cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Samsung Galaxy s7 g930w8 Switching from koodo sim to pm Sim

When I make the switch, can I expect that my device will do an automatic hard factory reset again, like it did when I first put my koodo sim in. Just need to know if I should back up all my data before switching sims ?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Samsung Galaxy s7 g930w8 Switching from koodo sim to pm Sim

Hi @Pawprints1986 

Hope this helps

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mobile-devices/galaxy-smartphone-factory-data-reset-when-i-insert... 

It looks like later model are affected

But I'll be honest it's a good thing to back it up from time to time, just had a family member pay $100 to fix USB port on a piece of junk tablet just to get her stuff back (if she told us we could have maybe done something else) $30 more and she could have had brand new umidigi a5pro

Welcome to pubic mobile

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Pawprints1986  if you backup your data to a Google account it makes it easier to switch. You backup before inserting the PM SIM,  the factory reset occurs  and log back in when its done to restores your contacts etc. But I would try it first without the factory reset. Just switch your SIMS and restart your phone. 

Highlighted

Have a look at this Samsung site:

Galaxy Smartphone - Factory data reset when inserting a new SIM card into your device

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mobile-devices/galaxy-smartphone-factory-data-reset-when-i-insert...

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986  I had an s7 when I first switched to public mobile and mine did not do a factory reset and I came from Eastlink.  I just shut down the phone, changed the Sim  card and when powered up it started working.  I believe I had to do some kind of little update that it prompted me to do but everything worked fine right away! 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Pawprints1986 

Hope this helps

It looks like later model are affected

But I'll be honest it's a good thing to back it up from time to time, just had a family member pay $100 to fix USB port on a piece of junk tablet just to get her stuff back (if she told us we could have maybe done something else) $30 more and she could have had brand new umidigi a5pro

Welcome to pubic mobile

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

When I make the switch, can I expect that my device will do an automatic hard factory reset again, like it did when I first put my koodo sim in. Just need to know if I should back up all my data before switching sims ?

Well, while that would be a good idea anyway, just for a safety net, I shouldn't THINK it'd be necessary, especially after reading the link that @JoyLuck  provided. While my current phone(Galaxy S3) is a fair bit older than yours, it was locked to Koodo when I got it, at which point I unlocked it, and inserted my Lucky SIM, and it didn't do a factory reset automatically.

Highlighted
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@kselmak wrote:

Hi @Pawprints1986 

Hope this helps

See 2 posts above yours...... 😉 

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Pawprints1986, it is always good to make a back-up of your phone, and especially your computer too! As you may know, on a computer, a hard drive can be corrupted, and one could lose everything (maybe, am just paranoid, and I learned from the past, but my hard drive died on me and lost eeeck, my wedding photos!) Wedding photos....holy crap....but, I made a back-up. Not on one external hard drive, but several hard drives. I have now backed up to the cloud too. 

I had an issue with my Whatsapp, so, I backed up WhatsApp junk to Google. De-install it and re-install it and everything was back to normal. 

From time to time, it's a good habit of backing up your phone content. I know the iPhone does it automatically when I plug in my wife's phone into the computer to charge up. 

Lucky for me, when I made the switch to Public Mobile, I bought myself a new phone as a self-reward and had a new phone. But since you are using an existing phone, it should be fine. If in doubt, do a back-up and then start from scratch with a factory reset. Hence, fewer issues quite possible. 

Highlighted

I should have said, I didn't get my phone from koodo, I bought it from best buy online (store, not mobile) unlocked already. But upon that koodo Sim it did reset... But will have a peek at the links provided too!

Highlighted

Pawprints1986, from reading the document, the listed model SM-g930w (yours is g930w8) will reset the FIRST time a sim card is inserted, but if you put a different sim card in after

it will not.