cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Help Needed] Let us know about your experience on the Community!

ckkong
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

When I ported my phone, I wasn't asked to set up the voice mail because I had it already set up with the previous provider. 

14 REPLIES 14

So likely a work around by some or all companies to get your number forwarded to you (ported) instantly while more work in the background is needed to make everything permanent.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector  @Korth 

The port was immediate but I didn't set up the voicemail right away so I think the greeting stayed on by default but there was no way to leave a message.

In some cases it would seem possible when porting within Telus companies to have your voicemail remain intact. But seems equally hard to believe it continuing to work moving between competitors! Must be some sort of odd reason for it like porting initially being a temporary reroute (Forward) from the provider that you’ve left that then unanswered call default back to the existing VM if unanswered by you or your new providers VM system. Maybe a few days can go by before a permanent port of a number is in place. Just speculation....

AE_Collector

@darlicious

Probably an incomplete number port. Some incoming calls still being directed to the old number (then to the old voicemail system) because they're flowing across network systems which haven't yet been updated with the change.

Number ports aren't instantaneous everywhere in Canada, each major operator maintains its own registries and hierarchies, and the changes don't filter down to all the machinery everywhere until some scheduled (automated or manual) process implements it at each site.

Strangely it was freedom....and the voicemail message remained for a few days til I think I called it and it prompted me to set up the public mobile voicemail and record a message. But until then callers got the old message.

@darlicious 

Hmm, who was the previous provider of that number? My number was on Telus previously and there was nothing saved from my existing voice mail. However, I DID pick a new number and tried it out for a couple of days and THEN I ported my Telus number in. So, in theory the system may have assumed I had already set up my new voicemail on PM before I ported my old number in that had an existing voice mail set up. 

Thenba few months later I ported my wife’s TELUS number in directly but it was from TELUS prepaid and she used it so little she may never have set up voicemail on it .... I can’t recall.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector  I seem to remember being prompted to set up the voicemail without really understanding what i was doing until it was too late. I had wanted to save the voicemail that was already saved and set up from my previous provider.....once I clued in it was too late to save it.

@ckkong 

Yeah they (PM) don’t seem to send a message about setting up your voice mail. Part of the cost savings around here I guess! Oh well, you got if figured out.

AE_Collector

ckkong

I imported from Koodo. Yes, I noticed that I had to redo my greetings when I checked the voice mail. The funny thing is it doesn't show it on the phone. I had a message from Koodo when I had to set up the voice mail.

@ckkong 

Were you porting from Koodo or TELUS? 

When I ported my Telus mobility number to replace my temporary PM number in December 2018 I had to redo greetings but can't recall if any options seemed to have followed me or not. 

AE_Collector

ckkong

@Korth wrote:

Voicemail settings and messages do apparently transfer when you migrate between Telus, Koodo, and Public.

Or so I've heard from others, often enough to be believable. Haven't confirmed it myself.

You usually don't have to set anything up. The carrier's voicemail service already configures what's needed from the SIM card, it starts doing what voicemail does immediately and automatically. The first time you call you'll be prompted to record a greeting and you'll likely be informed about all the exciting features you can use, but you can just hang up because all this stuff is basically optional.

Hello, I found that only when I received a voice mail then I decided to check the voice mail, so I did have to set it up with the password and record greetings.

Voicemail settings and messages do apparently transfer when you migrate between Telus, Koodo, and Public.

Or so I've heard from others, often enough to be believable. Haven't confirmed it myself.

You usually don't have to set anything up. The carrier's voicemail service already configures what's needed from the SIM card, it starts doing what voicemail does immediately and automatically. The first time you call you'll be prompted to record a greeting and you'll likely be informed about all the exciting features you can use, but you can just hang up because all this stuff is basically optional.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ckkong , IIRC on first use there's some guidance to set up basic aspects of the voice mail.  Honestly there's not much to it other than providing a greeting.  

@ckkong wrote:

When I ported my phone, I wasn't asked to set up the voice mail because I had it already set up with the previous provider. 

Voicemail accounts don't follow you when porting a number. You do need to set it up at the new carrier. The message boxes at both carriers are seperate.

Need Help? Let's chat.