cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remember the Fear Factor when Recruiting and Helping Older Customers

davidjmurdoch
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Not being as comfortable with using technology as younger consumers but still wanting to benefit and have access to a smartphone service, older consumers like myself often are scared of changing providers because of the things we don't know.

It involves knowing, for example, what a SIM card is and its size and how many digits are in a phone number; information obvious to millennials but not necessarily to boomers.

I remember when SIM cards were larger and so when I saw the service opportunity Public Mobile offered I was not sure how the SIM card would be sized to fit my phone which took a nano size. When I asked Simon  "how do you know what size SIM to send me" my question  was not understood. I did not know about popout cards. Now I do! (By the way, I needed a magnifying glass to read the 19-digit number on the SIM card)

As for the phone number, when there were less phones - back in the old days - the area code was not required to make a local call. Phone numbers were only seven digits. I realise now that today the area code it a part of the number and when you switch providers and bring your old number it's ten digits long and includes the area code which doesn't change.

What is obvious to some is not to others.

I wonder what other obstacles older consumers like me have faced when they think of changing to a provider with a better deal,  especially one that relies heavily on online customer service?

9 REPLIES 9

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

In my case being a boomer I didn't know what a sim card was when I started. My cell phone was so old it didn't have one.  Sms, mms, what the H was that, lol. Yes I was hesitant to move on but good old Bell gave me the final push with yet another cell increase. I asked my son in law to find me cell providers and he came up with Public. There have been a few minor hickups which were fixed quickly. The difference in price from Bell to Public (with more features) from Feb of last year to now, has paid for my new cell phone. Hey who knew a cell phone could be blueteethed to my car, lol.  One last thing, it's a great commuity here on PM

Cheers

CellGirl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Luddite 

Smart thinking. Personally I'd never get my in-laws to switch to PM.. I'd be pestered frequently 😉

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

I can certainly relate to your post. While I'm not a baby boomer I am at the top end of a generation x-er and had steadfastly refused to join the internet age.( and yes I still have a flip phone but having inherited a smartphone I have begrudgingly been forced to embrace it.) And I think anyone who has read my posts I am still sorely lacking in computer skills.  For the technologically challenged set of people public mobile can be very intimidating but when you look at the savings eventually you will want to jump into the pool. I imagine you have friends and family that can help you ease in. P.M. is a great way to hang out with the grandkids as they help you navigate the online universe. If you have a problem that can't be solved by the pm community don't fret that you can't pick up the phone to talk to a customer service agent. (More and more traditional telecom companies steer you to their websites to correct issues or have implemented service charges to use call agents like fido.) I've been old school for a long time but switched last month to save $$$$ and immersed myself in the community in order to learn how to manage and self service my account. So far the only problem I've encountered was caused by the salesman at London drugs. Ironic since I went there for activation because I was scared to do it myself online. However it really wasn't that hard to contact a moderator and explain the problem through a couple of messages and it was resolved in 36 hours. Quick according to most users here and maybe not quick enough if you are experiencing a no service problem. When you decide the water is the right temperature recruit someone you know willing to help troubleshoot with you and you will be able swim in the online telephone pool. Just hang out in the community, read up on how to navigate pm to avoid rookie mistakes and have a SIM card handy if you don't have a local retailer to take advantage of the next great flash sale. I'm sure someone you know will have a referral code for you as well. Trust me the water is fine!

@LudditeYes Koodo now claw back, but I still think it is an excellent deal regardless with gift certificates $200 - $300 you are negating ~$20/month from your bill. The end of the 2 years you still have a pretty new phone.

@GinYVR Koodo will, apparently now, claw back any phone discount if you leave before 2 years! Robot Sad 

Otherwise totally agree, especially using themobileshop at loblaw for the points.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

I think it really depends on the person who are in need. Since phones eventually dies, it comes down whether the person wants a phone to go with switching.

I believe Koodo Postpaid with free on tab phones + gift certificates from retailers are better deals for people who need a reliable good phone and a bit hand holding.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@davidjmurdoch Over the last 4 years I have assisted several technology wary friends migrate to PM. Sadly, I have concluded that someone not already comfortable using computers and the internet should not join PM, UNLESS someone is ready to step in quickly when they have a problem. 

Even though PM is now available at retail locations, it has actually become more stressful for such customers when they have a service outage. They are faced not only with unfamiliar online procedures, but also very long response times.

I now have qualifying test for such candidates -- ask them, unassisted by me, to get a free account activated on fongo.com and call me from the fongo account when they have done so.  At least they then have a backup if there is ever a problem. See https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/BE-PREPARED/m-p/112014#M20827  Robot LOL

For 4 years PM has been excellent, both in service and price, for my friends and I. I cannot see any of us leaving but we now recommend PM only to people with reasonable internet skills.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

"As for the phone number, when there were less phones - back in the old days - the area code was not required to make a local call. Phone numbers were only seven digits. I realise now that today the area code it a part of the number and when you switch providers and bring your old number it's ten digits long and includes the area code which doesn't change."

In Newfoundland, you can still do 7 digit dialing. God's Country!

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@davidjmurdochPublic Mobile SIM card has been precut into 3 card sizes. One thing that is missing currently is eSIM but apparently Telus will implement it soon. The SIM card digits are also printed in larger digits on main card in the lower left hand corner.

Need Help? Let's chat.