cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS issues

blizzard736
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My phone number got transferred from TELUS to Public Mobile last night.

However, I have issues with SMS. Regular messages (let's say from an Android device) are coming through. But iMessages are only coming to my old device (iPhone). Any ideas?

10 REPLIES 10

@blizzard736 wrote:

My new device is also Apple. It receives messages from Android sent to me but does not receive messages from Apple devices.

@blizzard736 

Ensure:

• SMS is enabled
  • MMS is enabled

blizzard736

OK, will try to go step by step. Thank you.

blizzard736

Yes and yes...

@blizzard736 

Sign out of every Apple service and device that uses your Apple ID, except the one you're using to change your Apple ID.
Go to Settings > [your name] > Name, Phone Numbers, Email.
Next to Reachable At, tap Edit > Delete.
Tap Continue and follow the instructions.
After you enter the mobile phone number that you want to use as your Apple ID, a verification code is sent to you at that number. Enter the verification code from the text into the fields provided.
Sign back in to all Apple services with your new Apple ID.

@blizzard736 wrote:

yes, I have two devices from Apple. The device which has had my phone number before is receiving imessages, the "new" device which has this phone number now (also Apple) is receiving only regular messages. Does it make sense?

@blizzard736 I misinterpreted your original post. Did you sign into iCloud on your new device? Did your apple account set up OK when you set up the new phone? What did you do to transfer your old phone to your new phone?

blizzard736

My new device is also Apple. It receives messages from Android sent to me but does not receive messages from Apple devices.

blizzard736

yes, I have two devices from Apple. The device which has had my phone number before is receiving imessages, the "new" device which has this phone number now (also Apple) is receiving only regular messages. Does it make sense?

blizzard736

when you say "their settings" whom do you mean by "them"? Thanks. What is my action here?

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@blizzard736 wrote:

However, I have issues with SMS. Regular messages (let's say from an Android device) are coming through. But iMessages are only coming to my old device (iPhone). Any ideas?

@blizzard736 

Are you using 2 separate devices?   Are they BOTH Apple devices?

iMessages will only be received (and sent) on or from an Apple device. (edit - unless message is converted to SMS if received by Android device)

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@blizzard736 wrote:

@blizzard736 Is your new device Android? If yes the contacts you have with iMessage need to go into their settings and select send as SMS to you. iMessages are sent over data/wifi, SMS's are not.

Need Help? Let's chat.