cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Card Activation Error

ps1618
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I ordered and received a Public Mobile SIM Card today. After filling out the form to create a new account and to activate it, I keep receiving the following error on  www.activate.publicmobile.ca

Generic Error

Oh no! 
It looks like something went wrong, but don’t panic.

Log out and then log back in again to continue. Or return to the Login Page

I tried many times for more than 2 hours and the same error appears.

I also tried signing in, thinking that the account has been created and the new username and password that I chose in the activation form might work but unfortunately it does not sign in.

Please help, thanks

16 REPLIES 16

DJ-Canuck

I ran in to the same issue when I tried to register.  Nothing worked until I ran my browser in Incognito mode.  Worked first time.  Hopefully this helps.

Frustrated6671

I dont think saying that some people don't have an issue is a very helpful. I  now see if you make a small mistake that fails their data validation rather than catching in the user interface layer as most companies do,they catch it in the back, give a generic error message to the user so you have no idea which field failed and have to wait an hour for your card to be released and redo all of your data entry. This happens if, for example, there was any issue with your postal code or credit card. Simply doing proper data checking and giving messages at the time of entry could save people hours. This isn't a sweet non profit company that came afford to fix their web page, this is Telus. By saying people should just ignore it, like it is cute, means it will never be improved. People should do as little as possible in the fragile activation process and defer adding autopay etc until after so they don't have to keep waiting am hour to retry.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Frustrated6671 wrote:

I tried to activate my sim card, got a generic error on the credit card page. Was not able to enter a different number or check the number it said to start the entire process again all over. I started over and it said my SIM card is locked to the other session for at least 50 minutes. I am now hesitant to sign up for Public Mobile at all as all as their activation process is BRUTAL, I have already wasted an hour and there is no support anywhere I can find. Given how flaky it is it is hard to imagine they could ever sucesfully port my number over. 

Try another browser or incognito/privacy mode or clear cache. I've set up 3 accounts without any hitch. Even took some time on one of them selecting a number. Many people have many more accounts. Many, many more people are signing up without a problem. And those many people transfer numbers over also without a problem. I'll acknowledge that some do of course.

Yes...this is the support. While I agree about the DIY, there are many knowledgeable, experienced people here that can point you in the right direction. But yes...you have to do it. Or go to a store and they'd be happy to get you going. Many people activate in stores.

@Frustrated6671The SIM card gets unlocked from the activation server after an hour. Make sure you don't put in apartment number and your postal code has no space.

Public Mobile is DIY including diagnoising what's wrong, if you need more hand holding you can always upgrade to Koodo or Telus.

Frustrated6671

I tried to activate my sim card, got a generic error on the credit card page. Was not able to enter a different number or check the number it said to start the entire process again all over. I started over and it said my SIM card is locked to the other session for at least 50 minutes. I am now hesitant to sign up for Public Mobile at all as all as their activation process is BRUTAL, I have already wasted an hour and there is no support anywhere I can find. Given how flaky it is it is hard to imagine they could ever sucesfully port my number over. 

Ajk3

The payment has come out of my credit card
back on July 30 it's 6 of Aug. and the sim
card still reads invalid. Nothing works I
got a phone number for it can't do anything.
No way to make an account and redoing the
info dosn't work.

Ajk3

I have the same thind happing my card has been charged.

@ps1618 wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

I could finally fill the pages and I chose to transfer my previous phone number from Rogers, but when I got to the payment page and entered my credit card info, after a few minutes processing the request it again gave me the same error. The money is reduced from my credit card but I am unable to sign in with my user name and password "Sorry, your login attempt failed. Please try again"

I have no idea what is going on

Since you have been charged, I would make no furuther attempts to activate again.  The way that your credit card was charged likely means that your Public Mobile account was created.  The self-serve account should have been automatically created, but Public Mobile's system can act strangely some of the time.  If your Public Mobile service isn't working, the system might not have provisioned service to the sim card and also not created your self serve account.

@ps1618 wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

I could finally fill the pages and I chose to transfer my previous phone number from Rogers, but when I got to the payment page and entered my credit card info, after a few minutes processing the request it again gave me the same error. The money is reduced from my credit card but I am unable to sign in with my user name and password "Sorry, your login attempt failed. Please try again"

@ps1618  Try the sim card in your phone to see if it can connect to the PM network. If yes, it means your card has been activated.

ps1618

Thank you

@ps1618 

If your credit card was charged and you were trying to port your number, it might take a few hours for the port to be completed.  

@ps1618If money had been taken from your credit card.. contact the Moderators is pretty much the only course of action you can take.. be prepared to wait up to 48 hours for them to get back to you.

ps1618

Thanks I will try again and see

ps1618

Thanks for your reply.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@ps1618 wrote:

Hi,

I ordered and received a Public Mobile SIM Card today. After filling out the form to create a new account and to activate it, I keep receiving the following error on  www.activate.publicmobile.ca

Generic Error

Oh no! 
It looks like something went wrong, but don’t panic.

Log out and then log back in again to continue. Or return to the Login Page

I tried many times for more than 2 hours and the same error appears.

I also tried signing in, thinking that the account has been created and the new username and password that I chose in the activation form might work but unfortunately it does not sign in.

Please help, thanks

@ps1618  The Public Mobile is very slow today and  is experiencing issues with their activations as well as the selfserve website so best to try again in a couple of hours when it slows down.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@ps1618 

Was your credit card charged?  If it was charged, maybe try your SIM card in your phone.

If it was not charged, maybe tried again in another one hour.  Try a different web browser, clear cache or go incognito mode.  Chrome incognito works well with this website.  

Need Help? Let's chat.