cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM network unlock PIN

nicolejl
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am switching over to Public and using my old number and old phone (Samsung S4 I think). Everything went smoothly with activating my new SIM, but once inserted it and turned my phone back on it is asking for a "SIM network unlock PIN". I have tried 1234 and a master code from my previous carrier (Virgin) that I found online while logged into my account there. I think I've already tried 4-5 pins. What do I do to get my phone up and running?

11 REPLIES 11

@Sumonsrabon wrote:

Please note that this issue has already been solved. Also, a SIM Network Unlock PIN would never be 1234. A phone asking for a SIM Network Unlock PIN means that the device is locked to another carrier.   A SIM card's security feature PIN does have a default of 1234 at Public Mobile, but that isn't what was being asked for in this message thread.

Sumonsrabon

@dharch87 wrote:

Did anyone switch from Bell? I tried to contact them to get the PIN, but the call didn't go through. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one experiencing this. I also submitted a ticket to the Public Mobile in regards to this SIM network unlock PIN, but didn't get any confirmation (eg. confirmation email). Is there a phone number where I can just call these guys directly? TIA. 

Please don't spend any more time trying to speak to moderators about this. Public Mobile cannot provide you with the SIM Network Unlock PIN from a phone locked to a different carrier. In this case, the only carrier that can provide that to you is Bell. In some cases, the device manufactuer can help, or you can purchase service for a third-party reseller for that code.

@dharch87 wrote:

Did anyone switch from Bell? I tried to contact them to get the PIN, but the call didn't go through. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one experiencing this. I also submitted a ticket to the Public Mobile in regards to this SIM network unlock PIN, but didn't get any confirmation (eg. confirmation email). Is there a phone number where I can just call these guys directly? TIA. 

Check your message sent box (envelope icon top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent. Check your inbox, the moderator’s reply will show up there.

There is no PM number to contact them directly.

dharch87

nicolejl

Thanks so much!

nicolejl

Thanks so much! It worked!

@CannonFodder wrote:

@Nezgar wrote:

The unlock code is usually exactly 16 digits.

I think you've inflated that number a wee bit - I'm pretty sure(at least based on the unlock codes I've received) they're half of that, i.e. 8 digits......

Ah, I recently unlocked a couple ZTE wireless home phone boxes, one from Rogers, one from Koodo, and they both had 16 digit unlock codes.

However reading a page about unlock steps over at Virgin Mobile, they clarify "The Network Lock code may be 16, 10 or 8 digits long. If the first digits are all zeros, ignore them and enter the remaining digits."

@Nezgar wrote:

The unlock code is usually exactly 16 digits.

I think you've inflated that number a wee bit - I'm pretty sure(at least based on the unlock codes I've received) they're half of that, i.e. 8 digits......

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

The unlock code will be unique to the phone, and will have to be provided by the previous carrier. They should be able to provide it to you with a quick support call or chat. The unlock code is usually exactly 16 digits. You will need to provide them the IMEI number of your phone. You can get this by dialing *#06# on the locked phone.

Do not waste unlock attempts, after 5 (10?) incorrect attempts, your phone will be permanently locked to Virgin, and there is no way to unlock after that.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@nicolejl  contact either Virgin or Samsung online and ask them for it. Your phone is locked to your Virgin, your previous provider . Welcome to PM .

@nicolejl wrote:

I am switching over to Public and using my old number and old phone (Samsung S4 I think). Everything went smoothly with activating my new SIM, but once inserted it and turned my phone back on it is asking for a "SIM network unlock PIN". I have tried 1234 and a master code from my previous carrier (Virgin) that I found online while logged into my account there. I think I've already tried 4-5 pins. What do I do to get my phone up and running?

Need Help? Let's chat.