cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Switching from Fido to PM

ali47
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sorry to latch on to this thread but just wanted to ask about how the process will go when switching from Fido. I have just activated my Public Mobile SIM using my old Fido number and am assuming the porting process is happening now since I received a text from Fido about it. Since I have a few days remaining on my current Fido bill cycle, will I be receiving an email about the last Fido bill? Also, when the port is done, will I also be receiving a notice from Fido that my account has been closed?

11 REPLIES 11

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

I'm not suggesting not paying your bill ( the account was in good standing when closed) I was only advising @ali47  to fido's billing process once an account is closed as you had thought the final bill would be paper billing.

Aside from the myriad of issues I had with fido by being the account holder but not the account user my requests for paper billing was due to the fact that billing was sent to the users email and associated account. Without authorized access to the online account or associated email and fido decision to stop paper billing despite me having a legislated exception caused a serious issue by expecting me to pay for a service using blind faith rather than trying to accommodate the significant flaw in their billing practices and led to open abuse by fido and their practice of monthly billing errors being charged each month unless disputed. I can't be expected to pay a bill that I have not been given the opportunity to access to review and approve.

I don't disagree, but the payment system doesn't care if the issue is a customer service one or that you don't have a paper bill. About a month later, the amount due would be marked late even if you are still waiting on Fido.   As for paper billing for the final bill, that did used to be the official policy at some carriers, even if all previous bills were sent online.  It can get tricky because no customer wants to overpay, so while no one wants to overpay and then need to wait possibly a prolonged period of time for any refund, skipping a payment would also cause those late charges, even if you're expecting a negative balance owing on the following bill.

@computergeek541 

I'm not suggesting not paying your bill ( the account was in good standing when closed) I was only advising @ali47  to fido's billing process once an account is closed as you had thought the final bill would be paper billing.

Aside from the myriad of issues I had with fido by being the account holder but not the account user my requests for paper billing was due to the fact that billing was sent to the users email and associated account. Without authorized access to the online account or associated email and fido decision to stop paper billing despite me having a legislated exception caused a serious issue by expecting me to pay for a service using blind faith rather than trying to accommodate the significant flaw in their billing practices and led to open abuse by fido and their practice of monthly billing errors being charged each month unless disputed. I can't be expected to pay a bill that I have not been given the opportunity to access to review and approve.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ali47 

If you are planning to your Fido phone with PM, make sure it is unlocked.  Request unlock code before porting out your Fido number.  If you already port your number out, you have up to 1 year to request your unlock code without any unlock fee.  Rogers/Fido changed the unlock rule end of April 2020.

@darlicious 

Unfortunately, by refusing to pay for extended period of time, the payment system will automatically add late charges.

The same goes for if someone deliberaely skips paying for a bill because a prorated refund is expected on the next.

Principles aside over wanting a paper bill, waiting is nothing that I would suggest.  Late payments can harm any future relationship that you have with the carrier when that final online bill can either be saved electronically or printed out. Also, if the account gets sent to collections, your credit history will unnecessarily be harmed.

@computergeek541  @ali47 

As of September of 2019 you will get a warning on your online fido account when you log in. You can still access most parts of your online account bug you will not be able to make any changes etc....once you've ported out your number. You will be given your final bill online. They were more than two weeks late issuing/uploading the final bill to the online account. Despite requesting a paper bill they did not do so until the third request by me when they called demanding payment. They finally sent the paper bill two weeks after the third request by me when i told them i dont pay final bills without a paper copy so I can review it for unwarranted extra billing charges (and there was just like every month.)

Make sure you download all your bills, request your original agreement/contract and/or device subsidy agreement while you are still a customer (unlock your phone if applicable) and remove any porting protection you may have on your account.

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Welcome to Public Mobile @ali47 basically if its Fido prepaid, you lose the 3 days. Postpaid you pay your last bill excluding the 3 days. If you already paid via credit card, you will be refunded the 3 days. Just log in and remove your credit card payment information if applicable.

@ali47 wrote:

@computergeek541 

Thanks for the info! Would you happen to know in the case that the final bill from Fido is going to be sent by postal mail, am I not going to be able to see the balance I owe updated in my online Fido account?

This was some years ago, but from what I recall, the login to the Fido account would still work, but because there was no active service, it wouldn't let you perform any activities (including payments), but did show the balance. 

ali47
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@computergeek541 

Thanks for the info! Would you happen to know in the case that the final bill from Fido is going to be sent by postal mail, am I not going to be able to see the balance I owe updated in my online Fido account?

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ali47 

@ali47 wrote:

Sorry to latch on to this thread but just wanted to ask about how the process will go when switching from Fido. I have just activated my Public Mobile SIM using my old Fido number and am assuming the porting process is happening now since I received a text from Fido about it. Since I have a few days remaining on my current Fido bill cycle, will I be receiving an email about the last Fido bill? Also, when the port is done, will I also be receiving a notice from Fido that my account has been closed?

Welcome to Public Mobile, maybe you could you remove your credit card on file with Fido, to guarantee, no extra charges.

@ali47

If you're a postpaid Fido customer, you'll get back money returned for unused days from that partial last month.  If it's a prepaid Fido account, you won't get anything back.

From my experiences, when porting out from a Fido postpaid account, your self serve account immediately gets partially locked out and you will not be able to see your online bill or make an online self serve payment, although account balance will show.  It's also my experience that even if you were on online billing, the final bill will be sent by postal mail. To make payment, you'd either have to use online banking or call the Fido call centre to make a payment.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ali47 

Fido will issue you a prorated bill on the normal day they add it to your online account and once your account is closed you will see a notice on your online account. Welcome to public mobile!

Need Help? Let's chat.