cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Referral & sign up timing

jaganrao
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I want to refer a family member this month using the referal code. However, her current plan with another service provider ends only on 26th Dec. She would like to retain her current phone number even after changing to PM. So please advise on what date(s) she should (i) get the sim card and (ii) sign up (using the referal code) with Public Mobile? Will it be possible for her to sign up now but the plan taking effect on 26th? Thank you very much.

11 REPLIES 11

letItBe
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The 647-yyy-yyyy will work , it's a new Public Mobile number and you will get the bonus and the Holiday add-ons free when you add them in "My add on". This is applicable only upon activation, not just purchasing the sim.

You can port the other number later but I feel its best to do it while that number is active, you will genrally pay a very small difference to closing the account early.

FYI, I'm not a MOD.

Suganglittle
  1. The referral bonus would only be earned at activation Not when you purchase the sim card

@jaganrao wrote:

Thank you all. Just to confirm - if she signs up now and gets a new number, is it allowed/straightforward to port her current number (other company) in 3 weeks?

So if her number is 647-XXX-XXXX now, and public mobile gives her 647-YYY-YYYY today, she will have access to the YYYY number on public mobile (and be paying for it) until she ports, and then there's a way to port and lose the YYYY number but replace with XXXX

Second question - if she buys the sim card right now, does she start paying for her first month right now, or only after it is delivered and manually activated?

Thank you!

You would start paying your plan once you activate it.  You can port a number in later if you wish.

jaganrao

Thank you all. Just to confirm - if she signs up now and gets a new number, is it allowed/straightforward to port her current number (other company) in 3 weeks?

So if her number is 647-XXX-XXXX now, and public mobile gives her 647-YYY-YYYY today, she will have access to the YYYY number on public mobile (and be paying for it) until she ports, and then there's a way to port and lose the YYYY number but replace with XXXX

Second question - if she buys the sim card right now, does she start paying for her first month right now, or only after it is delivered and manually activated?

Thank you!

hss
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I would recommend suggesting her to Join now.
She can get an extra 1Gb of data on the plans above $35 which is valid from 4 Dec to 8 Dec.
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans/1GB-bonus

Also, she gets a $10 credit and you too get $20 credit for referring her. (for a limited time)
Some cell providers just charge you for 2-3 days more from day of porting out( just for postpaid accoints).

Another alternative would be to take advantage of the deal before Dec 8 and get a new number on PM and port it afterwards. [ Do not cancel account before porting out].
Remeber that if she get a new plan of $35+ before Dec 8, she gets an extra 1 Gb data for as long as the plan is active. That would effectively give her double the data on the $35 plan.

DL888
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You can sign up now and activate the SIM, select a new number then port over her current # at a later date. Keep in mind that her number with the other carrier MUST BE ACTIVE at the time of porting. So I would suggest her to port a few days before her contract ends to account for porting issues she may encounter. 

arbleafsfan

I can't comment on the refferal code as I'm new here myself.  That being said I am new here myself and just went through this.  She can get the sim card whenever as they don't expire.  If they get it off amizon, you can get it for a bit cheaper and will likely arrive sooner.  If she wants to keep her number, do it BEFORE the other service runs out.  If she is one a rate plan, she can do it now and she should only be charged for part of the month from her current provider.  When she does sign up, she should get a confirmation that her number has been ported within a few hours and will get her refferal bonus within a day or 2.  I would imagine a similar timeline for yourself.

TL:DR

Not sure when current refferal promo will end.

jaganrao

Thank you very much for your quick response/suggestion.

jaganrao

Thank you very much for the quick response and suggestion.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jaganrao 

From my past experience, the promo without an end date will get a few days notice from PM before expiry.

Your current family member's plan ends on Dec 26, I would activate a PM plan on around Dec 20 to allow a day to test the service before porting number to PM.  Don't wait for Dec 26.

If we get a notice from PM with an end date, do it ASAP.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

First of all, Activating is immediate. As for when to do it, the current referral promo may expire at any time so the sooner the better for you to receive the extra $20.

Best thing would be to sign up your friend to a NEW TEMPORARY, a few days before the 26th and then port their number the day before or the day of. However, you may lose that $20, the longer you wait, but not the $1 per month as long as they stay with PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.