cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is it a scam if someone gives you a free public mobile sim card ?

7ustin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How can I suspend my number whilst in transit? What if I found out that the giver made a phone call with my sim to a scammer?  What should I do when I receive the sim to protect myself?

46 REPLIES 46

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@7ustin wrote:

I activated the sim and opened an online account myself.  The seller from eBay just verified the last 4 digi of my phone number and posted me the sim.  I still haven’t received it but can see that someone has made a call the a scammer for 30 seconds.  I goggled the number to find out it was the number of a scammer... I’m worry about the security of the sim and help advice on correcting this issue. Thanks

Log into your self service account and put it in lost/stolen mode while it is in transit. You can also change your number every 30 days in self service. Make sure your account has a good password. So the seller knows nothing about your self service account? Eg. Pin, username, password?

@Anonymous wrote:

@7ustin wrote:

How can I suspend my number whilst in transit? What if I found out that the giver made a phone call with my sim to a scammer?  What should I do when I receive the sim to protect myself?

When the SIM arrives, turn on your phone, turn off data, turn off wifi, change networks to GSM only. Turn the phone off. Insert the SIM. Turn on phone. Look in About phone to see if a phone number has been attached to the SIM. If not then the SIM has not been activated.

Wherever you got it from, have they given you any information? Phone number? Account log in? Email address used? PIN created?

You can confirm if a Sim is activated on the PM activation page. 

Who is the scammer? The seller/giver? Have you misunderstood? Was a test call done to confirm the Sim was good before shipped? Did you see the call in your My Account?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. So he held your SIM hostage while he waited for you to use his referral code. That's the last 4 digits thing. I hope your SIM actually arrives. I would use the Lost/stolen feature to suspend it.

Shaking head.

Edit: this was an edit after seeing more from the OP.

7ustin

I activated the sim and opened an online account myself.  The seller from eBay just verified the last 4 digi of my phone number and posted me the sim.  I still haven’t received it but can see that someone has made a call the a scammer for 30 seconds.  I goggled the number to find out it was the number of a scammer... I’m worry about the security of the sim and help advice on correcting this issue. Thanks

@7ustin wrote:

i bought the sim from eBay for the referral deal so had to activate it.  How can I block the scammer’s phone and voicemail?  Maybe change the phone number would help the security?

@7ustin this thread is about giving someone a free sim card.  You should have started your own thread.  anyway, let us know what happens.  Welcome to Public Mobile!

@JK8 

@7ustin has already been asked that. This is a hoax.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@7ustin wrote:

Yes, that’s why I am worry.

Does the seller know your self serve account pin, username and password? Do you know it?

Slow down. Relax. Do some checks in your My Account!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you over thinking?

“What should I do when I receive the sim to protect myself?”

Was it used? Does your account show usage? What is the expected ETA? 

Ship from city to ship to city is?

7ustin

Yes, that’s why I am worry.

7ustin

i bought the sim from eBay for the referral deal so had to activate it.  How can I block the scammer’s phone and voicemail?  Maybe change the phone number would help the security?

Are you over thinking?

“What if I found out that the giver made a phone call with my sim to a scammer?”

The only way to know is to look at your activity in your My Account. Is there any?

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@7ustin wrote:

Hi @7ustin 

Question:  How can I suspend my number whilst in transit?

Answer:  You can only do this if the giver activated the account for you.  Then you can go to your self serve account and suspend your account while you are waiting for the free sim card.  Otherwise, you cannot do this.

Question:  What if I found out that the giver made a phone call with my sim to a scammer? 

Answer:  This could only happen if the sim card had been activated.  Then that sim card is no longer useable to you.

Question:  What should I do when I receive the sim to protect myself?

Answer:  Depends who gave you the free sim card.  If the giver is known to you, then it is probably safe to activate the free sim card... how well do you know this person.  If the giver is unknown to you, it is suggested not to activate the sim card, just to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps.  Stay safe.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Go into your My Account and suspend it. Just go buy another SIM and activate it in My Account.  And in case the giver knows your account ID and password.....change the password. 

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@7ustin wrote:

Did the seller activate your card? Did they create a self service account for you? More information on what the transaction involved would be helpful in assisting you.

Need Help? Let's chat.