cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“SIM not provisioned for voice”

notjustanybeth
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello there,

I have a brand new phone, with a new Public Mobile SIM, and I ported my number over from Telus. My husband has the same phone and uses Public Mobile already, also ported from Telus last year, so I know this should work. My Public Mobile account says all is fine, but my phone will not connect to the network at all. The message I have gotten recently is "SIM not provisioned for voice." 

I have tried to chatting with Simon. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to submit a ticket. 

If anyone has any advice I would greatly welcome it. 

cheers!

26 REPLIES 26

notjustanybeth

@CannonFodder wrote:

@notjustanybeth wrote:

I thought I was having some issues with calling and texting, but now I am not sure if it was a problem or not. There is barely any service at my house, so I had to drive somewhere else several times to test it.

So, are you in an area of poor coverage for any/all providers? Our location is somewhat poor, although generally usable, with PM/Telus, but the signal via Rogers is significantly better. Although the coverage map for each of them shows us as being within the coverage area, the map of Canadian cell towers shows the reason for the superior Rogers signal in our area. Maybe you should check it out for your location: Canadian Cell Towers Map 

When I try calling my cell number from my landline, I still don't hear any ringing, it goes to voicemail after a long silent pause. But when I had someone else call me, they did hear ringing, so I don't know what that's about.

My phone still isn't registering the phone number in the phone info, and I can't type it in.

That doesn't sound quite right - in my case, even when I move to another room at home, where I may, or may not lose the connection, my phone still shows my number in the "Settings/More/AboutDevice/Status" section. Although the location of that info may be different on your phone, depending on the brand, and the OS it's running, that info SHOULD remain constant. 🤔 

But maybe that will sort itself out in time. I will check with my husband who has the same phone to see if his number is listed in the phone info section of the settings.

Since you both have the same phone, and both are on PM, is his connectivity equally as bad as yours?

Everyone's service is equally bad. It is a very common sight in the summer to see tourists wandering around with their phones in the air looking for service. This is why most around here still have landlines. I know at least one main business has put in a signal booster, though, which is very helpful.

My old phone had the number listed in the settings, until the number was ported. So, I am hoping that when I am with my phone in an area with good signal strength for a length of time, it will show up. There is a place for it, but it still says, "unknown". 

@notjustanybeth wrote:

I thought I was having some issues with calling and texting, but now I am not sure if it was a problem or not. There is barely any service at my house, so I had to drive somewhere else several times to test it.

So, are you in an area of poor coverage for any/all providers? Our location is somewhat poor, although generally usable, with PM/Telus, but the signal via Rogers is significantly better. Although the coverage map for each of them shows us as being within the coverage area, the map of Canadian cell towers shows the reason for the superior Rogers signal in our area. Maybe you should check it out for your location: Canadian Cell Towers Map 

When I try calling my cell number from my landline, I still don't hear any ringing, it goes to voicemail after a long silent pause. But when I had someone else call me, they did hear ringing, so I don't know what that's about.

My phone still isn't registering the phone number in the phone info, and I can't type it in.

That doesn't sound quite right - in my case, even when I move to another room at home, where I may, or may not lose the connection, my phone still shows my number in the "Settings/More/AboutDevice/Status" section. Although the location of that info may be different on your phone, depending on the brand, and the OS it's running, that info SHOULD remain constant. 🤔 

But maybe that will sort itself out in time. I will check with my husband who has the same phone to see if his number is listed in the phone info section of the settings.

Since you both have the same phone, and both are on PM, is his connectivity equally as bad as yours?

notjustanybeth

@CannonFodder wrote:

@notjustanybeth wrote:

Hello again everyone!

Port is complete! 

Thank you all again for your suggestions and support. Such a great idea, having this forum. Truly diffuses frustration knowing other people have been there, done that, and can help one find solutions. I really appreciate it. Smiley Happy

Excellent - glad to hear it's all workin'!!! 👍 

So, out of curiosity, how long, after you were told it might take up to 24hrs., did it take, before it was completed?

As for the comment above, in bold, you fall into the right category of people to be PM customers, i.e. the ones that see the forum for what it is, and what it can do, whereas the other category of people are pissed-off that there's no phone support line, to have a place to sit on hold for hours, listening to elevator music, while waiting for "the next available representative", JUST so they can talk to a human on the phone.

I checked the time of the messages and it was around noon yesterday I was told 24 hrs. and I received the message today that the port had been completed, at 9:06am. 

notjustanybeth

@CannonFodder wrote:

@notjustanybeth wrote:

Hello again everyone!

Port is complete! 

Thank you all again for your suggestions and support. Such a great idea, having this forum. Truly diffuses frustration knowing other people have been there, done that, and can help one find solutions. I really appreciate it. Smiley Happy

So, out of curiosity, how long, after you were told it might take up to 24hrs., did it take, before it was completed?

As for the comment above, in bold, you fall into the right category of people to be PM customers, i.e. the ones that see the forum for what it is, and what it can do, whereas the other category of people are pissed-off that there's no phone support line, to have a place to sit on hold for hours, listening to elevator music, while waiting for "the next available representative", JUST so they can talk to a human on the phone.

This morning I got a message from the member of the Moderator Team that it should be done, so less than 24 hours. I thought I was having some issues with calling and texting, but now I am not sure if it was a problem or not. There is barely any service at my house, so I had to drive somewhere else several times to test it.

My phone still isn't registering the phone number in the phone info, and I can't type it in. But maybe that will sort itself out in time. I will check with my husband who has the same phone to see if his number is listed in the phone info section of the settings. 

I should also mention that I am very pleased with the excellent service I got from the Moderator Team. Patient and helpful. Smiley Happy

@notjustanybeth wrote:

Hello again everyone!

Port is complete! 

notjustanybeth

Hello again everyone!

Port is complete! 

Cheers! 

@notjustanybeth wrote:

Thank you! I have has sent a message to the Moderator Team. The "Submit a Ticket" form wouldn't actually let me submit. Smiley Tongue

No, my phone wasn't locked. I had a prepaid plan with Telus. 

This is the 2nd problem porting from Telus prepaid that I have see today. So, nothing you can do but wait.

Until it's sorted, if you'd like to be able to call/text, at least while on wifi, check out the Textnow app. I use a similar app from fongo.com as my backup for these situations.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@notjustanybeth wrote:

@notjustanybeth wrote:

Hello there,

I have a brand new phone, with a new Public Mobile SIM, and I ported my number over from Telus. My husband has the same phone and uses Public Mobile already, also ported from Telus last year, so I know this should work. My Public Mobile account says all is fine, but my phone will not connect to the network at all. The message I have gotten recently is "SIM not provisioned for voice." 

I have tried to chatting with Simon. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to submit a ticket. 

cheers!

Hullo all!

I received a reply from a member of the Moderator Team that my porting request was "pending", which means it wasn't sent to my old service provider for approval. It has been escalated to the Porting Team and should be transferred within 24 hours. Fingers crossed!

Thank you so much to everyone for your suggestions and support! Smiley Very Happy

@notjustanybeth That's great news! Hope your issue will be fixed soonSmiley Happy

@notjustanybeth wrote:

Hullo all!

I received a reply from a member of the Moderator Team that my porting request was "pending", which means it wasn't sent to my old service provider for approval. It has been escalated to the Porting Team and should be transferred within 24 hours. Fingers crossed!

Cool - should hopefully be working soon..... do let us know if that was, in fact, what the issue turned out to be. That, and it would be interesting to hear when the service becomes active..... I suspect it'll be significantly sooner than 24hrs., but ya never know.....

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@notjustanybeth wrote:

@notjustanybeth wrote:

Hello there,

cheers!

Hullo all!

Thank you so much to everyone for your suggestions and support! Smiley Very Happy

@notjustanybeth 

I had a feeling it was the porting issue Smiley Happy

cheers

notjustanybeth

@notjustanybeth wrote:

Hello there,

cheers!

Hullo all!

notjustanybeth

@popping wrote:

@notjustanybeth wrote:

Thanks! Yes, I thought of that, too, and did make a payment. But still nothing. Smiley Indifferent

Use your SIM card in your husband's phone and your husband's SIM card in your phone to determine where is the issue is.  Please report result.

Oh, now there's an idea! Of course! He has his phone on him at the moment, but I will try that later if things don't get resolved today. Thank you! Smiley Happy

notjustanybeth

@ddeep91 wrote:

@notjustanybeth wrote:

Thanks! Yes, I thought of that, too, and did make a payment. But still nothing. Smiley Indifferent

let's wait for the mods to get in touch with you. Update us once it's fixed Smiley Happy

Sometimes, it could take 24-48 hours for them to get in touch with you.

Hope this gets resolved asap

cheers

I got a reply to verify my account. Fingers crossed.

Yes, I will let you know what happens. Smiley Happy

Thanks to everyone for their speedy replies! Much appreciated. 

ddeep91

@notjustanybeth wrote:

let's wait for the mods to get in touch with you. Update us once it's fixed Smiley Happy

Sometimes, it could take 24-48 hours for them to get in touch with you.

Hope this gets resolved asap

cheers

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@notjustanybeth wrote:

Use your SIM card in your husband's phone and your husband's SIM card in your phone to determine where is the issue is.  Please report result.

notjustanybeth

popping

@notjustanybeth wrote:

Thank you! I have has sent a message to the Moderator Team. The "Submit a Ticket" form wouldn't actually let me submit. Smiley Tongue

Your account may not provisioned correctly.  If your account status is active, adding $1 may trigger PM server to provision your account again.

You can try your SIM card with your husband's phone to determine whether it is hardware issue or PM configuration issue.

notjustanybeth

notjustanybeth

Thank you. Yes, I have sent a message to the Moderator Team. I think I may have exhausted all my DIY options now. Smiley Happy

notjustanybeth

Smiley Happy No, I didn't choose the data only. I chose one with a low amount of data because I don't generally use much. But thank you for your reply! 

I did reach out to the Moderator Team.

notjustanybeth

I have tried reinserting the SIM card and restarting the phone, more than once, to no avail. Smiley Sad

My old phone is no longer listing my number in the phone identity section in the settings, so I thought that would mean all had been transferred over. I can't put the new SIM in the old phone. I have unfortunately lost the bit of the punch out that would help me fit it in. 

I have sent a message to the Moderator Team. Thank you so much for your reply.

popping

@notjustanybeth 

1.  Is your new phone locked to another provider?

2.  Getting SIMon to let you to submit a ticket is sometime tricky.  Try my procedures.

Create a moderator support ticket for help using the ? button at the right side bottom corner of this page.

1. Tell SIMon what is the issue
2. Ask for "moderator"
3. SIMon will give your 2 choices. Click on the "Account-specific question"
4. Then, click on "No, I want a human"
5. Click "Submit a ticket"
6. Follow instruction to create support ticket.
Good luck.

@notjustanybeth wrote:

Hello there,

cheers!

This sounds to be as if the sim card was never activated, although tthat isn't your fault. Since you've submitted the ticket, I would await a response, The moderators will likely need to complete the activation.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@notjustanybeth wrote:

Hello there,

cheers!

@notjustanybeth  Hopefully you did not purchase the $30 data only plan because that plan does not allow you to make calls.

If you are still having problems contacting Public Mobile then click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

ddeep91

@notjustanybeth wrote:

Hello there,

cheers!

@notjustanybeth 

are you able to try your Telus's Simcard and see if the calls are coming through?.

if that is the case then the port is not completed properly and you will need to get in touch with the mod team to complete the port.

Try restarting reinserting Simcard/restarting phone and see if that changes anything.

If you are still having problems then you will need to submit a ticket to the Moderator Team.

please start a conversation with the Public's virtual assistant, SIMon

• Click The "?" at the bottom right corner.
    This connects to the Autobot Simon.
  • Type "Moderator" and follow the prompts to get to one.

(CLICK on the "account-specific" question and human and submit a ticket)
           Type a message describing the problem and post.

OR

if you are still having issues you can contact them directly using this Moderator Team.

Make sure you enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Cheers

Need Help? Let's chat.