cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS over WIFI

AlbsPhone
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My home always has had borderline reception, But SMS have always been fine from one spot.  I just received a hand me down LG G4, which is a much nicer phone than my old one but doesn't receive sms anywhere at home.

I find myself switching the sim card back to my old motorolla just to check my messages here. 

So I looked into I-message like apps for Android  that would let me message over wifi, but everything I've read says that the carrier must support this? I cant seem to get any to work so I am thinking that Public Mobile does not support text over wifi?

I tried whatsapp but I want to be able to send and receive messages from people that dont have that app.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

7 REPLIES 7

AlbsPhone
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the help everyone,

I just tried TextNow, but I would ideally like to use my Public Mobile phone number to send and receive from, I also saw this regarding the google messages app(see screen shot), It says "You can send texts over Wi-Fi even if you don’t have cell service. Just use Messages as you normally would" When I looked into this more it give the caveat that the carrier must support it.

I might try to mess around more on TextNow, to see if there is a way to use my public mobile number.

sshot.jpg

@TheOldVR wrote:

Don't mean to disagree with an Orable @computergeek541 ... but there are Apps that allow you to send SMS messages with a local phone number and they tend to work well.

There were threats that Telcos were going to block messages from Apps like these but I don't believe that ever materialized.

For example... https://www.textnow.com/

I use that for almost all of my SMS messages and it works great....

Do I get banned for bugging an Oracle?? Smiley Surprised

Kidding... happy Tuesday!

hahaha , it's fine to have a discussion

As for apps that do this, I would agrue that it's not really SMS. SMS is a protocol for sending these messages over the non-data part of the cellular network.  When the internet is being using, that protocol isn't being followed.

When an app does allow a message to be sent and then delivered as SMS/text message to another user, sending it throught he internet is really going to some other company's server through the internet as an instant message, and then delivered to the destination in standard SMS format.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Agreed with OldVR -- SMS can go through a WiFi-connected app, Fongo being another popular WiFi calling/texting option in Canada.

TheOldVR

@computergeek541 wrote:

@AlbsPhone wrote:

My home always has had borderline reception, But SMS have always been fine from one spot.  I just received a hand me down LG G4, which is a much nicer phone than my old one but doesn't receive sms anywhere at home.

I find myself switching the sim card back to my old motorolla just to check my messages here. 

So I looked into I-message like apps for Android  that would let me message over wifi, but everything I've read says that the carrier must support this? I cant seem to get any to work so I am thinking that Public Mobile does not support text over wifi?

I tried whatsapp but I want to be able to send and receive messages from people that dont have that app.

Thanks,

SMS doesn't go through Wi-Fi.  If a message is going through Wi-Fi or cellular data, it isn't SMS any more. 

The type of apps that you are looking for are not SMS-based.  While some of them can be used for SMS purposes if you choose to tell these apps to do that, sending messages through the internet will use up your data (if not connected through Wi-Fi) and such messages can onlly be sent/delivered to people who have that same app installed (while standard SMS can be delivered to anyone).

Don't mean to disagree with an Orable @computergeek541 ... but there are Apps that allow you to send SMS messages with a local phone number and they tend to work well.

There were threats that Telcos were going to block messages from Apps like these but I don't believe that ever materialized.

For example... https://www.textnow.com/

I use that for almost all of my SMS messages and it works great....

Do I get banned for bugging an Oracle?? Smiley Surprised

Kidding... happy Tuesday!

@AlbsPhone wrote:

Thanks,

SMS doesn't go through Wi-Fi.  If a message is going through Wi-Fi or cellular data, it isn't SMS any more. 

The type of apps that you are looking for are not SMS-based.  While some of them can be used for SMS purposes if you choose to tell these apps to do that, sending messages through the internet will use up your data (if not connected through Wi-Fi) and such messages can onlly be sent/delivered to people who have that same app installed (while standard SMS can be delivered to anyone).

TheOldVR

@AlbsPhoneI can't answer about Public Mobile SMS messages over WIFI... unless you have an iPhone in which case you can use iMessage over WIFI.

I also use an app called TextNow... it's free and gives me unlimted texting over WIFI in North America. I have never had a message not go through so it seems to get the job done.

Hope this helps....

You can also use many other apps like Fongo although they charge for text messages.

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Public Mobile does not suppoer Wi-Fi calling afaik.

Need Help? Let's chat.