cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ported number into Public Mobile incoming calls

BuzzingAround
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am having similar issue trying to port a landline to a mobile phone that had been previously cancelled. Current provider say they have not received a port request from Public. It is now going on to 4 days.

10 REPLIES 10

Yes.. porting from landline or VoIP provider is way too long,..   Glad it all works out in the end.  

Enjoy the service.

BuzzingAround

Thank you to everyone for their responses. It took a full 7-8 business days for the porting request to be completed but we are now fully operational. One minor issue was resolved by my previous carrier (received request included removal of a service not requested by me). I was notified of the porting request by my previous carrier on day 6. For anyone else having this issue, make sure you do contact your previous carrier to ensure the porting request is correct. 

@softech wrote:

yes, for porting, landline or mobile , it is normal that outgoing call will work work immediately while incoming calls will work when the porting is completed.

This a byproduct of how the Telus family of brands do number porting.  I personally disagree with Public Mobile using this method as I consider it to be security concern. If I were to grab a random number from another carrier try to port it in and knowlingly enter incorrect account number for the old carrier, I'd still receive text messages that were meant for the real user of that phone number as long as it was sent by another Telus customer. That's an unacceptable security concern. On the contrary, there are some carries (ex. Rogers) who only assign the number to be ported in after the number has port has been fully completed.

yes, for porting, landline or mobile , it is normal that outgoing call will work work immediately while incoming calls will work when the porting is completed.

As there is no SMS to receive and reply for porting from landline,  it's a bit more confusing.  In terms of the long time, I am not sure it is entirely PM issue.  I think the process is like this.  3 to 5 business days (I would say reality is 5 to 7 business days).

thompsonpaul
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@BuzzingAround  I just went through the same issue with a landline I was porting. It took 5 1/2 days to complete. It's quite the confusing process as parts of the service would work (like texting) and both the phone and my Public account all indicated they were operating on the new number, but it was several more days before the calling-in functionality actually started to work.

Public seems to take a loooong time to send the final port request to the originating carrier, and there were no useful status updates at all during the process. If you can afford to wait another 2 days, see if it will complete. (You also won't get any notification it's done, you'll just find that suddenly the phone can start receiving calls properly.)

It's a pretty unsatisfactory process, but mine did get there in the end. 

When I tried to check with my originating carrier, each time they replied that they still hadn't received the porting request from Public - like you. So if you do want to try to check up on what's going on, you can try calling the Telus/Public porting troubleshooting folks that you were provided elsewhere in this thread 'cuz your originating landline carrier likely won't have any Public request to act on. (The only exception would be if there was an error in the information/account number you provided for the port request, but Public's troubleshooting team should be able to inform you of such an issue as again the originating carrier won't have much info to help you with.)

Bottom line... patience. A landline port takes a lot longer than you want it to and than you think it should.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@BuzzingAround wrote:

I am having similar issue trying to port a landline to a mobile phone that had been previously cancelled. Current provider say they have not received a port request from Public. It is now going on to 4 days.

@BuzzingAround 

Your Roger's landline could take up to 7 days (usually less) to complete the porting.

Incoming calls are usually the last to port over.

If issues are still persisting due to the porting contact the Moderators to help you out.

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two methods to reach them:

1 -  Faster - Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right-hand side of your screen,

or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 – Slower - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

@BuzzingAround 

Your port was unsuccessful.  You should be able to call and text out.  But, no incoming calls or texts at your Roger's number.  

Landlines do take several days for port to be completed, but if Rogers said that PM has not requested a port, something went wrong.  You will need to contact moderator to help complete port or you could call the Telus porting team phone number (faster option).  I will PM you the phone number.  

I will also start a new topic for your issue.  

BuzzingAround

Sorry. Forgot to add that my Rogers landline is still operational.

BuzzingAround

The mobile phone a Samsung Galaxy J3 (2018) had been cancelled from Bell with an entirely different number (519-421-). I am trying to port a landline from my current provider Rogers (519-539). I can outgo on the mobile phone which shows my landline number and Public as the provider. I just tried swapping the SIM in/out and airplane mode. When I spoke with Rogers, they say they have not received a port request from Public.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BuzzingAround : You say cancelled but it's not clear which. The service you're leaving needs to be active. Is your service working here for outgoing and internet? Landlines also take longer to finish but you say PM hasn't tried. What are the first 6 digits of the number you're trying to transfer and what provider are you transferring from and what kind of phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.