cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready alert system to 3G plans?

Addicted2fishin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi folks. Last night in the Toronto area we had an unthinkable act committed. An amber alert was sent out at 11 PM roughly. It didn’t go off on my phone at least not audible. If I wasn’t on wifi and with a 3G plan would I still get them ? Or only 4G? 

9 REPLIES 9

MJ23
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My phone was on wifi, alert didn’t sound, rather a message appeared. I preferred no alarms and happy that’s what happened.

mj23

@Alex888 wrote:
@Addicted2fishinOn an iPhone 7+ go to Settings --> Notification --> Government Alerts --> turn on Emergency Alerts.

The settings make no difference. The alert system ignores those settings.

@Addicted2fishin On an iPhone 7+ go to Settings --> Notification --> Government Alerts --> turn on Emergency Alerts.

@Psygineer wrote:

I got one on my 3G plan with my data turned off and the phone on Do Not Disturb at 1amish. So it could just be disabled on your phone (if it lets you some people say the disable does nothing). It's also possible your phone is not compatible.

These alerts do not require any data, nor any type of internet connection.  It's all about the network type that you're connected to.

Addicted2fishin

You guys are too fast for me! Ha ha. By the time I type you guys have already answered it. For the record this is the coolest thing ever lol. Instant answers. I don’t post much as I don’t want to be a bother here but it’s great! Keep it up folks! 

Addicted2fishin

Weird. I will have to search deep into my settings. If it’s not activated on vibrate that’s one thing but I don’t want it disabled either If that’s even a setting

iPhone 7+ and up to date software using wifi at home and 3G plan. However my phone does display LTE for some reason when off wifi 

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

You must have a compatible phone on the LTE network.  You can have the ‘3G Speed’ plan, or the full full LTE plan.

If you have forced your phone to connect to only 3G or lower, you will not receive the alerts.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Addicted2fishin, these amber alerts apparently only work when a phone is connected to the LTE network and on devices that are WPA compatible.  See the link below for more discussion on this.  Being on WiFi will disable mobile data but will not interfere with the alerts.  Note that the Public Mobile plans are LTE plans.  The data speed is throttled and thus the reference to 3G speeds. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Not-receiving-amber-alerts/m-p/326897

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I got one on my 3G plan with my data turned off and the phone on Do Not Disturb at 1amish. So it could just be disabled on your phone (if it lets you some people say the disable does nothing). It's also possible your phone is not compatible.

Need Help? Let's chat.