cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received a "Generic Error" Message & Now SIM Card Isn't Working

McMeagger
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm trying to activate an account/SIM for my dad, and I got through all the steps but on the last page (payment), as it was processing a new page with a "sorry something went wrong but don't panic" page went up.

I received a text saying I referred someone to my phone, and I tried reregistering the SIM card, but the number came up as invalid. I managed to login to my dad's account, but the "plan" page shows up blank, and I receive the same error message whenever I try to get more details, or change the phone number or anything.

I did the phone number transfer over from Telus, and the Public account page does say that number, but the Telus account is also still active and working when the Telus SIM card is in.

I've restarted the phone, and that did nothing. I did a factory reset, and that also did nothing.

The phone is definitely unlocked, and should work on the Public network.

What is the problem, and who should I contact to fix it? Telus? Public?
Is there anything I can do to fix it at home??
Thanks and sorry for the block of text!

10 REPLIES 10

Gonzo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@McMeagger, I haven’t dealt with this personally, so any suggestions are just guesses on my part. According to this link

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/New-SIM-existing-plan/m-p/191254#M151...

other users have switched activated but faulty SIMs. You do need to have your PIN, though. Good luck with that! Frustrating for a last minute problem.

McMeagger

I logged in to the self serve account and, unlike yesterday, the plan information was all there, along with the correct phone number. The status is listed as active.

Would switching out the SIM card work, or is it worth a shot? I have messaged the moderators, but so much has happened since then that they're behindo n the times and I worry it will take ages for them to get to where we need them to be, and my parents are leaving on a cross Canada trip tomorrow, so it will be harder from me to help them out.

Thanks again.

@McMeagger wrote:

The Telus account was closed this morning by Telus, but the SIM card is still not working. There is a charge for the account on the credit card. Is *611 our best bet now? Or should we try a new SIM card?

It's possible, but unlikely the SIM failed. 611 is no use in this situation as I understand it. Try logging into your self serve account to confirm the plan and phone number are correct, and the Status "active". If all true try rebooting your phone and see what message appears.

It seems the port-out from Telus has been "completed" at their end.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@McMeagger wrote:

The Telus account was closed this morning by Telus, but the SIM card is still not working. There is a charge for the account on the credit card. Is *611 our best bet now? Or should we try a new SIM card?

As already suggested, your only recourse at the moment is to contact the moderator team and have them straighten everything out.  The problems are beyond suggestions the community can offer and what you can do in the online account or 611.

McMeagger

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@McMeagger, the fact that you are unable to see a proper plan in the account suggest that the activation failed to properly apply the plan you selected to the account.  Moreover, ports from Telus take literally seconds to complete.  The fact the Telus SIM card is still active means the porting failed as well.  We have what appears to be the complete catastrophe.  Please contact the moderator team as already suggested and they will be able to assist with correcting everything.  Please note that moderator team response time is around 48 hours these days.  So please be patient and don't send multiple messages.  In your private message please explain in full detail everything.  Leaving stuff out would require back and forth messages which adds to the lead time for problem resolution. 

tbark

If the Telus acct is still open then the port did not take place and it looks like the activation failed. I had the same thing and that burnt the SIM so it cannot be used. You can try to activate on a new SIM, but check to see if your acct has been charged. If it has, PM will credit it back. You could also call 611 to see if they can help. If not send a message to the Moderators.

To get help with your account, activation, or service?

Please contact the Community Moderator Team to get help with your account.

They are Public Mobile support employees who can help with your issue (More details).

Click here to send them a private message.

In your message please include:

PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9am to 9pm, and Sat-Sun 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].

Messages are replied to during business hours and in the order they are received

Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, but can be up to 48 hours.

There is no need to send multiple messages.

*I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me*

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@McMeagger wrote:

I'm trying to activate an account/SIM for my dad, and I got through all the steps but on the last page (payment), as it was processing a new page with a "sorry something went wrong but don't panic" page went up.

I received a text saying I referred someone to my phone, and I tried reregistering the SIM card, but the number came up as invalid. I managed to login to my dad's account, but the "plan" page shows up blank, and I receive the same error message whenever I try to get more details, or change the phone number or anything.

I did the phone number transfer over from Telus, and the Public account page does say that number, but the Telus account is also still active and working when the Telus SIM card is in.

I've restarted the phone, and that did nothing. I did a factory reset, and that also did nothing.

In the meantime just keep using the Telus SIM. If it stops working you know the port is complete.

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@McMeagger wrote:

HI,

Sorrry about the problems with your daps account.

This could just take a little while to complete or it may be a stuck port.

PM belongs to Telus so Contact the PM Mods 

To get help with your account, activation, or service?

Please contact the Community Moderator Team to get gelp with your account.

They are Public Mobile support employees who can help with your issue (More details).

Click here to send them a private message.

In your message please include:

PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9am to 9pm, and Sat-Sun 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].

Messages are replied to during business hours and in the order they are received

Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, but can be up to 48 hours.

There is no need to send multiple messages.

Some good posts/reads:

Search PM GUIDE to find some great posts and answers to many common questions

If either response to your particular request leads to the resolution of your issue , please help other community members by marking that post as the solution. Thank You

Gonzo

Hopefully a user with more experience can weigh in here, but from what I have seen on these forums, some ports can take a few hours to go through. Keep track of whether or not your Telus SIM is working. If/when it no longer does, your PM SIM hopefully will have completed the port. Check your credit card and see if PM has placed a hold yet.

AND DON’T CANCEL YOUR TELUS ACCOUNT! You will lose the number if you do. If the port fails to go through, contact the @CS_Agent to complete the port from the PM side.

Need Help? Let's chat.