cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam

nedanedayi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just understood that my phpne number was registered by someone else's name in a store. And I have been receiving a phone call from a credit card company which is looking for that person. 
What's wrong??? What should I do???!!!

10 REPLIES 10

nedanedayi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks everybody for your information.

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@jimbobs wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I am a little confused here.  I don't think we own our phone number.  I believe the carriers own them and we have exclusive use rights.  Once we give up that exclusive use right, the carriers can recycle/reissue the number to the next customer.  As part of an identify, the phone number is pretty weak in the importance measure and much different than something like an address, birthday, name.  If I have done a recent number change, calls to that number seeking the previous user will get ignored.  That simple.  Besides if my credit card company were to contact me by phone, they would seek additional personal information for identification purposes.  The fact that I answered the call means nothing. 

All North American phone numbers are part of the NANP (North American Number Plan). In Canada, the administrator of this plan is CNAC (Canadian Numbering Plan Consortium). They own the numbers and allocate them to carriers.  The carriers in turn give them to customers who can uses them, port them to other carriers, etc. etc.  Once you have a number, it's yours as long as you pay the rent for it.

Oops typo CNAC = Canadian Numbering Administration Consortium

http://www.cnac.ca/cnac/cna_consortium.htm

jimbobs

@will13am wrote:

I am a little confused here.  I don't think we own our phone number.  I believe the carriers own them and we have exclusive use rights.  Once we give up that exclusive use right, the carriers can recycle/reissue the number to the next customer.  As part of an identify, the phone number is pretty weak in the importance measure and much different than something like an address, birthday, name.  If I have done a recent number change, calls to that number seeking the previous user will get ignored.  That simple.  Besides if my credit card company were to contact me by phone, they would seek additional personal information for identification purposes.  The fact that I answered the call means nothing. 

All North American phone numbers are part of the NANP (North American Number Plan). In Canada, the administrator of this plan is CNAC (Canadian Numbering Plan Consortium). They own the numbers and allocate them to carriers.  The carriers in turn give them to customers who can uses them, port them to other carriers, etc. etc.  Once you have a number, it's yours as long as you pay the rent for it.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

jimbobs

Whenever you get a call from a collection agency, you need to tell them never to call you on any phone number again and that if they have a collection matter with you, that they should put it in writing and mail it to you.  Furthermore, they may ask you to confirm your address.  Don't!  If they have a legitimate collection claim against you, they will have this information on file.

Please note: none of these are "tricks" to avoid collections. These are the regulations under which they are supposed to operate.  Collections activity are not supposed to increase your costs. Calling or texting does that. Mail does not.

I get the same thing by Canada Post mail.  A person who used to live at my address, multiple letters and bills, and catalogues come to me, and they're not mine.

Sad... I've lived in this place for almost 6 years now.  My phone number hasn't changed in 20 years.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@nedanedayi 

There are a few scenerios here...

The call you got from the "credit card" company could be a scam itself. So don't give out any personal info to unknown callers.

If you do not know anything about the account holder they are mentioning to you, they simply have an incorrect, wrong number.

As usual, be prudent with your existing accounts to make sure nothing odd is happening.

porkchopbread
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sorry to hear. Call block on your phone would be the best suggestion as mentioned above 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nedanedayi wrote:

I just understood that my phpne number was registered by someone else's name in a store. And I have been receiving a phone call from a credit card company which is looking for that person. 

I had the same thing when I activated. It seemed I had taken over someone else's number. I answered the calls and said that that person isn't at this number. I got calls from collectors and such but I've put those number's on block now so it doesn't bother me.

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@nedanedayi wrote:

Tell the company that is not you and explain the situation. Anyone can use anyones number, but using a phone number is different than your real personal information, name, sin, address etc.

You should try and find out what if any information of yours was used. If it was just a phone number you don't have to worry. If this is identity theft you will want to start reading this https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-avoid-or-recover-identity-theft and http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/scams-fraudes/id-theft-vol-eng.htm

Need Help? Let's chat.