cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Neo 5 text works but not phone calling

sjbjoat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My boyfriend just switched from Fido to Public Mobile last night to his Samsung Galaxy Neo 5.  They never sent and sms to his old account before activating.  He can receive and send texts but the phone calling is not working.  His phone is vital to his work.  Any help please????

29 REPLIES 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PJG1234 : Please realize that we're all customers here too. We're all trying to help. Some posts may not be as thorough or clear to those that just want their phone to work and not think about all the technical ins and outs. Some posts, while correct in their own way, may muddy the waters.

I had an old Blackberry phone. Worked great. Still does. But due to the death of that OS, security updates of course stopped. This became apparent connecting to public wifi access points and also the browser started choking on sites. It became too much of a hassle after a while so I moved on. Everything will work but you may start to expose your online activity to criminals. That exposure risk is up to you and your comfort level. But it's just internet access. Calls and texts and picture texts will keep going.

@PJG1234 

Thanks @darlicious and @computergeek541 , you beat me to the punch…having dinner right now.

As the article states, you can bypass the encryption by using Firefox on your phone and use a different browser other than Google.

There could be issues with some apps but we will have to wait and see.

@PJG1234 

Thanks @darlicious and @computergeek541 , you beat me to the punch…having dinner right now.

As the article states, you can bypass the encryption by use Firefox on your phone and use a different browser other than Google.

PJG1234

Ok - thank you for simplifying.

@PJG1234 

Yes it will work for calls, texts and data but you might be denied the ability to access certain secure websites like your online banking for example.

@PJG1234 wrote:

Ok for the tech simpleton and not interested in learning all the vernacular and complicated concepts - all I want to know is whether a Samsung Galaxy Neo 5 will work with the public mobile sim card for phone and text AND data and when you talk about a different browser than what browser should one use - just make it simple and straight up please - I don't want the techno jargon - just the basics

If you use Firefox, you'll be fine. This talk about secure websites not working after that date is unrelated to phone call and text messaging services. 

PJG1234

Ok for the tech simpleton and not interested in learning all the vernacular and complicated concepts - all I want to know is whether a Samsung Galaxy Neo 5 will work with the public mobile sim card for phone and text AND data and when you talk about a different browser than what browser should one use - just make it simple and straight up please - I don't want the techno jargon - just the basics

@PJG1234 wrote:

K well I am very confused.  Will a Samsung Galaxy Neo 5 work after September 1 2021 for phone, text and data or not?  And why say differently if not

Yes, it will continue working.  There's nothing stopping someone from using a different web browser that is compliant with secure website requirements.  Also, text messaging isn't related to to internet usage.

PJG1234

K well I am very confused.  Will a Samsung Galaxy Neo 5 work after September 1 2021 for phone, text and data or not?  And why say differently if not

@PJG1234 wrote:

Yes I realize that - so what you are saying is that unless one gets a new phone with an OS higher than 7.1 their PM sim card will only function as a phone and won't do texts or data?

There's no such restriction when it comes to Public Mobile service and Android operating system version. 

PJG1234

Yes I realize that - so what you are saying is that unless one gets a new phone with an OS higher than 7.1 their PM sim card will only function as a phone and won't do texts or data?

@PJG1234 

Not your sim card @BKNS27 is referring to the OS of your phone.

PJG1234

So are you saying that the public mobile sim card cannot work for texts or anything else - just a phone?

@sjbjoat 

Keep in mind as of September 1, 2021. Any Android phone that is running Android 7.1.1 or older will not encrypted websites or apps.
This mean that the Samsung Galaxy Neo 5 can only be used as a phone.

sjbjoat

Yes - about 30 minutes.  The pin I am referring to is the one that my boyfriend set up when we activated the account and the port calling team said that it was not valid.  So not sure how to reset THAT pin. 

@sjbjoat wrote:

Thanks - did have to use his phone on old SIM.  seems ok now - but 4 digit pin was not validated when we set up - any idea how we can reset that 4 digit pin?

The only way to reset your account PIN is to ask the moderator to do it.  Your PIN isn't usually needed to open a ticket.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sjbjoat : So the transfer completed? The YES worked? What was the time frame? Were you inside the 90 minutes? Insert the new SIM and the 4 digit PIN should arrive from 611.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Only one way to solve your issue , explanation to customer service by Moderator Team

and the are nice service Team the will help you 100%.

you have to Submit a ticket to customer service by Moderator Team,

Here’s how to contact customer service by Moderator Team,

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click HERE to get started.
  • or you can send a private message to Moderator Team  by Click HERE
  • You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

• please include in your message,
  • your account number,
  • your phone number,
  • your account 4 digit pin, you're forgetting the do reset.
  • explanation to them nice Team and nice service.

Good Luck

sjbjoat

Thanks - did have to use his phone on old SIM.  seems ok now - but 4 digit pin was not validated when we set up - any idea how we can reset that 4 digit pin?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@sjbjoat wrote:

My boyfriend just switched from Fido to Public Mobile last night to his Samsung Galaxy Neo 5.  They never sent and sms to his old account before activating.  He can receive and send texts but the phone calling is not working.  His phone is vital to his work.  Any help please????

@sjbjoat 

Reach out to Public Mobile's Moderator team here in order to transfer your existing number to Public Mobile.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sjbjoat : hmm...yeah that number seems to go to some health nonsense thing. I guess all you can do is contact the moderators.

sjbjoat

I tried calling the port number from my phone and it doesn't connect.  Does he have to use his phone?  He could received texts from me and call out but when we put his Fido back in other texts came in that he had not received until then.  Seems Fido is still working.  So we should leave that SIM in?  Seems FIDO is still the active one. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sjbjoat : That text usually has a 90 minute window. Then the transfer attempt expires. It is puzzling that inbound texts worked in that time. How about that Fido account? Still active? Maybe leave the Fido SIM in until it stops working. Then you'd know. But you might need to contact the porting department.

@sjbjoat  you need to call the Porting Support team to confirm the status.  You likely will have to ask them to re-trigger the port process.  In such case, make sure your FIDO sim is in the phone, wait for the text and rely YES within 90 mins.

I will private message you.  Check the Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right)

sjbjoat

Just put in his old SIM and stuff came in including a text from Public Mobile saying that they did not received the confirmation to port the number - so asked to reply with 1 to get a new reinitiation.  So likely should have received a text earlier but didn't wait long enough.  However he still could send and receive texts and call out with the Public Mobile SIM and when you put that SIM in it says he is on Public Mobile.  Have received the text now and have said YES.  Can we switch SIMs now or should we wait?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sjbjoat : Which voicemail box? Fido or here? Maybe try another restart. So you left the Fido SIM in but never got a text? And is that Fido still active? It shouldn't be if incoming texts are working. Is the phone on DND? Is your number mysteriously 🙂 blocked? Is call forwarding all set to somewhere?

sjbjoat

Yes sure about incoming texts.  We did leave the fido sim in waiting for the sms which was never prompted and activated on line and did all steps and it said congratulations you are activated please put in your sim - which we did.  Just tried calling from his phone to mine and it worked fine.  When I try calling him, it goes straight to voice mail

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sjbjoat : Are you sure about incoming texts? Can he call out? Did he leave the Fido SIM in to wait for that text? Where does a call go? Is the Fido still working?

Need Help? Let's chat.