cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for GPS

pomlady
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I noticed last night that my cell phone battery was dying fast and it was "searching for GPS" constantly.  I don't know how long this has been going on as I never noticed the blinking GPS light on top, but then I wasn't really looking either.  So I have just been putting the phone on the battery charger more then usual lately.

I did a google search, by the way I have an older Samsung S4; anyway there were a number of things to try by going onto You Tubes, etc.  One was once you had done such and such, take the phone apart, clean contacts and put aluminum foil over contacts, etc. to check your GPS tracker app.  I didn't even know if I had one but I didn't, so downloaded it.  When the GPS was searching it was suppose to show no satellites and once the "fix by You Tube" was done, it was suppose to show a number of satellites.  

Once I downloaded the app, it showed that I did have 23 satellites bouncing bar up and down, so doesn't look like that is the problem.

I was wondering if it was a problem with Public and if anyone else had this problem?  Just wondering before I take my phone apart and start playing with trying to fix it.  Right now I turned off the GPS to stop battery drain.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for any help.

8 REPLIES 8

@andrewg wrote:

This occasionally happens to me. I eventually determined that it was Chrome looking for location. All I have to do is force stop Chrome and relaunch it and the problem goes away.

likely for ad purposes

pomlady

@andrewg wrote:

This occasionally happens to me. I eventually determined that it was Chrome looking for location. All I have to do is force stop Chrome and relaunch it and the problem goes away.

Thanks I will do that.

andrewg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@pomlady wrote:

I noticed last night that my cell phone battery was dying fast and it was "searching for GPS" constantly.  I don't know how long this has been going on as I never noticed the blinking GPS light on top, but then I wasn't really looking either.  So I have just been putting the phone on the battery charger more then usual lately.

I did a google search, by the way I have an older Samsung S4; anyway there were a number of things to try by going onto You Tubes, etc.  One was once you had done such and such, take the phone apart, clean contacts and put aluminum foil over contacts, etc. to check your GPS tracker app.  I didn't even know if I had one but I didn't, so downloaded it.  When the GPS was searching it was suppose to show no satellites and once the "fix by You Tube" was done, it was suppose to show a number of satellites.  

Once I downloaded the app, it showed that I did have 23 satellites bouncing bar up and down, so doesn't look like that is the problem.

I was wondering if it was a problem with Public and if anyone else had this problem?  Just wondering before I take my phone apart and start playing with trying to fix it.  Right now I turned off the GPS to stop battery drain.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for any help.

Apps using location tracking in the background? Go through your app settings and turn it off whereever possible / not needed.

@totalUser wrote:

No issues with my lg like that

I keep gps always off though

I leave gps on for use with my off line maps app. Robot Happy

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

pomlady

@Luddite wrote:

@pomlady GPS functions independently of your cellular carrier. It will function even if you remove the SIM. 

An article that may help: https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/17/17630872/smartphone-battery-gps-location-services

Oh thanks so much, good to know!

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@pomlady GPS functions independently of your cellular carrier. It will function even if you remove the SIM. 

An article that may help: https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/17/17630872/smartphone-battery-gps-location-services

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

No issues with my lg like that

I keep gps always off though

Need Help? Let's chat.