cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Researching a new carrier

ddv
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've been with Bell for something close to 30 years. I've had enough of their hidden fees and deceptive practices.

So, looking at the various options. I am primarily interested in unlimited talk, within my province, texting and possibly sending pictures. I use a mil-spec flip, so data use is negligable. I'm looking at this $25 plan:

• 500 MB Data⁴ at 3G speed
  • + BONUS 500 MB with AutoPay
  • UNLIMITED Talk Canada-wide
  • UNLIMITED International Text and Picture Messaging
  • VOICEMAIL & Call Display

The first thing I noticed is the footnote "4" beside "500 MB Data". I can't find the fine print it refers to (same with several of their other advertised plans) Where's the fine print at?

Are there any hidden charges? EG: fee for actually listening to one's voicemail or sending a picture?

I see a whole lot of messages here about problems with accounts suddenly going dark after a recent server upgrade. Does this kind of thing happen very often with PM?

I see a number of comments that allude to problems with activation at Walmart stores. What precisely is the problem with activating the phone via Walmart? On the face of it, it seems like a way to get a $10 sim card for free, but I'm pretty sure Walmart doesn't do anything for free! What are they getting and what am I giving up?

I have a similar phone for my wife's use. Can I refer the second phone from the first account to save a buck?

Any other comments or advice?

7 REPLIES 7

@ddv wrote:

I see a number of comments that allude to problems with activation at Walmart stores. What precisely is the problem with activating the phone via Walmart? On the face of it, it seems like a way to get a $10 sim card for free, but I'm pretty sure Walmart doesn't do anything for free! What are they getting and what am I giving up?

I have a similar phone for my wife's use. Can I refer the second phone from the first account to save a buck?

Most of the complaints about Walmart have to do with them refusing to sell the sim card unless you activate it there.  As there is currently no specific online-only new customer promotion, I would say that the only disadvantage to activating there would be needing to wait there while they do it.

The first account would save the $1 each 30 days.  The second account would receive a $10 one-time credit.  Any existing Public Mobile customer can refer the first account that you activate.

@ddv wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

I highly recommend everyone to top off (by manually adding funds) in advance as this process will prevent the most common and preventable reason that your account goes into suspension with a HUGE pain in the butt complete loss of service.

Thanks all for the quick replies.

Just to clarify: when manually adding funds, are those used first (before the autopay attempts to charge the card) or carried over if the autopay goes through properly?

Yes, any amount in your account balance will be used first.

@ddv wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

I highly recommend everyone to top off (by manually adding funds) in advance as this process will prevent the most common and preventable reason that your account goes into suspension with a HUGE pain in the butt complete loss of service.

Just to clarify: when manually adding funds, are those used first (before the autopay attempts to charge the card) or carried over if the autopay goes through properly?

They will be used first.

ddv
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@RobertQc wrote:

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi, my wife has this same $25 Plan, it has been good. Unlimited Canada Talk/ Unlimited Text SMS and MMS (picture text) / 500mb Data + 500mb with auto pay to a credit card. 

JaimeLaPizza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The "4" footnote can can found by clicking on "Offer details".  It says: 

4 - Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 900 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-250 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/WirelessVideoExperience_Optimization.pdf. Compatible device required. Data usage is rounded up each session to the nearest 10KB. Data service on BlackBerry smartphones requires the BlackBerry 10 operating system.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@ddv wrote:

I've been with Bell for something close to 30 years. I've had enough of their hidden fees and deceptive practices.

So, looking at the various options. I am primarily interested in unlimited talk, within my province, texting and possibly sending pictures. I use a mil-spec flip, so data use is negligable. I'm looking at this $25 plan:

• 500 MB Data⁴ at 3G speed
  • + BONUS 500 MB with AutoPay
  • UNLIMITED Talk Canada-wide
  • UNLIMITED International Text and Picture Messaging
  • VOICEMAIL & Call Display

The first thing I noticed is the footnote "4" beside "500 MB Data". I can't find the fine print it refers to (same with several of their other advertised plans) Where's the fine print at?

Are there any hidden charges? EG: fee for actually listening to one's voicemail or sending a picture?

I see a whole lot of messages here about problems with accounts suddenly going dark after a recent server upgrade. Does this kind of thing happen very often with PM?

Any other comments or advice?

@ddv  There are no hidden charges, there are lots of glitches and bugs at public mobile.

You would be choosing an in store offer, instead of an online offer. There are various promotions some are better online, some are better in store. Depends what is happening at that time.

Yes you can refer your wife with your own number and if you need a referral for yourself there are many people that would happily be your friend to give you their number

Any comment / advice I would have is to always have a back up way to contact people (example, FONGO) and a fair warning. Unfortunately, sometimes auto pay fails. Think of auto pay as a method for public mobile to charge you IF your account does not have sufficient balance. If you have sufficient balance it does not need to autopay, but auto pay is still configured so you get the reward. I highly recommend everyone to top off (by manually adding funds) in advance as this process will prevent the most common and preventable reason that your account goes into suspension with a HUGE pain in the butt complete loss of service.

Need Help? Let's chat.