cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Charges

Cristinal
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Moderator_Team I got my sim card and number while being in Saskatchewan. I just moved to BC. Can I still use my phone (data, calling and texting) while in BC without getting roaming/extra charges? And would I be able to change my phone number to have a BC number?

7 REPLIES 7

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Blackbox wrote:

So if I understood this right...

If I get a Public Mobile, Canada free long distance + internet package ,
1) I can make phone calls,
2) and I can use internet

From any location in Canada where there is available cell service on your map?

In other words, there is no roaming charges.

Yes, if you get a Canada-wide calling plan (which most of the bargain 3G-speed plans are now), you can call from anywhere in Canada, to anywhere in Canada, without extra fees (no zones like Chat-R, for example). Yes, it's a bargain. 🙂

You can't use the plan in the US (there's an add-on for that) and you can't use it to call to a number that's outside of Canada (there are add-ons for that too). 

And bottom line, if you haven't already paid for something, you can't do it, whether by accident or design (one of the best aspects of prepaid service, IMHO).

Which plan are you considering? Remember to sign up with autopay to get another $2/mo off. You can still pay manually (with vouchers purchased at SDM, say) and you get the $2/mo discount as long as the card is on file, even if they don't use it.

=aw

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@wtengi wrote:

2. Talk (voice), there only is long distance if you are outside your region for example 604 for Vancouver area, but if you get long distance package then as long as you are in Canada and Public Mobile network there is no long distance.

3. Roaming mean when you are using another carrier for your PM service. ie. using Verizon signal. So as long as your network indicate Public Mobile, you will not be charge for roaming.

I don't think #2 is right, PM only offers province-wide calling and Canada-wide calling, so "outside your region" would be outside your province. I've never had a use for province-wide calling so I've always had Canada-wide.

For #3, Verizon is a bad example, but in any case as a prepaid service you won't be charged for anything you didn't already pay for. So there's no chance of being right by the border and picking up a TMobile or AT&T signal and being billed for roaming in US (which can happen with postpaid plans on the other carriers).

=aw

wtengi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

1. Data (internet) has no long distance

2. Talk (voice), there only is long distance if you are outside your region for example 604 for Vancouver area, but if you get long distance package then as long as you are in Canada and Public Mobile network there is no long distance.

3. Roaming mean when you are using another carrier for your PM service. ie. using Verizon signal. So as long as your network indicate Public Mobile, you will not be charge for roaming.

Blackbox
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So if I understood this right...

If I get a Public Mobile, Canada free long distance + internet package ,
1) I can make phone calls,
2) and I can use internet

From any location in Canada where there is available cell service on your map?

In other words, there is no roaming charges.

@stonechucker wrote:

For Province-wide calling, Outgoing calls are based on the province you are in, so locally no issue to make calls.  Locals will call you at LD rates if you do not change your number to a BC number.  

All calls will come to your phone, regardless of location made.

As mentioned, number change is a free service, in self-serve portal.  Upcoming renewals will be taxed at the rate for the province the phone number is based.

@Cristinal, just to add what @stonechucker mentioned here.  When in BC or any other province outside of what your phone numbers "home Province" is you will need to put a 1 in front of the numbers you are dialing.  As stated you won't be charged long distance if you are calling  a number in the Province you are currently in.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

For Province-wide calling, Outgoing calls are based on the province you are in, so locally no issue to make calls.  Locals will call you at LD rates if you do not change your number to a BC number.  

All calls will come to your phone, regardless of location made.

As mentioned, number change is a free service, in self-serve portal.  Upcoming renewals will be taxed at the rate for the province the phone number is based.

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You can change your number to a BC number by logging in to self-serve, and clicking on "change my number".  There is no charge for this.  You may need to update your address on your profile first to your new BC address.

Since Public Mobile is prepaid, there are no roaming charges and no added charges to your bill.  Basically, if you haven't paid a feature, you simply won't be allowed to use it.

Your data will work Canada-wide, regardless of what type of plan you have.  As for calling, it depends on whether you signed up for province-wide or Canada-wide calling.

Need Help? Let's chat.