cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unable to download pictures

KatJ
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm a new member, and just set up my phone last week.  I can't download pictures (texted) unless I'm connected to wifi, so I came to the community for a solution. 

I checked my settings (as listed by RossNMayor/Marie), and they're almost exactly the same - except the name is Public Mobile 2, not Public Mobile, and the MVNO is 4D instead of 4D4F. 

Would those small differences prevent pictures from downloading and, if so, why are those the ones that were created a week ago when I got my SIM card?

If I click on a picture in a text message, it just cycles and then tells me the picture couldn't be downloaded.

12 REPLIES 12

station1104
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I work at a cell repair shop glad to help here if i can.

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Great answers @geopublic , @Jb456 , and @station1104! You rock Smiley Very Happy

KatJ

I added MMS to the APN type, turned off Wifi, and was able to see a texted picture.  

Thanks for the help!

station1104
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Make sure your apn settings are right for public .

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile

@KatJ  Go into your messages settings -> advanced and make sure auto download MMS is selected.

KatJ

I thought I had said the type of phone - it's a Samsung Galaxy A5.

KatJ

I'm using Messages 

KatJ

I have my data turned on.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@KatJ wrote:

I'm a new member, and just set up my phone last week.  I can't download pictures (texted) unless I'm connected to wifi, so I came to the community for a solution. 

I checked my settings (as listed by RossNMayor/Marie), and they're almost exactly the same - except the name is Public Mobile 2, not Public Mobile, and the MVNO is 4D instead of 4D4F. 

Would those small differences prevent pictures from downloading and, if so, why are those the ones that were created a week ago when I got my SIM card?

If I click on a picture in a text message, it just cycles and then tells me the picture couldn't be downloaded.

@KatJ  APN name and MVNO are not important as long as your APN type had mms as part of the string. If it doesn't then just add it 

Also you need to keep data on for MMS to work even though it doesn't use data.

You should let us know what type of phone do you have. If it's an iPhone make sure iMessage is configured for MMS and SMS.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@KatJ wrote:

@KatJ 

It sounds like you do not have your data turned on.

I get same thing you listed above if my data is turned off. Although my old phone (Honor 6x) I never had data turned on at all and was able to send / receive picture messages. However new phone Huawei P20 the good people of these forums said data needs to be turned on for MMS.

For myself I don't want to have data always running in background so I still leave it off...when I get a picture text (Same as what you described above) I turn data on for a second, receive picture, then turn data off again.

As for your phone. Majority has option to manually create a new APN.. without knowing the model of your phone I can't give you the steps to do it however what you can do is a google search. Example if your phone is a Huawei P20 you would google "Huawei P20 APN SETTINGS" and you should be able to find out how to manually create a new APN setting.

They should be as followed. 

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@KatJIt doesn't sound like a problem with Public Mobile service but with your phone configuraiton.  Since you are able to modify your APN, it is probably an Android phone.

Beside the question @Luddite had posed. What texting software are you using?

If you are using a Samsung phone, I would recommend walking into a Samsung Store if you live near one and get help. It is way easier since your help will be right there with you and able to walk you through the steps.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

What is make/model of your phone?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.