cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM activated - outgoing calls only

alexttp
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I went through the activation process (including porting the number from Rogers), and concluded it successfully.

Right now I'm experiencing the following issue.

After switching the SIMs (to put the PM one in the phone), I can make outgoing calls that are identified by the recipient as the correct, ported number. Dialling back to the same phone results in "The customer you're calling is unavailable right now."

Is this because the porting process has not been fully completed yet?

10 REPLIES 10

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@cavemantoronto 

Speaking from my own experience, once the ported was successfully completed, all incoming/outgoing calls and texts were working except certain short codes. Other members seemed to have experienced the same. I'm not sure why and your guess is as good as mine, but it's likely to do with security. Considering PM is self-serve, having it blocked (gives owner 2 days to discover number being hijacked) is easier than letting it go through and having to deal with the ensuing headache and potentially stolen identity resulting from 2FA with the use of short codes.

@pmmobile wrote:

@alexttp  @ignazgood  FYI: After porting, you may not receive short codes for 2-3 days from transit or banks (2FA) if you use these kinds of texting/sms services.

Why's that? Once complete, you'll get all texts sent to your number. If not complete, the texts still go to your number but the old carrier. You don't miss anything. It should only take 2 days if porting landline or voip.

pmmobile

@alexttp  @ignazgood  FYI: After porting, you may not receive short codes for 2-3 days from transit or banks (2FA) if you use these kinds of texting/sms services.

pmmobile

@ignazgood wrote:

Transfered a number from Bell about 5-6 hours ago. Text messages (inbound & outbound) work as well as outbound calls. Inbound calls still go to Bell - very frustrating. What to do? Phone has been re-started, SIM has been removed and put back... what else can I try?

@ignazgood  @alexttp  I believe porting normally completes in 1-3 hours. If you are concerned, contact Telus' (owner of PM) porting department at 1-877-TO-TELUS for faster service

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ignazgood wrote:

Transfered a number from Bell about 5-6 hours ago. Text messages (inbound & outbound) work as well as outbound calls. Inbound calls still go to Bell - very frustrating. What to do? Phone has been re-started, SIM has been removed and put back... what else can I try?

Read my post above on number porting 2 stage process.

Port a mobile number can take up to 2 days.  You are waiting from Bell to release your number  For the time being, if your Bell SIM is still working, continue to use your Bell SIM until it stops working which indicates that your port is completed.  Start using your PM SIM card and welcome to PM.

You can create a moderator support ticket for help using the ? button at the right side bottom corner of this page.

ignazgood
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

UFO
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi there, i have the exact same situation when I helped my dad to port his # from Rogers to PM a few days ago.  You just need to wait approximately 30-45 mins, then the porting process will be fully completed.  You should receive a text from Rogers to your phone saying that the number has been ported (even though it hasn't yet) and contact them immediately if you didn't authorize this.

I do agree it was scary to know that you can make outgoing call with PM but incoming calls are still going to through Rogers.  Just need to wait it out.

iliusfaisal
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Did you know the porting number from Rogers is the same as the account number?

Usually, for smooth porting, you need the account number of the previous operator. 

Also, sometimes porting takes some time to be applied fully. So you can wait for a bit. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@alexttp You guessed it correct. Seems like the porting has not yet completed fully. Please allow an hour or so and see if it works. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@alexttp wrote:

I went through the activation process (including porting the number from Rogers), and concluded it successfully.

Right now I'm experiencing the following issue.

After switching the SIMs (to put the PM one in the phone), I can make outgoing calls that are identified by the recipient as the correct, ported number. Dialling back to the same phone results in "The customer you're calling is unavailable right now."

Is this because the porting process has not been fully completed yet?

I ported a Rogers number to PM yesterday.  It took about 35 minutes.  Wait an hour if your Rogers info is correct.

Number porting is a 2 stage process:
Stage 1. After submitted your porting request, PM set up your old number on your PM account. Login to your account. Select the [Plan and Add-Ons] tab. Is your old number showing on the [Plan and Add-Ons] display?
If yes, PM has done its work to setup your old number for you to call out, send text and data.
If no, you should create a support ticket for moderator to investigate. 

Stage 2. Now, you are waiting for your old provider to release you number to PM. Not until your old provider release your number, all the incoming calls and texts will continue to go to your old provider.

Need Help? Let's chat.