cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reusing a previously used SIM on a new account

kaiser_soze
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi

I'm trying to refer a friend to Public Mobile but on registration I gave him an old prior activated SIM card from PM that is not being used anymore (last used within the 90 days). When he enters that, he gets an error "invalid sim".

Is there a way to use this pre-used SIM on registration?

5 REPLIES 5

Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing myself, i.e. why can't a previously used SIM be used again, either by the original buyer of the SIM, or anyone else they may decide to sell or give it to? I'm thinking the sheer & utter chaos that a previously used SIM number being re-injected into the system MIGHT cause the PM system to have a serious meltdown, and explosion(think, nuclear power plant with no water in the cooling tank 😉 ).... or maybe something slightly less dire?

@kaiser_soze

Unactivated SIM cards which have never been used are good indefinitely. They don't have any sort of expiry date (at least not until they eventually become completely obsoleted by a new form factor). 

Activated SIM cards are permanently deactivated (deadlisted) once their linked subscriber account is terminated. They cannot ever again be reactivated. 

But if this SIM card was used within the last 90 days - and the linked account still exists (it's been Suspended but not Terminated) then the SIM and account and phone number are all still useable. Although you'd have to prepay a Plan, of course, though Public Mobile doesn't charge you for the Suspended service period nor for any sorts of deactivation/reactivation fees.

As to transferring it to someone else... technically it's a violation of the Telus Terms of Service (and CCTS/CRTC Wireless Code) you "agreed" to when signing up... although I know many people have done it and PM seemingly doesn't bother to enforce the policy or punish offenders unless they're specifically directed to attend to it.

But an "Invalid SIM" message often indicates a different issue: the phone you (or your friend) tried could be carrier-locked.

If this is the case then it will only work with SIM cards issued by the one carrier, until it's unlocked. 

kaiser_soze
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks I found the hits that mentioned the same after. It seems some carriers allow it but not PM.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Previously activated SIMs cannot be reused.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@kaiser_soze wrote:

Hi

I'm trying to refer a friend to Public Mobile but on registration I gave him an old prior activated SIM card from PM that is not being used anymore (last used within the 90 days). When he enters that, he gets an error "invalid sim".

Is there a way to use this pre-used SIM on registration?

Sim cards cannot be reused and attached to a new account. The only thing that you could do would be to reactivate the old account since it's been less than 90 days.

Need Help? Let's chat.