cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registration with Scotiabank Visa Momentum

frenkeli
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My Public Mobile monthly payments are automatically charged to my credit card. For any reoccuring bills, the credit card calculates cash back reward, however PM is not registered service provider with the Scotiabank visa momentum card. How do we get PM to register with this credit card and to be recognised, similar to other phone plans companies?

10 REPLIES 10

learn4ever
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It seems so. Just finished an hour long conversation with Scotia bank. The Scotia bank is adamant that it is the Public Mobile who did not setup the autopay correctly to qualify as recurring bill payments, therefore will be treated as other category for cash back.

If the goal is to earn the reoccurring bill cash back rate usually 2% unless you have the higher annual fee card with a 4% rate then your best return would be on gas station purchases and grocery stores. Purchasing vouchers at Shell or canadian tire gas bars should fall under this categoy and earn the higher rate.

@iPhoneUser wrote:

So all of my CC’s are cash back. The recurring bill is not offered I believe. But outside of that recurring bill reward does PM accept cash back cards? And is my BMO MC, Home Trust Visa and BNS MC giving me cash back on my PM purchases? I bit off topic but close. 

Yes, Public Mobile accepts credit cards that give cashback to customers. Public Mobile doesn't see them as cashback cards, but rather just as Visa/Mastercard/Amex. From what I've seen most cashback cards have a base cashback percentage, but usually offer a higher rate for shopping at retailers classified as either grocery stores or gas stations.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

What you said it true. However, that won't be any help to the member receiving the higher credit card issuer cashback, which we've already discovered can't be done. Cashback will likely be at a lower percentage, although I'm not familar with the exact details of this credit card.

Right, shame that Autopay does not count towards the Recurring bills category. In this particular case though, there are several versions of the Scotia Momentum but all of them have the same cash back percentage for groceries and recurring bills. So my suggestion still stands.

Personally I was thinking of the Visa Infinite when answering (4% back on groceries and recurring bills = $$$ lol) 

@iPhoneUser : Yes you can. PM accepts all Canadian Visa, Mastercard, and American Express cards. PM Autopay will earn you cashback under the "all other purchases" or "everything else" category from your card.

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So all of my CC’s are cash back. The recurring bill is not offered I believe. But outside of that recurring bill reward does PM accept cash back cards? And is my BMO MC, Home Trust Visa and BNS MC giving me cash back on my PM purchases? I bit off topic but close. 

fjpublic
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@frenkeli wrote:

My Public Mobile monthly payments are automatically charged to my credit card. For any reoccuring bills, the credit card calculates cash back reward, however PM is not registered service provider with the Scotiabank visa momentum card. How do we get PM to register with this credit card and to be recognised, similar to other phone plans companies?

Go to my account>payment > Manage Auto pay> . Then set your any cashback or rewards cards. Better if you set 2% cashback credit card for Bill payement then your cashback earning will be much higher than Scotia momentum. In market tangerine is giving this option. You may think or use existing scotia 1% card

@fujiyama wrote:

You can buy top up vouchers at a grocery store and earn cashback that way.

It's more work but vouchers seem like a good idea now (to me) because I just saw other posts about Autopay suddenly not working, causing temp. loss of phone service and the $2 credit.

So with vouchers, one can get cashback and prevent autopay screw ups, win-win lol

What you said it true. However, that won't be any help to the member receiving the higher credit card issuer cashback, which we've already discovered can't be done. Cashback will likely be at a lower percentage, although I'm not familar with the exact details of this credit card.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You can buy top up vouchers at a grocery store and earn cashback that way.

It's more work but vouchers seem like a good idea now (to me) because I just saw other posts about Autopay suddenly not working, causing temp. loss of phone service and the $2 credit.

So with vouchers, one can get cashback and prevent autopay screw ups, win-win lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

@frenkeli wrote:

The way I understand it is that this is not a recurring payment per se. Those would be for fixed day of the month payments. This place is a floating 30 days.

But maybe others have had success with other companies with floating days.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I think this or similar have been asked before. If I recall correctly the simple answer is no it is not possible.  I believe because public is prepaid and it is not handled like true "bills". Or because the payment system quite fragile.

Need Help? Let's chat.