cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Required Message

Meanie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My iPhone 5S will not recognise your SIM card. It tells me to in please insert one.

I took it out, made sure it was fitting okay. Put it in. Rebooted phone. Same thing.

Tried to go through ITunes as I saw suggested otherwhere. It says there is no SIM installed.

My previous carrier was Virgin, and my phone isn't locked to them. 

Tell me how I can get the $45+ I just put on my credit card refunded for services not provided, or please tell me how to fix it.

16 REPLIES 16

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@lstokes wrote:

@Wonder_why iPhones dont use unlock codes. It's all handled on the carriers end.

Thanks for the info @lstokes, never own one 

@Meanie wrote:

Yes.

It says Active.

No SIM card installed

It hasn't been reported stolen, it's been mine for a long time, I just tried to change carriers after my contract with Virgin .was up.

Are you still unable to connect? If so, I wonder if the unlock was not completed; check out this https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201328.

You could also backup your phone. Then do a factory reset and reinstall.

If that also fails, and as No SIM Installed is the message you see with an unactivated SIM I think it would be worthwhile to contact the moderators and give them the SIM number to see what up. 

The definitive test for phone/service issues is always to try your SIM in difrerent phone and a different SIM in yours.

Good luck.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Fallsmolson wrote:

If you are trying to setup ur own sim it may not work as well as if u go into a store and have them do it but my phone also didnt reconize sim card took 3 hrs with someone from public mobile at the store to have it fixed .. may have to go in to a store and buy new 1.. or 2 ur phone may not be compatible with public mobile they do have a phone check when you are looking for a new carrier had to enter my phone imei number to make sure it would workScreenshot_20180713-200259_Chrome.jpg

This is under getting started

First off want to welcome  you to PM @Fallsmolson, and glad to see you helping out.  Just want to point out a few things so in the future you will be passing on the correct info.  THe first  portion of your post that I put in bold just letting you know that it wouldn't have been a Public Mobile employee at a store as PM does not have stores or employees working in stores.  Those people work for whatever retailer you were at.  Secondly and I wish PM would change the wording.  The IMEI number will not let you know if your phone is compatible with the network.  It lets you know if the phone has  been reported lost or stolen but sometime gives faulty results.  Some great sites that will let you know if a phone is compatible are willmyphonework.net and https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en.  Again welcome to PM and I hope this tips have helped!!  Keep helping out and maybe earn some community rewards for your efforts!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Meanie

Yes.

It says Active.

No SIM card installed

It hasn't been reported stolen, it's been mine for a long time, I just tried to change carriers after my contract with Virgin was up.

Fallsmolson

If you are trying to setup ur own sim it may not work as well as if u go into a store and have them do it but my phone also didnt reconize sim card took 3 hrs with someone from public mobile at the store to have it fixed .. may have to go in to a store and buy new 1.. or 2 ur phone may not be compatible with public mobile they do have a phone check when you are looking for a new carrier had to enter my phone imei number to make sure it would workScreenshot_20180713-200259_Chrome.jpg

This is under getting started

@Meanie 

a) Have you activated an account?

b) Login to your self serve account and confirm the Status is "Active".

c) What message appears on your phone after you reboot with the SIM installed?

d) Check here to see if your phone has been reported stolen: https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Meanie

They told me the phone isn't locked. They didn't mention any type of code. 

lstokes
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Wonder_why iPhones dont use unlock codes. It's all handled on the carriers end.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Meanie wrote:

No, there's unfortunately no other phone I have handy I can try.

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the slot, it isn't damaged in any way and the phone worked fine until my contract expired with Virfgin and I decided to try this instead. 

Not that I'm by any means a phone expert. 

@Meanie you said you have contract with Virgin before, mean the phone is locked, have you got unlocked code from Virgin yet ?

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Have you tried the following?

1. Update your iPhone to the latest version of iOS.
  2. Check for a carrier settings update. Go to Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see a prompt to select OK or Update.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/ht201420

Did you get this phone unlocked before leaving Virgin or how do you know it is unlocked?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Meanie

No, there's unfortunately no other phone I have handy I can try.

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the slot, it isn't damaged in any way and the phone worked fine until my contract expired with Virfgin and I decided to try this instead. 

Not that I'm by any means a phone expert. 

lstokes
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi there,

Do you still have your old Virgin SIM? If so, put it in the phone. While you won't get service, the phone will still recognize that a SIM has been insterted. It should just say no service instead of no SIM. Let us know the results.

Cheers,

Liam

Meanie

Positive.

I don't have another one to try, so no.

Thanks.

itiness

Hi, are you sure your phone is unlocked ? did you try another provider SIM card (other than Virgin and PM) just to make sure. good luck

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Meanie, generally speaking there are no refunds.  It seems to me that if the phone is not seeing the SIM card, it means that something is wrong with the SIM slot on the phone.  Even if the account is set up with an issue, the phone would still see the SIM card but not be able to establish a connection to the network.  Is there another phone that can be used to test the SIM card?

Need Help? Let's chat.