or the network unlock code that you phone is asking for when inserting your PM sim?

Help us, so that we can help you! Smiley Happy

If it's a locked phone from Rogers, yes the unlock code can be obtained from the carrier at no cost, and it doesn't matter if the account is in good standing or not, as long as the device has been used for more than 3 months, you rightfully can get it unlocked.  You will have to pay off the device subsidy if there is one, and there will be no cancellation fees charge.

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@timpham87 wrote:

In this case, you have 2 options:

- ask the Rogers for the unlock code for your phone - they are required by regulations to provide you with this unlock code, as long as your account is in good standing order with Rogers (you owe nothing on the account & you've fully paid for your phone); also, you'll need to be able to prove that you're the account holder (your Rogers' pin or with personal questions & answers).....

- you can try an instore/online unlocking service (I've previously used various ebay resellers to unlock my phones ~$5 or less)

@timpham87 wrote:

You don't need it.  In fact, providing more information for number porting can possibly make things worse.  Just use your Rogers account number and you should be fine. Remember not to type in any hyphens or spaces.  

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@timpham87 wrote:

You can call Rogers to set up a PIN.  You don't want to have failed port and waitv2 to 3 days for moderator to work on your port.  At the end, you have to call Rogers anyway.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@timpham87 wrote:

@timpham87  In order to use your phone with PM you need to call Rogers and ask for the network unlock code. Your phone is locked to Rogers.

Edit: Not applicable if the OP is referring to his account PIN for porting and not a network unlock code for his phone as I originally assumed..

Need Help? Let's chat.