cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM network PIN Blocked. Enter SIM network PUK

BrettJarvis
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi All, 

I'm running into some issues activating my public moblie SIM. I transferred a moblie number from Rogers service this morning.  Once the rogers sim had deactivated, I booted up my Galaxy S7 with the new public moblie sim and it asked me for a PIN. Assuming it was the PIN that public moblie asked me to set up on account activation, I used that, but it didn't work. Now it's saying "SIM network PIN Blocked. Enter SIM network PUK" and I have no idea what to do. I have no phone service and I need this resolved ASAP.

Thanks,

Brett

49 REPLIES 49

Kendramcquinn
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was trying so hard all day to get my phone set up and was getting so discouraged and was going to go to the provider and spend money to unlock my samsung phone and this answer was my last shot and It worked! So glad you posted this! This is exactly what I needed! 

Kendramcquinn

hazparne

I had the same issue on my Galaxy S7. I got a PIN and PUK from my previous provider (Bell), and 2 PUKs from Public Mobile and nothing worked. I contacted Samsung and obtained the MCK. This can all be done with the chat function in minutes. Everything resolved.

EfanGO
Re: Samsung SIM Network Unlock help

OK, here is the solution to this issue. Wasted too much tnime as I have trying to resolve this problem, so if you need to unlock your Samsung phone, here's how. You will need the following codes:

1) The Master Code Key (MCK), also known as a DEFREEZE or UNFREEZE CODE and/or;

2) A Network Control Key (NCK)also known as an Network Unlocking Code (NUC). This is the main network unlocking code. 

Both of these codes can be obtained directly from Samsung via their live chat feature in a matter of minutes. Don't waste time trying to get them from your old/new service providers.

It's important to note that what Samsung handsets refer to as a "SIM Network PUK" is actually the Master Code Key (MCK). It's exactly the same thing and it seems a poor choice of terminology by Samsung has caused a lot of confusion and wasted time for numerous people. 

Instructions for unlocking. 

1. Power off your device and insert the SIM from your new service provider. 

2. Power on. If your device gives the following message you need to enter the MCK. "SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK." (See step 4 if your phone asks you for a SIM Network unlock PIN). 

3. Enter MCK. It will likely tell you the code was "unsuccessful" however disregard this. 

4. You should now be at a new screen which asks for the "SIM Network Unlock PIN." Enter the NCK here. Note you only get one chance to enter the NCK, so do NOT make a mistake. 

5. You should see a message saying "Network unlock successful." Your phone is now unlocked. 

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@peterd wrote:

I called Rogers and they indicated I still need to get the PUK from Public.

Can you provide me a PUK for my phone.

Can you help with this request

Public Mobile can only Provide a PUK code if you have a Public Mobile SIM Card.  Each Sim Card has a unique PUK code.

FYI: PUK Code get you access back on your Sim card if you have entered your Sim unlock code wrong ten times, Also a PUK code has nothing to do with the phone you are using.  Now an unlock code is completely different from a PUK code and is Phone Specific, An unlock code will unlock your phone so you can use your phone on a different provider. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@peterd wrote:

If it's a Samsung phone they might be able to get that for you. Otherwise, response times seem to have improved around here so either way.

@peterd wrote:

@peterdThe moderator team is the only one who can do that for you

Click this to send them a message.

peterd

BrettJarvis

For those that encounter this issue in the future:

If you get this message you have locked your SIM because you've entered an incorrect unlock code too many times. What you should have entered is the IMEI unlock code provided to you by your old service provider.  Don't bother asking Public Mobile for a PUK because it won't help you.  You need another unlock code from your old service provider.

The first rogers agent I talked to told me that there was nothing they could do because the account was fully cancelled and thus they could no longer provide me a PUK for an account that they no longer had access to. He recommended I buy a new SIM card and try the IMEI Unlock code again. 

Because I am a disagreeable person I called back a few minutes later with the intention of having them reactivate my account, provide the PUK, and then cancel the account once again, however the second Rogers agent was far more helpful. She explained that because it was a Samsung Phone, they could email off for a master unlock code and that she would email it to me when she received it. We ended the conversation, and within 5 minute I received an email with a new code. I entered the code, and it said 'Network Unlock Unsuccessful', which is the SAME thing it says when it fails... HOWEVER, it no longer was asking for the PUK, instead now asking for the Network Unlock PIN.  At this point I entered in the ORIGINAL IMEI Unlock Code and the activation was successful.

A convoluted process but a big thanks to the community for helping to get this resolved. 

@BrettJarvis, install an app such as Fongo, and use it on WiFi.

It will allow you to get a free Canadian telephone number, and use it to make 'almost' Canada-wide calls for free.  They have access to a large pool of local numbers, hopefully, one will work for you.

I use Fongo as my backup number, *just in case* something happens.

BrettJarvis

I really hope that's not the case because I need to make a phone call as soon as possible. If I've lost all service for a few days because of this switch I've really screwed myself over in this decision.

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Response time can be up to a few days!! But it looks like Ashley is right on this, so with any luck she'll be back to you fairly soon!

GC 

BrettJarvis

I've sent a private message. What can I expect the turn around time on this to be?

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hey @BrettJarvis

In this case, please send us a private message, so we can get you the PUK code for the SIM card.

Regards,

Ashley

BrettJarvis

Thank you! Where can I get the PUK code?

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The PUK code is Personal Unblocking Key. When he entered the public mobile PIN instead of the rogers unlock code too many times he became sim blocked. UnBLocking is not the same as unLocking. Now he will have to unblock before unlocking. 

GC 

BrettJarvis

Hi Ashley - I tried power cycling but it still says 'SIM network PIN Blocked. Enter SIM network PUK" and it's not accepting the rogers IMEI unlock code as the PUK.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hey @BrettJarvis !

To answer your question, if Rogers gave you an unlock code, that would have been the PIN to enter, to get your phone working with any provider.

If you still have this PIN, I would advise you to give it a try, power cycle your device and enter your Public Mobile SIM in your phone.

Hopefully this helps!

Ashley

BrettJarvis

Some further information - I already requested the phone to be unlocked by Rogers, and they unlocked it and gave me a IMEI Unlock code. Was this what I should have entered for the PIN?

Need Help? Let's chat.