cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieving text messages from lost phone in flight mode

pschnurr
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I lost my cell phone while camping (phone was in flight mode) and have to get a new sim card to put in a new phone.  Can I retrieve text messages sent to my old sim card while it was in flight mode when I get my new sim card?  If so, how?

Also, can I get a sim card from Walmart rather than getting it mailed to me?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

I would consider messages that have already been delivered to be gone. But any messages that haven't been yet delivered should be delivered to your new phone once you switch over to a new sim card.  However, this will only happen if your lost phone never previously reconnect to the cellular network before you got the chance to report it as lost (if you did that).

Getting a sim card from Walmart can be tricky because some locations/salespeople are refusing to sell them unless you are activating as a new customer.  You can certainly try.

Shaheer

@pschnurr wrote:

I wouldn't recommend getting a SIM from Wal-Mart as they have to activate the SIM upon purchase during checkout (since they get a commission for doing so) which might be something you don't want to do. 

I'd suggest going to WOW! mobile boutique stores or London Drugs if you're in Western Canada. 

If you don't care that Wal-Mart activates the SIM card for you during checkout than just grab it from there.

Good luck with your situation!

closng
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
@pschnurr wrote:

Hi,

I lost my cell phone while camping (phone was in flight mode) and have to get a new sim card to put in a new phone.  Can I retrieve text messages sent to my old sim card while it was in flight mode when I get my new sim card?  If so, how?

Thanks

Hi @pschnurr,

Assuming your lost phone was not found by someone and subsequently turned off flight mode, in theory, your messages were not delivered and should be delivered to your new phone/SIM automatically once you connect back to the network with the new SIM card but someone can correct me if this is not how it works?

Your old phone will not be reachable unless someone finds it, and turns off Airplane mode.  If your device is locked (need fingerprint or passcode) this is less likely to happen.

I don't think you'll be able to retrieve that information unless you've synced it with iCloud (if possible).  I'm not an iPhone user.

Star

You can definitely go to any Walmart and purchase a sim card there.

Need Help? Let's chat.