cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM issue

Alleyoop
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am a Public Mobile client.

I have a working SIM card installed in my Asus Zen phone.

I just bought a refurbished iPhone 7 from Orchard which is unlocked

I took the micro SIM card out of Zen phone, punched out the nano SIM card  out of micro and installed in the iphone7.

Started the manual activation process .

Got an error message that said" The SIM card that you currently installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server.Please insert a new SIM card from a supported carrier"

There you have it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers Al

7 REPLIES 7

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Alleyoop  That message means that you iPhone is locked and it needs to be unlocked by the previous owner or the place that sold you that device.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Alleyoop Hi I am not surprised it's locked they did the same thing to my son but it should be an easy fix just follow instructions already suggested

Here's the iTunes method @Alleyoop . sync to iTunes
1. Insert new working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)
2. Connect to computer with USB cable.
3. Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run
4. iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates
5. Install the carrier profile update (if offered, if not, go to step 6)
6. Disconnect and restart. From @luddite.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Alleyoop This seems to be a problem with where you got the phone from. It is locked with its previous carrier. You will have to contact the carrier it was on before. Try contacting the place you bought it from to see what they say. This is why i don't buy used devices from places like that.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Alleyoop your phone is locked to a previous provider.  Either contact them or Apple to unlock it for you. Stay safe. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Sounds like it's still locked to the original provider.

However.. plug the phone into iTunes and see if it pushes the unlock or any other updates.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Sounds like your iPhone is locked.

If phone is from a Canadian retailer then you can call Apple store to get it unlocked or find out which provider sold you your iPhone and contact your provider to get it unlocked.

Need Help? Let's chat.