cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM network unlock PIN doesn't work...

FredericGagnon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just got a new SIM card and the PIN I chose for it doesn't work for some reason.

6 REPLIES 6

keety
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

What phone do you have?
It's against the CRTC's guidelines to charge customers to unlock phones or to sell locked phones after December 2017. You can call your service provider and request an unlock code for no extra cost. 

FredericGagnon

Thanks a lot for the help!

@FredericGagnon wrote:

First off, I thought the PIN I selected when I bought the plan would unlock it.

Guess I was wrong there.

Second, I had another service provider for this phone before public mobile.

Do I need to contact them for the unlock PIN?

Also what exactly is a carrier phone? It's my first time buying a SIM card myself.

The phone is locked/prohibited by using software to prevent it being used at different cell phone companies.  Only the old carrier can provide that unlock code, or you can buy such an unlock code from private unlock code sellers.  Public Mobile cannot help you with this.

FredericGagnon

First off, I thought the PIN I selected when I bought the plan would unlock it.

Guess I was wrong there.

Second, I had another service provider for this phone before public mobile.

Do I need to contact them for the unlock PIN?

Also what exactly is a carrier phone? It's my first time buying a SIM card myself.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@FredericGagnon, I am confused.  Why do you need to choose a PIN for a SIM card?  Are you referring to the unlock code for your phone because it is locked to a competing carrier?  What model of phone are we talking about here and what timeframe was it purchased?  Effective December 1, phones sold in Canada come unlocked.  For prior purchases unlock codes can be obtained from the issuing carrier free of charge.  BTW, there is usually a limit for the number of entries beyond which the phone is permanently locked and cannot be unlocked. 

@FredericGagnon wrote:

I just got a new SIM card and the PIN I chose for it doesn't work for some reason.

"Sim network unlock PIN" isn't something that you can choose.

A phone asking for that means that your device is locked to another carrier.  You'll need to contact that carrier to get the unlock code.

Need Help? Let's chat.