cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy s7 g930w8 Switching from koodo sim to pm Sim

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

When I make the switch, can I expect that my device will do an automatic hard factory reset again, like it did when I first put my koodo sim in. Just need to know if I should back up all my data before switching sims ?

27 REPLIES 27

Pawprints1986

Just coming back to confirm, for anyone with this model anyway, that my phone did in fact not factory reset after the sim swap. I did a backup first to be safe and will keep it, but no reset is official 🙂 of course I can't speak for other models officially, but in case others with this model are looking to switch

Oh and also, my data worked without having to change any settings on my device

One more thing I'm thinking to add, I had a mild heart attack when I got a koodo email stating my service was canceled (not ported)... But not even 2 minutes later got the text from public that I was all set up with the phone number from koodo! 

@Pawprints1986  On my old phone, a Samsung J1 2016,  I didn't have to change my APN  settings. And everything worked properly.  But I did a factory reset before. On my new phone a Umidigi F1 from Amazon I had to set my APN To these below:

Screenshot_20200323-162159.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pawprints1986 

No. Like I said...I don't think I had to do anything. I also don't recall it resetting. But I hadn't moved the phone here from another provider and would have done a factory reset when I got it and the phone would have had no useful data on it...so I don't remember.

Pawprints1986

Yep, mines on 8 as well but I'm fine with that. Still perfectly supported. But are you meaning that not being on 10 means I'll have to manually change those settings ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pawprints1986 

I bought my phone used from a repair store. The previous owner upgraded it to Android 8.0.0. Apparently it's not 10 eligible.

Settings/Connections/Mobile networks/Access Point Names

I'll just type what is set:

whatever name

APN = sp.mb.com

MMSC = http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS proxy = mmscproxy.mobility.ca

MMS Post = 8799

MCC = 302

MNC = 220

APN Type = default,mms,supl (<-hotspotting might need ,dun)

APN Protocol = IPv4

MVNO type = GID

MVNO value = 4D

@CannonFodder wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

1 other related question... Once I'm ported over to PM, will I need to change any settings to be able to access data properly ? Any step by step available regarding that process ? Or because I was koodo which is also telus like PM will it remain the same? 

Fairly recent phones sold by Telus or Kooodo aren't going to need any changes to the APN settings to use data on the device at Public Mobile. 

REALLY!? 😯  I suppose there's something in there relating to "fairly recent phones", because my Galaxy S3, which had APN settings for Koodo still on it, wasn't able to access data on PM 'til I added some APN settings for PM.

It's look like your model was made a few years to early. I know that the 2015 version of the Moto G had Public Mobile settings in there already. I've also tried a few other Telus devices and those didn't need Public Mobile's settings to be entered manually either. 

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

Where can I find the apn settings? Just for reference ?

Meaning on the PM site, not my device. Like the setup instructions

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Multiple-Issues-I-need-help/m-p/50188... 

Pawprints1986

Where can I find the apn settings? Just for reference ?

Meaning on the PM site, not my device. Like the setup instructions

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

1 other related question... Once I'm ported over to PM, will I need to change any settings to be able to access data properly ? Any step by step available regarding that process ? Or because I was koodo which is also telus like PM will it remain the same? 

Fairly recent phones sold by Telus or Kooodo aren't going to need any changes to the APN settings to use data on the device at Public Mobile. 

REALLY!? 😯  I suppose there's something in there relating to "fairly recent phones", because my Galaxy S3, which had APN settings for Koodo still on it, wasn't able to access data on PM 'til I added some APN settings for PM.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pawprints1986 

No. You'll need to set up the Public Mobile APN settings. It may also just do it on it's own. I also have an S7 and I don't recall having to change anything like that. My older Windows Phone yes.

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

Pawprints1986

Anonymous
Not applicable

No I didn't log out. It's the unpredictability that is ridiculous.

@Anonymous wrote:

Frickin' thing. I had it earlier today. Now I don't. Nothing's changed. How ridiculous is that?

Ah, but did you log out between then and now? I have, several times, but it still continues working, but in the past several days, it can be working, and then when I log back in, a few hours later, then it's not working, or vice versa..... 🤔 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Frickin' thing. I had it earlier today. Now I don't. Nothing's changed. How ridiculous is that?

@kselmak wrote:

@CannonFodder 

Yeah I noticed it after posting:)

Btw did some people get the quote button back? I can't find mine anywhere

I miss that little button

Well, as you can see, it's working fine for me, and has been all day..... for a change. However, I won't be holding my breath expecting it to STILL be working tomorrow, but if it is, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

@CannonFodder 

Yeah I noticed it after posting:)

Btw did some people get the quote button back? I can't find mine anywhere

I miss that little button

Pawprints1986

I will update when I make the switch, just in case for anyone else wondering the same with the same model. But to be safe I can do a full backup first just to be safe, rather be too prepared 🙂

Pawprints1986, from reading the document, the listed model SM-g930w (yours is g930w8) will reset the FIRST time a sim card is inserted, but if you put a different sim card in after

it will not.

Pawprints1986

I should have said, I didn't get my phone from koodo, I bought it from best buy online (store, not mobile) unlocked already. But upon that koodo Sim it did reset... But will have a peek at the links provided too!

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986, it is always good to make a back-up of your phone, and especially your computer too! As you may know, on a computer, a hard drive can be corrupted, and one could lose everything (maybe, am just paranoid, and I learned from the past, but my hard drive died on me and lost eeeck, my wedding photos!) Wedding photos....holy crap....but, I made a back-up. Not on one external hard drive, but several hard drives. I have now backed up to the cloud too. 

I had an issue with my Whatsapp, so, I backed up WhatsApp junk to Google. De-install it and re-install it and everything was back to normal. 

From time to time, it's a good habit of backing up your phone content. I know the iPhone does it automatically when I plug in my wife's phone into the computer to charge up. 

Lucky for me, when I made the switch to Public Mobile, I bought myself a new phone as a self-reward and had a new phone. But since you are using an existing phone, it should be fine. If in doubt, do a back-up and then start from scratch with a factory reset. Hence, fewer issues quite possible. 

@kselmak wrote:

Hi @Pawprints1986 

Hope this helps

See 2 posts above yours...... 😉 

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

When I make the switch, can I expect that my device will do an automatic hard factory reset again, like it did when I first put my koodo sim in. Just need to know if I should back up all my data before switching sims ?

Well, while that would be a good idea anyway, just for a safety net, I shouldn't THINK it'd be necessary, especially after reading the link that @JoyLuck  provided. While my current phone(Galaxy S3) is a fair bit older than yours, it was locked to Koodo when I got it, at which point I unlocked it, and inserted my Lucky SIM, and it didn't do a factory reset automatically.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Pawprints1986 

Hope this helps

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mobile-devices/galaxy-smartphone-factory-data-reset-when-i-insert... 

It looks like later model are affected

But I'll be honest it's a good thing to back it up from time to time, just had a family member pay $100 to fix USB port on a piece of junk tablet just to get her stuff back (if she told us we could have maybe done something else) $30 more and she could have had brand new umidigi a5pro

Welcome to public mobile

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986  I had an s7 when I first switched to public mobile and mine did not do a factory reset and I came from Eastlink.  I just shut down the phone, changed the Sim  card and when powered up it started working.  I believe I had to do some kind of little update that it prompted me to do but everything worked fine right away! 

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

Have a look at this Samsung site:

Galaxy Smartphone - Factory data reset when inserting a new SIM card into your device

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mobile-devices/galaxy-smartphone-factory-data-reset-when-i-insert...

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986  if you backup your data to a Google account it makes it easier to switch. You backup before inserting the PM SIM,  the factory reset occurs  and log back in when its done to restores your contacts etc. But I would try it first without the factory reset. Just switch your SIMS and restart your phone. 

Need Help? Let's chat.