cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM not activated

Rob3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello everyone.  I purchased an unlocked Iphone 7 from Apple and a Public Mobile sim card from WoW.  The fellow at Apple put the sim in for me.

I have completed the registration process with PM this afternoon, registered the SIM number, picked a new phone number (not porting an old one), set up Auto Pay, and received an email back saying all is OK.  Everything went smooth.

However, my phone continues to show the message "No SIM".  How long should I wait for the SIM to become active?  Or is there some other issue either at the PM end or at the Apple settings end?  Should I contact moderators?  Thanks very much.

21 REPLIES 21

@majorchris24 wrote:

i activated my sim did the process and then inserted my sim into my iPhone 5C but it says SIM not supported. do i need to buy a new SIM or do i have to wait for Public Mobile to set up nd activate on their end?

@majorchris24It means that your iPhone is locked to your previous provider and you need to ask them to unlock it.

majorchris24
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

i activated my sim did the process and then inserted my sim into my iPhone 5C but it says SIM not supported. do i need to buy a new SIM or do i have to wait for Public Mobile to set up nd activate on their end?

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Rob3 wrote:

Apple tested my phone and the SIM card and said the latter was defective.  I purchased a new one, changed the number in my account, stuck it in the phone and everything was working as it should.  Thanks everyone for your assistance.

That's great to hear, welcome to Public Mobile!

Rob3

Apple tested my phone and the SIM card and said the latter was defective.  I purchased a new one, changed the number in my account, stuck it in the phone and everything was working as it should.  Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rob3 wrote:

Unfortunately I don't have any other SIM cards to test.  

Thank you for your suggestion though. 

This day has been quite frustrating and I'm not yet sure where to turn.

Another thing to look at before you might get a new SIM is...go to the Change SIM function and re-type in your SIM. It's all numbers. No letters. Maybe there was a mis-type along the way.

Unfortunately, all the site shows is the last 4 digits. I think it should show the whole thing but I don't run the place. 🙂

Pizzaeh

@Rob3 wrote:

@Rob3, don't give up just yet.  It's clear based on the information you've provided and all the things people have had you check, that the SIM card is likely where the issue lies.   Please try to source a new Public Mobile SIM card.  Once you have it, you will have login to your self-serve account and change the SIM.  Then, slide it into the SIM card slot and see if it works.  Please update this thread.   

Publicly_Mobile

In this case you should simply reinsert the SIM card, it may have shifted or been inserted improperly.

anabod
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Activation should be happening immediately. I would try to use a different active SIM card in your new phone to double check the phone SIM card spot working fine. 

I only activated my PM SIM a month ago and once I finished the activating process, I turned my phone off and reboot it. Boom, it worked fine! 

I would try another SIM card in if for any reason didn't work out. I would contact a moderator.  

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Rob3 

You should go back to WOW Mobile to get a replaement SIM card.

sunflowershine

@Rob3 wrote:

@Rob3 Is it possible you haven't set up your account in Public Mobile. You need to activate the card in the system first in order for the SIM to connect to the system. Once you activate and pay, you will be okay. 

Rob3

CalgaryBen

@Rob3 wrote:

I purchased an unlocked Iphone 7 from Apple and a Public Mobile sim card from WoW.  The fellow at Apple put the sim in for me.

However, my phone continues to show the message "No SIM".

"No SIM" means the iPhone isn't reading the SIM card.  A service/provisioning issue would not result in "No SIM" but generally "No Service" instead.  So, I would focus the troubleshooting to the SIM itself.

Given that you have a new iPhone (plus tested in an old iPhone 5 with same result), I'd suspect the SIM card itself to be defective.  It's rare, but can happen.  If you buff the gold coloured contacts to get them shiny and free of fingerprints, re-seat the SIM card in the tray, and re-insert, and still see the same result, then I'd recommend a SIM card replacement.

Do you have a spare (even de-acivated) SIM card available?  Inserting any SIM card should allow you to verify that it's the new SIM at fault (obviously inserting an active SIM should provide service, while an inactive SIM should yield "No Service" as opposed to "No SIM").

@Rob3 wrote:

The SIM card is correctly aligned.  I moved it out to an older IPhone 5.  The message on the older phone is also "No SIM."

My original question is how long does it take PM to activate a new SIM.  When should I contact moderators?  Thanks.

You can already write to the moderator here in case it’s the SIM card here..https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 waiting time is few hours to 2 days.

vinnyc

unlikely but anything possible....bad sim card

Pizzaeh

Let's see if we can get some help from a couple of pros.... @computergeek541 and @CalgaryBen  with the iPhone "No SIM" message in two phones.  

@Rob3 wrote:

I removed the SIM and put it an older Iphone 5.  The message on that older phone is also "No SIM".

My original question is how long should I wait for the SIM to be activated by PM.  Should it be immediate or does it take some hours?  Thanks.

It’s immediately 

Rob3

The SIM card is correctly aligned.  I moved it out to an older IPhone 5.  The message on the older phone is also "No SIM."

My original question is how long does it take PM to activate a new SIM.  When should I contact moderators?  Thanks.

Rob3

I removed the SIM and put it an older Iphone 5.  The message on that older phone is also "No SIM".

My original question is how long should I wait for the SIM to be activated by PM.  Should it be immediate or does it take some hours?  Thanks.

Pizzaeh

@Rob3 wrote:

Hello everyone.  I purchased an unlocked Iphone 7 from Apple and a Public Mobile sim card from WoW.  The fellow at Apple put the sim in for me.

I have completed the registration process with PM this afternoon, registered the SIM number, picked a new phone number (not porting an old one), set up Auto Pay, and received an email back saying all is OK.  Everything went smooth.

However, my phone continues to show the message "No SIM".  How long should I wait for the SIM to become active?  Or is there some other issue either at the PM end or at the Apple settings end?  Should I contact moderators?  Thanks very much.

Agree with @vinnyc and @RobertQc , the phone is not detecting the SIM card.  There have been rare cases where the SIM card is slighthy too thin or the SIM slot is "loose" and the SIM card doesn't make contact with the phone contacts  The 'hokey' solution hack (MacGyver would be proud) was to put pieces of scotch tape (on top) to make it slightly thicker.  Let us know whether it works out for you.

vinnyc

"NO SIM" is a phone error message. reinstall sim card with the metal contacts oriented in the correct position in the sim tray and see if anything changes.

not registered on network message would be a pm problem and would need to contact forum mod

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Rob3 wrote:

"NO SIM" is a little different. Even an inactivated sim should show up as a readable sim card without service. I would try removing the sim and putting it back in, and if it still says no sim, try the sim in another phone. If it works it may be your sim slot/pins. You can also use a small pc of tape on the back of the sim to make it a little wider to help contact the pins if that is the problem

Need Help? Let's chat.