cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card purchase

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Can you purchase a pm SIM card online without using the pm site? Can you trace where a SIM card was purchased?

13 REPLIES 13

@ramona30 wrote:

Hello....how can I change sim card for this cellphone:

redmi-note-7

The current generation of Public Mobile sim cards fit any phone.  All you would need to do is take the sim card out fo the old phone and insert it into the new one.

ramona30
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Lol...i was starting to get that feeling

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I thought you were getting a SIM for Walter White

Anonymous
Not applicable

A few weeks ago they had a promo where they made it clear that the email address for the online order had to match the email address used for activation. But this promo doesn't say how they would know.

But I'm a sucker for testing the boundaries. So please do report back your findings.

Really I was only asking the question in regards to fulfilling the statement in the rbc promo: "purchase a SIM card online" which was generally regarded not as a requirement but a directive  in the promo. I just wanted to know if they could easily trace it to possibly deny the promo which wouldn't be the smartest customer service move with a new client. So I agree that they are certainly traceable just not in a cost effective way to deny a promo.  But thanks for all the responses and I will mark this as solved. 007 signing out

@LovesToPM wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

Can you purchase a pm SIM card online without using the pm site?

Yes officially they are sold on Amazon. Unofficially they can also be found on Kijiji and eBay.

@darlicious wrote:

Can you trace where a SIM card was purchased?

Just by looking at a SIM card, we cannot trace the origin. However Public Mobile surely can.

Purchasing from a third-party seller (other than the official Public Mobile Amazon store) on Amazon, eBay, or Kijiji may not always be unofficial.  We do not know every arrangement that Public Mobile has with businesses and resellers, but in some cases, the people and businesses there might have some type of agreement with Public Mobile. 

If Public Mobile wanted to, they could record every sim card number and keep track of where it original went from Public Mobile's warehouse.  Do they do that?  This is likely inside information within Public Mobile, and not necessarily meant for general knowledge, but that's up to Public Mobile if they want to share that information.

Ok what the heck (I can say that can't I?) I going to try the rbc promo tomorrow with a story bought SIM and a non rbc card. I am a customer so well see what happens. I'll report back.....

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious wrote:

Can you purchase a pm SIM card online without using the pm site?

Yes officially they are sold on Amazon. Unofficially they can also be found on Kijiji and eBay.

@darlicious wrote:

Can you trace where a SIM card was purchased?

Just by looking at a SIM card, we cannot trace the origin. However Public Mobile surely can.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@darliciousNearly anything can be traced.. as long as there is enough reasons to do it.. Even kiosks can be traced because they are inside Malls with security cameras. The issue is whether it is worth the authorities to serve the property management / security firms court orders to get those videos.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@darlicious wrote:

Can you purchase a pm SIM card online without using the pm site? Can you trace where a SIM card was purchased?

There will be a trace from the credit card used to make payment. For no trace go to one of the kiosks and pay cash. https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/store-locator

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Amazon.ca sells them. I'm not sure on the other. It won't show inself serve tho if you activate online. And if you activate in store, your self serve is not yet set up. So I'm thinking no.

Need Help? Let's chat.