cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reactivate an old number

Kubra
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'd like to try and reactivate an old number. Anyone got any ideas or had some success doing this ?

15 REPLIES 15

Mmariapiehl

you are Awesome thank you 

@Mmariapiehl first you probably should call the number and see if anyone picks up or if it is out of service. If someone answers you are out of luck.  

To reach moderators you have two way. Click the ? questions mark bottom right to open a ticket via the chat bot or send them a private message at link below.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Mmariapiehl

It’s a public mobile number I have been trying to figure out how to contact a moderator can’t figure it out ... could you please direct me thank you 

@Mmariapiehl 

If the old number was originally from telus/koodo/pm there's a chance. Your best bet would be to contact the moderators and explain your situation.

Mmariapiehl

Few days ago I changed my number not realizing how many things have verification on the old number 

can I get my old card number back on another sim so I can the text messages on that old number so I can change the accounts to the new number 

Kubra

Thanks 'g', i have done all that, and have contacted a moderator. Apparently there is a possibility i can retreive it still, as the number hasnt been reassigned and is not in service. The real question is, in whose 'pool' the number might be in. Chatr, the provider that had it most recently, doesnt have it now. Its possible/likely that it may have reverted to the original pool from which it was drawn, which in my case was Koodo. One of the moderators is following up with them on my behalf, not sure what the oucome may be. Thanks for your help and follwow up...

@Kubra  my original post said to set up a new account with new SIM card and and choose a temporary cell phone number. One that you like( in case it's impossible to get it back) and then contact the moderators and ask them to help you if possible to retrieve your old number. 

Here's 3 articles on activation and the Refer a friend reward  if you need them:

1. What you require to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/what-you-need-to-activate
2.How to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up
3.Refer a friend https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/the-refer-a-friend-reward

Kubra

So gblackma, how do i reach out to a moderator for assistance ? My old number is not currently in service...

Kubra

And i just rang my old  umber and got the following message : "UV1 The number you have reached is not in service. So i say again, if my old number is not in service is there a way it can be retrieved and linked to my PM account ?

Since it was a Koodo number, its back with Telus. @Kubra get a new SIM card create a new account. You can use the same email of the closed Account. Choose a temporary number that you would like. Contact the moderators and ask them if they can catch your old one for you and apply it to the new account . The is a very slim chance that you may get it back. Welcome back. Stay safe. 

Kubra

And just to muddy the waters more, the number was originally taken out under Koodo, for several years, then was migrateed to a Bell corporate account, them 'liberated' over to Chatr when i retired late last year, prior to my downunder adventure.

Kubra

I thought if a number was deactivated and no one else had taken it, it would still be available, regardless of who was the former carrier. I havent tried ringing it to see if it has been taken, and if it has that will be that... so thats what ill try.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kubra 

Sounds like your case is to do with Chatr. Not sure what PM can do for you.

Maybe Chatr can find some goodwill in their cold (Rogers) hearts for your strandedness.

If the number originated with Chatr then only they can reunite you with it if it's not already taken.

Kubra

Thanks for the reply z1. The number has been inactive 7 months, i was 'stranded' overseas and coundnt return till today. It was previously with Chatr. I opened an account with them as i was told they would hold a number on an inactive account for 180 days. I rang them today and learned that their deactivation period was adjusted down to 90 days back in may 2019, this information was not provided to either the reseller or myself.

The real issue is, that number is registered on a number of other accounts for multifactor authentification purposes, and changing them is problematic. So i was hoping to reinstate that number on my PM sim.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kubra wrote:

I'd like to try and reactivate an old number. Anyone got any ideas or had some success doing this ?

Old number as in how old?

Old number as in where from?

For previously existing accounts here, you can restart an account before 90 days after it was suspended.

"Old number" from elsewhere...try dialing it and see if someone answers.

Where did the number originate? If not Public Mobile or remotely possibly Telus or Koodo then you'd have to go and track it down with the provider-owner of the number.

Need Help? Let's chat.