cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Activation, New Number - Zenfone3 MAX

carlmal
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Trying to activate a sim card in an ASUS Zenfone3 X008DC (global/unlocked).

It keeps cycling between SIM available and SIM unavailable.

I set up the account for a new Manitoba number and we are located in Alberta if that matters. Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

carlmal

Sorry it has taken me so long to follow up on this.  We eventually ended up using a Google Pixel 1.  That worked fine.  We may go back to the Asus Zenfone again in the future with another SIM card.  If that works, I will update y'all.  Thanks so much for your support through all this.

@firmwarefile Zenfone 3 Max isn't Lenovo. It's Asus.

firmwarefile

The firmware file is a set of instructions programmed on a hardware device. So if you are facing any issues in your smartphone like the application stopped working, IMEI issues, and dead issues, you can download flash files to fix the issues. It is unique for every phone.

https://firmwareflashfiles.com/lenovo-a6000/

carlmal

Thanks for your continued support.  The phone will briefly connect allowing you to send out a short text, then go back to No Service.  I might've mentioned, we tried a Rogers card in the phone and it worked fine.  We also tried the Public Mobile SIM card in an iPhone8 and Pixel1, both phones had no problem with the SIM.

We noted the SIM appears to be rather scratched and maybe even swollen.  I will order another SIM and see if there's any difference.  That will be out last-ditch effort. 

Kindest regards, this is a great community.

@carlmal wrote:

Thank you, and yes, we tried both sim slots, restarting.  Issue persists. 

Well next order of business for troubleshooting is to:

• Try the PM SIM in another phone
  • Try a SIM from Telus Mobility or Koodo in your Zenfone
  • Try a SIM from another carrier entirely in your Zenfone...

carlmal

Thank you, and yes, we tried both sim slots, restarting.  Issue persists. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It looks like this variant will definitely work on the Public Mobile service.  It has the right 3G bands and a couple of the LTE bands (850 and 1900 Mhz on both 3G and LTE).  SIM unavailability suggests the phone is not able to detect the presence of the SIM card which is very different from band compatibility.  I would suggest troubleshooting why the phone is intermittently unable to detect the SIM card.  Reseating the SIM a few times is suggested.  Be careful when sliding the SIM tray in and out as any binding may cause the SIM card to shift and affect the contacts.  

https://www.mobosdata.com/phone/asus-zenfone-3-max-x008dc

They have the global version not North American version.

Your phone  X008DC  is ZC520TL.. it should work on PM.  

softech_0-1608938709691.png

did you try to put the SIM and put it back?  it sound like SIM issue.. might be just loose contact?

@Quigley wrote:

I don't think that phone is compatible with the PM network.

All variants listed by the Asus website are compatible. There is one version that is missing UMTS band 2, so that variant is most definitely not recommended. Some versions also have less compatible LTE bands than others.

The Zenfone3 Max is officially offered in Canada by Asus, with the ZC520TL "US" version being ideal.  ZenFone 3 Max (ZC520TL) | Phones | ASUS Canada

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

It does not matter that you are in Alberta and getting a Manitoba number.  The only drawback which I know is that you are paying more sale tax in Manitoba sale tax instead of Alberta GST 5% only

My children are using a Alberta number in Vancouver and Ottawa without any issues.

1.  Did you restart your phone after activation?

2.  To determine your issue is due to PM problem or your phone issue.  Test your PM SIM card in another phone from family or friend.

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

I don't think that phone is compatible with the PM network. That phone has all the wrong band frequencies.

@carlmal wrote:

Trying to activate a sim card in an ASUS Zenfone3 X008DC (global/unlocked).

It keeps cycling between SIM available and SIM unavailable.

I set up the account for a new Manitoba number and we are located in Alberta if that matters. Thanks.

This sounds to me an issue with the SIM card not making good contact.  I would try re-inserting the SIM after cleaning it with some rubbing alcohol.

Need Help? Let's chat.