cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS not sending

Otto
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I just signed up a friend on Public Mobile and helping him get his phone setup. Everything seems to be working but he is unable to send SMS. Receiving SMS, calling and data seem just fine.

I have set the APN settings, confirmed SMSC is correctly set.

It is an international phone (he is from Germany), not sure if this may be part of the issue. He is using a Huawei G8.

Any help?

16 REPLIES 16

@will13am 

Fudley Dudley Google.  Fuddle Duddle Google. Frickin Frackin Google. 4 5 6 it's Google. I said no such thing.....there are three symbols between the F and the K. As in grammar FREAK!

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous @will13am  Ok whoever said Google is your friend is obviously no friend to me. I'm leaving it up to the experts. F#$*k Google...im outta here.......

Hey, no profanity.  Besides there's members here who do not take kindly to poor grammar and spelling.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

Why are you recommending going into service menus?  Doing dirty hacks there could create unintended consequences.

Ok I'll pile on. And the OP had already said he had the correct SMSC #.

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous  That's what I thought. You can't believe everything on the internet.

@Otto  ok try this

If your Android phone doesn't have the 'Message Centre' option available then you can find out what it is by:

Typing *#*#4636#*#* into your phone on the dial screen.

Select Phone information.

Scrolldown and select the SMSC setting.

Why are you recommending going into service menus?  Doing dirty hacks there could create unintended consequences.  If calling works, then it's not a compatibility or connection problem.  I would try clearing cache and force closing the messaging app to see if that helps.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Otto 

This is for A8 and the default messaging program that came with my S7 but it might be similar to that phone.

Go into Settings and then Apps and find whatever texting program you're using and tap Storage then Clear Cache then back then Force Stop - Force Stop. Exit.

Then re-run the messaging program and try.

If the owner of the phone wouldn't mind then also try Clear Data...but that would likely delete a lot than they would like. But it could also fix it.

@Anonymous  That's what I thought. You can't believe everything on the internet.

@Otto  ok try this

If your Android phone doesn't have the 'Message Centre' option available then you can find out what it is by:

Typing *#*#4636#*#* into your phone on the dial screen.

Select Phone information.

Scrolldown and select the SMSC setting.

@Otto wrote:

@DunkmanIssue is resolved by putting the SIM card in a different phone - tried it on mine and was able to send SMS with no issue.

@Otto 

Then it is issue with hardware/setup.  

Maybe try the following: (if not already tried)

1. reboot phone

2. toggle airplane mode on, then off

3. Network reset

4. Factory reset (last resort)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious 

Not sure where you got those instructions but they've cross-confused SMSC with APN. The SMSC is a phone number. That MMSC is an ip address. Very different things.

Otto

@fujiyama This is the number I already have set in there.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Try this number: +16475800172

Otto

@darliciousNope - can not enter periods in the SMS Centre field.

Otto

@DunkmanIssue is resolved by putting the SIM card in a different phone - tried it on mine and was able to send SMS with no issue.

@Otto  Hmmmm.....the article said to contact the service provider for the number. Contact the moderators and ask them. But try 74.49.0.18 first and see if that works.

Otto

@darliciousUnfortunately, I can't find any options in the menu for "Service Center"... I have an option to set the SMS Centre # - but I thought this was a phone number? There is definitely only a single entry, so I wouldn't be able to put in a proxy and port #.

@Otto  Follow these instructions

Set up SMS - Huawei Android

Select Messaging.

Select the Menu button. Note: The Menu button may be placed elsewhere on your screen of your device

Select Settings.

Select SMS center number / Text Message(SMS)

Select Service center. If you cannot find Service center, continue to the next step.

Enter the Service center number and select OK.

Your service centre number is:

MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18

MMS port: 80

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Otto 

APN setting is only necessary for data, not important for texting.  

Maybe try the SIM card in another phone.  To help determine whether hardware issue versus PM service issue.  

Need Help? Let's chat.