cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Wireless Home Phone with Public Mobile

Poogzley
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If I wanted to have a Wireless Home Phone system similar to that of Telus and Rogers would that be possible with Public Mobile?

Where could I purchase the necessary hardware from?

Are there any disadvantages to doing this?

I would really appreciate your suggestions and feedback Cat Very Happy

Rogers system: rogers.com/consumer/wireless/wireless-home-phone

Telus system: telus.com/en/bc/mobility/device/wireless-home-phone/

17 REPLIES 17

Barth
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm a little late to the conversation—back from vacationing—to offer a different approach to your opportunity. VTech's Connect to Cell™ technology enables their handsets to be extensions of your smartphone.

The advantages from my perspective are: (1) mobile charging in one place is still available for calls, (2) reduce GSM deadzones, and (3) avoid addicting device distraction.

https://phones.vtechcanada.com/en/pd/1904/DS6421-26-2-Handset-Connect-to-Cell-Answering-System-with-...

ETA: Oops, I didn't read the 2nd page of discussion. This was already suggested.

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I agree...no Kudos to Koodo from my end....

bridonca

@will13am wrote:

@bridonca wrote:

The Koodo Home Phone box works fine unmodified, with Public Mobile SIM cards.  I personally checked.  These boxes tend to be pretty cheap top get on Kijiji.   The $20 plan is perfect for these boxes.

Why bother when Koodo charges less?  

Koodo charges $5 for a year, then it goes up to $20 a month.  The box is around $50, which you have to buy to get the Koodo deal.  These boxes are a lot cheaper on Kijiji.  As you know, you have a lot more flexability with Public Mobile than you do with Koodo.  And the bill goes down the longer you are with Public Mobile!  Prepaid is certainly a draw also.  And from personal experience, Koodo is harder to deal with!   I am still getting billing issues!

smp99

I have used PM with these devices and it works fine. I used an old Huawei Telus branded B8990 data modem with phone port. It also works fine with a ZTE 721 so long as it is a Koodo or TELUS brand. They are supposed to be unlocked now but old stock on Kijiji is still likely lock. 

So I recommend getting a used ZTE721 on kijiji should be about $20

mh1983

An alternative is to use your PM cell plan via a cordless handset w/ a bluetooth functionality, like this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Cordless-Bluetooth-Connect-Handset-Speaker/product-reviews/B00JZH7S40/ref=cm_c...

This works without a landline; you just pair your cell phone to the base and then can take calls on the cordless phone. It'd be recommended to have one of the unlimited talk plans if you're going that route.

Others mentioned Fongo and I'd recommend that service, too, if you need a separate phone line for whatever reason, but you need to make sure your internet is good enough for VoIP (the upload speed is more important than the download speed, so 1-2 mbps minimum is recommended.)

@bridonca wrote:

The Koodo Home Phone box works fine unmodified, with Public Mobile SIM cards.  I personally checked.  These boxes tend to be pretty cheap top get on Kijiji.   The $20 plan is perfect for these boxes.

Why bother when Koodo charges less?  

bridonca

Poogzley

@tbark wrote:

Most wireless home phone service is VoIP, so you better check that as these solutions may not work.

I thought that those wireless home phone modems just operated as a regular cellular phone except it had a plug to interface with a classic home phone.

--edit--

I agree with @will13am 's explanation.

@tbark wrote:

Most wireless home phone service is VoIP, so you better check that as these solutions may not work.

Wireless home phone uses the cell towers and the quality is similar to using a cell phone.  VoIP uses the home internet.  

tbark

Poogzley

@popping wrote: "BTW, there is no monthly fee for Fongo VoIP home phone.  I spent about $100 for ATA hardware, Fongo connection fee and number porting fee about 4 years ag.

I already use Fongo for work and love it! That being said the internet at home is not reliable enough to use it with a VoIP service

@mimmo wrote:

@Poogzleyno experience in this but i would assume it would not be an issue.  you just need to make sure the device/adapter  will accept the sim.  so it either needs to be unlocked or if its anything like phone hardware locked to koodo or telus. 

Also when i was looking into this a while back I wanted to "power"  my whole house, not just 1-2 phones.  I came to the conclusion that i would have to open the tel box at the corner of the house and disconect the line coming from telus. this way I could plug the adapter into one of my tel wall jacks.  never tested it though.

The wireless home phone units can be used to feed a signal into the home phone wiring network.  I believe these units typically have enough power to operate up to 5 phone units.  You do have to disconnect from the incoming Telus service at the demarcation which should pretty easy to do.  My demarcation is a basic phone jack which I just unplug.  

@Poogzley wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Poogzley, Public Mobile does not sell a wireless home phone solution.  If you are looking for something similar to the systems you mention, I suggest taking a look at the Koodo brand offering.  It is the least expensive at the moment.  I have recommended this to a number of friends and family who are really liking the service.

https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/wireless-home-phone

5$/Month for the first year 20$/Month thereafter, that is very interesting...

Do you know if this is on a contract?

That being said I am hesitant to return to Koodo as I have as I had a few bad experiences with them in the past.

No contract, it's a month to month service.  I am sure there's an opportunity to renegotiate after the first year. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mimmo wrote:

@Poogzleyno experience in this but i would assume it would not be an issue.  you just need to make sure the device/adapter  will accept the sim.  so it either needs to be unlocked or if its anything like phone hardware locked to koodo or telus. 

Also when i was looking into this a while back I wanted to "power"  my whole house, not just 1-2 phones.  I came to the conclusion that i would have to open the tel box at the corner of the house and disconect the line coming from telus. this way I could plug the adapter into one of my tel wall jacks.  never tested it though.

Disconnect the Telus wires coming in your house should work.  I have Fongo VoIP home phone with ATA plug into one of phone jack.  All my existing phone works.  Also, most houses are wired with 2 twisted pair cable.  I used 1 pair for my Fongo home phone.  ANother pair for Telus Internet/Optik TV service.

BTW, there is no monthly fee for Fongo VoIP home phone.  I spent about $100 for ATA hardware, Fongo connection fee and number porting fee about 4 years ago.

Poogzley

@will13am wrote:

@Poogzley, Public Mobile does not sell a wireless home phone solution.  If you are looking for something similar to the systems you mention, I suggest taking a look at the Koodo brand offering.  It is the least expensive at the moment.  I have recommended this to a number of friends and family who are really liking the service.

5$/Month for the first year 20$/Month thereafter, that is very interesting...

Do you know if this is on a contract?

That being said I am hesitant to return to Koodo as I have as I had a few bad experiences with them in the past.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Need Help? Let's chat.