cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SECURITY BREACH?

Mrbox
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Okay so I am very concerned. While getting help for my own SIM-Jacking, I am seeing many other people having the same issue. What is going on!!! My wife is also a part of Public Mobile and now we are concerned and thinking of changing providers. 

We don't want to do this but it is very concerning to see so many people getting SIM-Jacked! 

Anyone know whats going on?!? 

42 REPLIES 42

Here's one today that just happened. 

What not to do!

username is his full name 

Provides two full numbers 

A quick google on first number. Had his full address and his info about what he does. An avocat (lawyer) no less lol.

All in 2 seconds. A scammer would have a blast with that one.

Screenshot_20210107_133432.jpg

@saliturid wrote:

Sorry to say mine was hacked around supper and thanks to these posts I've suspended my account and changed all passwords.  I'm frustrated that getting a new sim takes so long.

@saliturid 

Did you contact moderator?  Sometimes, moderator can restore your old SIM card number.  Will be faster than ordering online for new SIM card.

To contact moderator via 2 methods:

New Ticketing system - faster

Click on the question mark on the right lower corner of website to start ticketing process to contact moderator.  Type: SIM card swap. Follow the prompts to submit ticket.  

Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

If you prefer to get a new SIM card, if you live near a store vendor, you can purchase.  Ie. Walmart, London drugs, Mobile shop (inside superstore), WOW mobile, some authorized Koodo dealers.  

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/store-locator

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@saliturid wrote:

Sorry to say mine was hacked around supper and thanks to these posts I've suspended my account and changed all passwords.  I'm frustrated that getting a new sim takes so long.

If only we supported Esim

saliturid
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I think the fraudster/s are familiar with PM's glitches and if they were to change the password, there's a good chance they'll lock themselves out lol. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@mimmo  Nice to hear from you. Again I do apologize for tagging you I did not mean anything by it. Was just trying to get the point across for other readers. Maybe they would think. "Oh darn I better check my own stuff if it could even happen to Oracle's". Sorry my brain works weird lol.

It was likely a private message (can't see Oracle Stuff) had your full name, email, alternate number. Anyways that is besides the point of what it had or did not have. Was just giving the example that with that little bit of info it opened up all other things rather quickly with little effort.  Yes lots of settings in FB everyone should play around with.

Have a good evening! 

@Jb456 wrote:

@will13am  You're absolutely right. Didn't think of that. Thanks!

Maybe a code generated by the system. Similar to the referral code how there completely random.  I don't really know but it would be a good discussion topic (if PM was interested in reading) where everyone could give ideas on how to make it more secure.

Have a good evening and thanks for the chat!

This is a topic of great interest and importance to all of us.  Open exchange is a great way to flush out potential solutions.  I thank everyone for contributing.  

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jb456  @Anonymous   i did suggest yesterday to PM in oracle section exatly this to disable the feature for customers since it is not a often used feature as they did for changing tel numbers which according to PM reduced the number of fraudulent ports.

@Jb456   i believe the pictures i had showing  (which have all been deleted)  were posted either as private messages or in the oracle section.  so it was an wrong assumption on my part that they would be restricted because of how/where they were posted.  

as for my facebook i will have to double check preferences I though it was limited to friends only.  mind you not sure when the last time i posted there was.  

@will13am  You're absolutely right. Didn't think of that. Thanks!

Maybe a code generated by the system. Similar to the referral code how there completely random.  I don't really know but it would be a good discussion topic (if PM was interested in reading) where everyone could give ideas on how to make it more secure.

Have a good evening and thanks for the chat!

@Jb456 wrote:

@will13am   

Screenshot_20210106_213944.jpg

  

Do you think if PM replaced our email to our  account number # for login would help?

I see benefit with using something other than email for the login.  I would not use account number.  Account number is used in the porting process and so it needs to be kept under lock and key.  

@will13am   

Screenshot_20210106_213944.jpg

  

Do you think if PM replaced our email to our  account number # for login would help?

@will13am 

Screenshot_20210106_212846.jpg

Ya the "White Van Special" 😂 . Actually they were really decent home theatres that apparently fell off the back of a Best Buy delivery truck lol. They started at $200 could have easily got them for $125 maybe a hundred. Didn't need em tho. I like my Sonos Arc surround set.

@Mrbox I've been tracking the sim swaps and majority of them are from the march/February security breach. if you were a customer before that time your data was most likely leaked. 

it doesn't matter what telecom you decide to change too, they've all had data breaches...

try following these tips for better security

create an email strictly for public mobile
change your name and address on your self serve account
don't use your personal email password for the pm website
don't use a password manager(chrome, safari, etc. browsers
don't use your cellphone number as a 2fa for banks, PayPal etc.

• if you want even more security, remove your personal cards off of the pm website and register a Visa gift card for your auto-pay discount. purchase vouchers or instant top ups to pay for your plan

@Jb456 wrote:

@will13am  that would be great. Email login is decade ago lol.

Once unleashed, it is not possible to put that genie back in the bottle.  My first ever encounter with logins was in computer science class.  The internet was not even a thought then, neither was email.  The username was as secure as the password.  Both were alpha numeric sequences and neither served some additional purpose to increase exposure.  

@Anonymous  "dox" is typically with malicious intent.  Completely the opposite of what my intent was.

Then again should I be completely to blame for simply posting or should the person that was careless having personal info screenshots in their public photos or should PM be blamed for not protecting all of us and ensuring private message photos sent went to hidden folder and not public ( it's fixed now finally). Lol 

@will13am  that would be great. Email login is decade ago lol.

@Luddite wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@popping  or anyone else apart from using a password manager do you have any tips for creating unique passwords for every site that requires a password.?  I must have over 100 sites that require passwords and it's impossible to remember a unique password for each.

Password manager: https://www.lastpass.com/ ; I use it in standalone mode

"Secure" passwords; lastpass will create them but prefer inventing my own and evaluate them here: https://www.bennish.net/password-strength-checker/ 

If sites did not make logins convenient by using email as the username, then a login would be way more secure.  The banks use account/card numbers for username.  Why can't all sites do that?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jb456 : Hey ...I agree with your warnings. I don't agree with doxing.

I suppose it could be quick and dirty to just remove the feature like they do with changing username where of course it would be preferable if that changed the internal account username. But this place should also be more online, hands-on that it even is now. Customers should be able to do early renewals. Port their numbers in after activation like they used to. Remove referrals. Change referrals.

@Jb456 wrote:

@Mrbox  I'm in Quebec maybe it was my order 😁.  Lol.

It's likely still untraceable. Likely the person that did the scamming pays someone alittle bit to have that someone find another person to have the other person find someone to talk to someone else that is just a person they sell drugs to at the bottom of chain to accept the package and hand it off. 

There's alot more behind the scenes than just an address. Last winter before covid came about. You could get anything from Rona or Reno Depot (which is like a Lowe's or Home Depot) at more than 50% off. Need a 2 car winter garage for your driveway? Sure no problem $100 bucks. Why? How? All due to these types of scams online.

Actually come to think of it. I was at the mall before Xmas before lockdown and there was two guys in a van trying to sell Harmon Kardon home theaters that retail for over $500 for under $200 quick cash parking lot transaction. 

It's a big business that will not stop unless the general public take the first step in protecting themselves.

Just look at how many threads are started on just these forums about scam Canada Agency calls, robotic calls you name it. Just like all the telemarketers that have jobs in Canada selling products to people in the USA. I'm sure a great telemarketer could sell and apple painted in fake gold paint for 5k. There's always some somewhere that will fall for it.

Are the Harmon Kardons "white van" stereo equipment?  😛

@Anonymous  ya maybe I should have but to get the point across you know. I've probably sent reminders to 10 people on these forums including one member of the PM staff. 

People got to be careful. The internet is not just funny tiktok videos and messenger. 

I cringe everytime I go read some of the lounge posts and what personal info people share. Of course the people writing and posting ain't bad but you have to remember these are public forums.

Just looking right now. I know people hide their online status on PM (I do also). But look 9 members and over 700 others (Guests) online.

Screenshot_20210106_205653.jpg

I'm confident to say some of those guests are likely scammers just lurking and scooping threads for their next victim. Waiting for a newbie to post their personal info (which is very common on here) or checking the usernames for those that use their phone number or real full name to pounce on their next simjack victim. 

It's really a given.

Speaking of SimJack and what you mentioned. Since it's not often people require to change their sim. Lost phone here and there, phone got wet and sim card is damaged etc. That PM should just remove the feature all together from the accounts. The customer should have to open a ticket and provide all the necessary information to get the sim card number changed to the new sim. Problem solved!

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Mrbox  I'm in Quebec maybe it was my order 😁.  Lol.

It's likely still untraceable. Likely the person that did the scamming pays someone alittle bit to have that someone find another person to have the other person find someone to talk to someone else that is just a person they sell drugs to at the bottom of chain to accept the package and hand it off. 

There's alot more behind the scenes than just an address. Last winter before covid came about. You could get anything from Rona or Reno Depot (which is like a Lowe's or Home Depot) at more than 50% off. Need a 2 car winter garage for your driveway? Sure no problem $100 bucks. Why? How? All due to these types of scams online.

Actually come to think of it. I was at the mall before Xmas before lockdown and there was two guys in a van trying to sell Harmon Kardon home theaters that retail for over $500 for under $200 quick cash parking lot transaction. 

It's a big business that will not stop unless the general public take the first step in protecting themselves.

Just look at how many threads are started on just these forums about scam Canada Agency calls, robotic calls you name it. Just like all the telemarketers that have jobs in Canada selling products to people in the USA. I'm sure a great telemarketer could sell and apple painted in fake gold paint for 5k. There's always some somewhere that will fall for it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo wrote:

Ensure you have a unique password and change your account name (add a spending error)

@mimmo : Oh the irony 🙂

@Jb456 : DUDE! Don't be openly doxin' people! Post openly saying you've sent someone a pm and explain all their security lapses there. Not openly. Crap.

I think in recent history it was @gpixel who suggested that carriers ought to have yet another final confirmation for a Change SIM request. Like they do now for porting. And not negative option like they used to have for porting. It must be an active confirmation. Otherwise the request fails without change.

Mrbox
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Oh I have an exact address already because they are not very smart scammers and purchased a product to have shipped to them in Quebec 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@will13am  sorry no criminal mindset here. I actually work in the online gambling industry handling millions of dollars a day. We use the same tactics that these scammers use to catch fraudsters trying to say who they are when they are not. Wouldn't want to send a wire transfer of 100k to the wrong person lol. So very well versed in this type of scenario.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

And just an FYI to all on these actual forums. I want to apologize first off by tagging this user @mimmo . Mimmo or shall I say Dom. Please don't take offense I mean nothing by it. When I informed you months ago via private message that you had personal information showing if you recall. You really need to lock down your stuff. In two minutes I had your personal Facebook account, wife's as well as much more personal information. You really need to secure your social media accounts and set it to private. So only people on your list can see your photos and everything else. Just saying!

Also don't remember if it was you or another Oracle. But whoever Oracle you are that posted a parking ticket with your physical address on Facebook. You probably should lock down your stuff to. 

Everyone that is not cautious about their digital footprint probably should take some time off of these forums and use Google to see what to do to protect yourself!

Now ain't that a mind F...🤣

@Jb456 wrote:

@will13am  the scammers are not concerned about your PM account that is why they don't change the password.

They are professionals. All they want is quick money not spend time changing passwords for a PM account.

They are smart as well. Most do it at the were hours of the night when chances are the culprit ain't online, ain't using their phone and are sleeping.

Change the sim and first go after the easy given untraceable money maker accounts. PayPal n Bitcoin. Boom under a minute those balances are gone. Then move onto the next. Banking info / credit cards. 

Some are average and just go after the easy Paypal. Other more seasoned vets that have all their things in place do the PayPal/ Bitcoin then move on to charging things on a credit card and either getting stuff shipped to a untraceable Po box or for things they can sell online quick and easy. Like Netflix accounts. 

It really is a billion dollar industry and these people are pros. In and out of the account in under 10 minutes. It would take people longer on these forums to figure out what is going on with there phone service before even figuring out they have been sim jacked.

I know that thieves want to do quick hit and runs.  Changing password is like wiping a few fingerprints before leaving the crime scene.  Maybe I am coming up with these useless theories because I don't have criminal mind.   

@mimmo wrote:

@popping  or anyone else apart from using a password manager do you have any tips for creating unique passwords for every site that requires a password.?  I must have over 100 sites that require passwords and it's impossible to remember a unique password for each.

Password manager: https://www.lastpass.com/ ; I use it in standalone mode

"Secure" passwords; lastpass will create them but prefer inventing my own and evaluate them here: https://www.bennish.net/password-strength-checker/ 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

For free personal password manager is lastpass.  You can sync your password across OS platforms and browsers.  

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/lastpass

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@will13am  the scammers are not concerned about your PM account that is why they don't change the password.

They are professionals. All they want is quick money not spend time changing passwords for a PM account.

They are smart as well. Most do it at the were hours of the night when chances are the culprit ain't online, ain't using their phone and are sleeping.

Change the sim and first go after the easy given untraceable money maker accounts. PayPal n Bitcoin. Boom under a minute those balances are gone. Then move onto the next. Banking info / credit cards. 

Some are average and just go after the easy Paypal. Other more seasoned vets that have all their things in place do the PayPal/ Bitcoin then move on to charging things on a credit card and either getting stuff shipped to a untraceable Po box or for things they can sell online quick and easy. Like Netflix accounts. 

It really is a billion dollar industry and these people are pros. In and out of the account in under 10 minutes. It would take people longer on these forums to figure out what is going on with there phone service before even figuring out they have been sim jacked.

@Mrbox wrote:

Yea that's what I am worried about. Like I caught it before any really bad happened but they did manage to get into my PayPal and order from Ebay. I am out $12 but could have been worse. They tired authorizing transactions for a total around $900. Like not cool. I am worried it is only a matter of time and my wife's phone will be hi-jacked. 

When I first lost service my wife tried to call me and someone picked up and hung up and now that is on my usage summary on my account and it says they picked up in Quebec. The eBay order is also supposed to be shipped to Quebec. I am wondering if it is all the same person getting our SIMs

@Mrbox , I highly recommend that you report this to the moderator team and have them trace that call.  The system should have information on exact location in Quebec and the IMEI of the device that picked up the call.  If this is the clean IMEI (not modified/spoofed), there is a trail leading right to the perpetrator's front door.  These guys could be using burner phones which lead to nowhere.  

Need Help? Let's chat.