cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Not Supported

Ski_Run_Ty
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a iPhone 6s that had a Public Mobile SIM card but I have lost the SIM card so I bought a new one. When I put the new one in it says "SIM Not Supported". How can I unlock the phone from Public Mobile? My new Public Mobile SIM card is already activated

20 REPLIES 20

SgdFranklin

I got the same message, restarted my iPhone 6s and it worked as expected.

@Ski_Run_Ty That means it's your phone because your sim works in your old phone. Was your phone locked before?  Maybe, it got relocked. Contact Apple to check lock status.

Ski_Run_Ty

Um I can't seem to find the lost/stolen mode anywhere.

Well this iPhone hasn't ever had a SIM card in it before. I am using the same PM account, I tried putting the SIM card into the old phone and it worked perfectly. 

Ski_Run_Ty

So the SIM card works in my older phone. I did the full factory reset on my new phone but it still came up with the same error.

The one thing I did notice that was different is that the old phone says "Public Mobile 36.0.1" for carrier while the new one says "Public Mobile 41.0"

@Ski_Run_Ty are both "carrier* fields saying public or just one?

@Ski_Run_Ty wrote:

Alright so I'm back. I connected the phone to iTunes and updated the carrier settings.

It still comes back with "Public Mobile 41.0"

I am currently out of ideas on what to do.

Did you ever try your current sim card in a different device?  If it works in there, the only thing that I can suggest is a full factory restore. I know that seems drastic, but that just might do the trick. Make sure that you first back up anything up that you need to/wish to keep before starting this process.

Ski_Run_Ty

Alright so I'm back. I connected the phone to iTunes and updated the carrier settings.

It still comes back with "Public Mobile 41.0"

I am currently out of ideas on what to do.

@Ski_Run_Ty wrote:

I've looked there and under Carrier it says "Public Mobile 41.0"

I'm even more confused than all of you guys, this is my second SIM of all time, the last one was PM but I dropped that one and lost it. That is why I need to change it. My iPhone doesn't even let me pass the "SIM Not Supported" stage of setup so I'm having to keep putting it back in and out of it's slot

Did you try connecting your phone to a computer using an USB cable and running iTunes?

Ski_Run_Ty

You would be exactly right!!

But the thing is that it says in my settings that the phone's last carrier is "Public Mobile 41.0"

Ski_Run_Ty

I've looked there and under Carrier it says "Public Mobile 41.0"

I'm even more confused than all of you guys, this is my second SIM of all time, the last one was PM but I dropped that one and lost it. That is why I need to change it. My iPhone doesn't even let me pass the "SIM Not Supported" stage of setup so I'm having to keep putting it back in and out of it's slot

@Ski_Run_Ty public mobile never sold any iPhones to customers.. can you turn off your device and remove the pm sim. then turn your device back on and follow these instructions

• open settings>general>about
  • scroll down to the third section and under "carrier" it should tell you the provider the iPhone was previously with

call that provider and ask them to unlock the device

if this iPhone worked before and isn't working now. then go to your backup and try to see if you are able to rollback to a previous date you know worked

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe try your imei at devicecheck.ca.

Or even up top under Get Started. Scroll down a little and open the little arrow pointing to the right.

I don't believe that SIM Not supported is the message that would be displayed if an iPhone device has been reported as stolen or lost. I believe that it would more likely say Emergency Calls Only or No Service. 

In the world of Samsung, I've found that SIM Not Supported or a message similar to that has to with an incactive/deactivated sim card. In the iPhone world, I believe that it usually does indicate a phone locked to a different carrier. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe try your imei at devicecheck.ca.

Or even up top under Get Started. Scroll down a little and open the little arrow pointing to the right.

Ski_Run_Ty

Hi,

Thank you for all of that information, I did try all of it but the error "SIM Not Supported" keeps coming up. I have checked my phone carrier and it is Public Mobile. The moderators just seem dazed and confused.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Ski_Run_Ty wrote:

I have a iPhone 6s that had a Public Mobile SIM card but I have lost the SIM card so I bought a new one. When I put the new one in it says "SIM Not Supported". How can I unlock the phone from Public Mobile? My new Public Mobile SIM card is already activated

@Ski_Run_Ty  Did you go into your selfserve and swap sim card number by using the change sim card option?

cs.png

That error that you describe occurs when the iPhone is locked to another provider. There is a site that you can enter your IMEI :

https://lookup.unlockr.ca/brand/apple?imei-checker

If you still want to contact a PM submit a ticket to the Moderator Team, please start a conversation with the Public's virtual assistant, SIMon by clicking  here or the icon (bottom right of your screen).

s.JPG

If you are still having problems contacting Public Mobile then click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

Ski_Run_Ty

Even if the provider was PM? I can't seem to find their contact for me to do this other than their text bot. 

Ski_Run_Ty

There was not a different supplier in-between the two PM SIMs. The last SIM from PM was a prepaid one, not sure if that would cause any issues. 

@Ski_Run_Ty was there another providers SIM in between the 2 PM SIMS? Did you place a lock on the previous PM SIM? Thanks.  Stay safe. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Ski_Run_Ty wrote:

Hi @Ski_Run_Ty , 

It is possible the SIM is not seating correctly.

Try removing the SIM for few minutes, then reinserting, reboot.

Then if still the same see @gpixel post.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Ski_Run_Ty contact the previous provider of the phone to have it unlocked

Need Help? Let's chat.