cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card updating?

JaneHall
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am activating a new phone and a new PM account. I think I've done everything correctly, the new phone, with its new number worked fine, send and receive.

THEN I decided to see if I could get my old phone number back, so I went through the process and got a message something like: "Transfer Completed".

Here's the problems:

1. The new phone has been "stuck" on "SIM card updating" for about an hour. Is that normal?

2. When I call (from another phone) the old phone number, I get "Not registered on network ".

3. When I call the new number I get same: "Not registered on network"

Its been about 1.5 hours since I did all this.

What do you think? Am I too impatient?

23 REPLIES 23

coolspot

Hi any update regarding the SIM  CARD UPDATING message? Did it go away once the port was complete?

Thanks.

JaneHall

Very interesting, guys...

I don't have another number. The "second" Virgin number is the one I want to port. Its in place in so many spots, I'm reluctant togive it up.

I guess I'll wait a couple of days. I had originally requested that the PM mods do this corrected port, so I can wait a bit and see if anything else happens.

Then I'll try doing it myself.

I'll report back here with the results.

Thanks folks

@stonechucker wrote:

You should be able to do it yourself.  I do recall 'strange' things a few years ago for porting, but most everything has been resolved.

**One thing I remember, the 'alternate' phone number sometimes jumped to the porting number without the user noticing.  Usually happened to people using form filler software or even built-in browser tools.

Best suggestion - double and triple check everything before hitting OK/Submit/Continue button.

I agree and if you have one use a different number than your other Virgin number for a alternate number when attempting to port, maybe a landline. 

You should be able to do it yourself.  I do recall 'strange' things a few years ago for porting, but most everything has been resolved.

**One thing I remember, the 'alternate' phone number sometimes jumped to the porting number without the user noticing.  Usually happened to people using form filler software or even built-in browser tools.

Best suggestion - double and triple check everything before hitting OK/Submit/Continue button.

JaneHall

Well, one of the two problems has been resolved. My hubby's phone number has been ported back to his Virgin phone account.. Happy days!

I don't know if Virgin did this or PM? In any event that problem seems resolved.

Now, I want to port my Virgin number to the new phone on my PM account..

Do you think I should try the online process again? I'm really hesitatnt to do so in case it mixes up my hubby's phone number again.  I'm really not sure if I made the original error or if PM's system did.

I think, despite the long delays, I'll ask the moderators team to port it.

What do you folks think?

Jane

JaneHall

Hmmmm:

"if Public and Virgin got on the same page and talked to each other, "

Doesn't seem likely...

I'm hoping Virgin will take me back, (its actually my husband's phone... he's getting a bit grumpy 🙂

THEN, I can get the PM mods to do the port the way it should have been.

sigh

@kav2001c wrote:

@srlawrencarrier can reverse a port (esp if port was an error)

We have no way of knowing why wrong number was ported but lots of scenarios

I was thinking that they must have a way, although I do not know how they do it.  I'm not sure if the carrier from whom the number was incorrectly taken from can forcibily reverse things, but I'd imagine if Public and Virgin got on the same page and talked to each other, things would likely smooth over a lot more quickly.  Problem right now is the reported delays in being able to reach Public Mobile's moderators.

JaneHall

Yeah, I'm not interested in attaching blame... I just want it fixed...

@srlawrencarrier can reverse a port (esp if port was an error)

We have no way of knowing why wrong number was ported but lots of scenarios

JaneHall

Well, I went ahead and spoke to Virgin... actually, that is Bell, in any event they took all my info and he said it would get done in 24 hours. Hopefully I'll get my phone back to Virgin... Then, I'll work on getting my wife's number properly ported to PM

JaneHall

Hmmmm, not good...

I do have a 1-800 number for Virgin's porting department. A Virgin staffer said I could call them and they would reverse the port that was applied to PM in error.

I can do that ,but I do n't want to make further complications.

What do you think?

@srlawren wrote:

@JaneHall wrote:

Thanks, yes I will do that...   I heard from the moderator team yestertday and went through the identification process, so now I'm just waiting for them to resolve the problem.

The only thing I'm concewrned about is, can they reverse what happened?  HOWEVER IT HAPPENED,  the wrong number got ported from Virgin to PM.. Can they reverse that or must I go to Virgin?

Thanks for your input. I wait somewhat patiently. 🙂

@JaneHall that is an excellent question and to be honest I'm not sure.  @computergeek541 @kav2001c @will13am you guys have any ideas here?

This is messy.  Ports are dealt with by the receiving party.  I am not sure how Public Mobile can do anything now.  

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@JaneHall wrote:

Thanks, yes I will do that...   I heard from the moderator team yestertday and went through the identification process, so now I'm just waiting for them to resolve the problem.

The only thing I'm concewrned about is, can they reverse what happened?  HOWEVER IT HAPPENED,  the wrong number got ported from Virgin to PM.. Can they reverse that or must I go to Virgin?

@JaneHall that is an excellent question and to be honest I'm not sure.  @computergeek541 @kav2001c @will13am you guys have any ideas here?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

JaneHall

srlawren

@JaneHall please keep us posted! 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

JaneHall

@srlawren wrote:

@JaneHall don't visit Freedom Mobile (or Wind, as you said)--they have NOTHING to do with Telus or Public Mobile.  (They are owned by a Telus competitor named Shaw Communications).

It's not really possible that the wrong number was ported unless you entered the wrong number on the porting form.  I'm not really sure what's gone on here but I think you need to wait to hear back from the moderator team. 

Thanks for the info re WIND.

I'm 99% certain I used the right number. But, I'm an often imperfect human.  🙂

I shall await a response from the moderator team.

Thanks

srlawren

@JaneHall don't visit Freedom Mobile (or Wind, as you said)--they have NOTHING to do with Telus or Public Mobile.  (They are owned by a Telus competitor named Shaw Communications).

It's not really possible that the wrong number was ported unless you entered the wrong number on the porting form.  I'm not really sure what's gone on here but I think you need to wait to hear back from the moderator team. 

JaneHall

Is your Virgin SIM still active? Have you tried restarting the phone?

Ha!  So I restarted both phones... and my wife's old phone still works on the 705 number.

My phone is dead on the virgin network.

And the new phone is working on my old number - the 416 number.

So the wrong number was ported to PM. I think Virgin lists my number , (416) first and that was what was used.

Restarting the Jethro seems to have solve the SIM card updating issue... we'll see...

So, I need your advice: Who is the best party to fix this to change the porting?

Thanks for your help.

Jane

JaneHall

So, I just spoke to tech support for the new phone. Its a Jethro SC330v2. Its a 3G phone and its an old style flip phone. I bought it for my wife bcause it pleases her well.

Jethro's tech support told me that the SIM card could not automatically update on a 3G network, and I must take the sim card to a retailer to get them to "update" it. 

I'll try my local WIND store first, since they are also on Telus.

So, hopefully that will solve the SIM card update problem.

On the matter of the porting, I spoke to my old service provider (Virgin/Telus) and she told me that I could contact their "porting" department, and get them to port my number, the 416 number, back to Virgin. She gave me a direct dial number for them. BUT I've written in detail about all this to the MODS here and will leave it in their hands for a day and see what transpires.

What a mess..

@JaneHall wrote:

Hmmm. looks like Virgin is part of Telus..

I think I have a problem.

Virgin is part of the Bell group.

Is your Virgin SIM still active? Have you tried restarting the phone?

JaneHall

Hmmm. looks like Virgin is part of Telus..

I think I have a problem.

JaneHall

From Virgin...

A couple of days!!! egad!

Thanks for the reply.

JDT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

What company are you porting your number from?  Ports from Koodo or Telus should be almost instant, while ports from other companies may technically take a couple days to complete.

Need Help? Let's chat.